Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oval dash ? or early model ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Don 944 LA
+1 for better window switches on the early 944
Hard decision, but I'll take the ABS over the window switches...
I think they are quicker off the line as well.
Both my S2 and I would be very disappointed if that were true.

OTOH, a drag race off the line between an early 2.5 and a late 2.5 would be... the Porsche equivalent of the special olympics! (Sorry, couldn't resist...)
& I've had early and late 944NA's
My first 944 was an 86 NA, and somehow, the next logical step seemed to get a later model, not an earlier one...
I do prefer my 83 with the manual rack for handling, although parallel parking is a pain in the butt.
Of course, power steering only really makes a difference at low speeds. If people convert from PS to manual racks, it's because a) they don't want to fix the leaking PS (which is a weak design on these cars) or, b) they are looking to save some weight on a track car.

For street use, give me a (non-leaking) PS rack any day...
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on an early euro, which I like for several reasons, but I had an '86 donor that I took apart and was amazed at the quality of assembly. All connectors are rubber booted, all hoses and wires are tethered, beautiful paint and sealing of panels. We will never see this quality again in cars.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
I wouldn't be without my ABS. Makes an S2 stop on dime when required. Just amazing control.
I don't follow your logic.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86

Of course, power steering only really makes a difference at low speeds. If people convert from PS to manual racks, it's because a) they don't want to fix the leaking PS (which is a weak design on these cars) or, b) they are looking to save some weight on a track car.

For street use, give me a (non-leaking) PS rack any day...
Respectfully I disagree. The feedback and feel from the manual rack is great (IMHO) and is a valid reason for the switch all by itself.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
The issue many people have with the early style is the steering wheel position is cramped (too low and hits your legs) for taller people and the vent ducting is very poor compared to the later style. I do prefer the earlier window switches though. I think it comes down to what rocks your boat; I prefer the look and ergonomics of the later style.
I like the early cars for racing. With a race seat the steering wheel is perfect and the ducting is unimportant. The gauges allow moving the tach for ideal placement. Plus lower initial cost is a plus.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Respectfully I disagree. The feedback and feel from the manual rack is great (IMHO) and is a valid reason for the switch all by itself.
I have to dissagre. Manual forth the track where you can use that extra feel. For the street the low speed effort is not worth it. I perfer a proper power rack.

BTW... my race = 84 tub with manual rack. Street car = 88 Turbo S with power rack. I like the later interior better on the street and I also like the larger fuel tank.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
I still believe that the early dash looks more like a sports car gauge layout. The oval one belongs in a 928.
I respectfully dissagree. I had a girlfriend with an S4 928 and it looks similar at best, but I'd never mistake it for the dash in my 951. I think the interior in the later model 944's is like a dumbed down 928. For instance. I have 4-way adjustable seats and a tilt sunroof, as well as rocker switches galore, but the 928 trumps all those entirely.

With a recessing sunroof, and switches that I think are better designed, the 928 (later models anyway) feels much more luxurious. The S4 will also shame my seats with 8-way adjustables... Still more weight though. But that's due to the car's different overall function as a Gran Touring vehicle, rivaling Mercedes in luxury and power at the time.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Low speed effort with the manual rack really isn't all that great. Not as much as some may think. I know its not for everyone, but it seems just fine for me.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
jstand22
Pro

They both have their pros and cons, it really comes down to personal preference.

The early dash reminds me more of a classic American sports car, circa late 70's. In one word - "sporty"
The late dash gives a more refined feel, more like an early 90's German engineered sports car. In one word - "refined"

They're both cool in their own ways. I think both styles fit the 944 well and bring out different characteristics of the car, and do not belong in the 928 which is a grand touring car that already has a dash to suit.

I will say however that Porsche did make the update for a reason. Car manufactures update cars for a reason...to attempt to increase sales and satisfaction. This is exactly what Porsche did...in addition to modernizing the ergonomics they fixed electrical problems, and updated the engine and drivetrain slightly.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Low speed effort with the manual rack really isn't all that great. Not as much as some may think. I know its not for everyone, but it seems just fine for me.
i have a depowered PS rack and even that is pretty easy at any speed...

Quick Reply: oval dash ? or early model ?