Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009 | 09:06 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Default Paint Question

Hi All-

Not particular to 944, but I have a car paint question. How much does the base primer color affect the final color of a light colored car? I would think on dark cars, this really does not matter, but what about say, red?

Asking because I was in an accident (not the S2) and the repaint of the door and panel look darker to me than the rest of the car. Car is red and I think that they painted the replacement with a black primer when the rest of the car was done with a light color. Would/should I be able to notice a difference?

TIA,
Old 04-04-2009 | 12:06 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Riff
Hi All-

Not particular to 944, but I have a car paint question. How much does the base primer color affect the final color of a light colored car? I would think on dark cars, this really does not matter, but what about say, red?

Asking because I was in an accident (not the S2) and the repaint of the door and panel look darker to me than the rest of the car. Car is red and I think that they painted the replacement with a black primer when the rest of the car was done with a light color. Would/should I be able to notice a difference?

TIA,
If they did a **** poor job of matching the color, or mixing the paint, the primer wouldn't make a difference, but there are far more variables than just the primer color...
Old 04-04-2009 | 12:33 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Bottom line is they need to match it and repaint it. they are responsilbe for final colour match .
Old 04-04-2009 | 12:41 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by theiceman
Bottom line is they need to match it and repaint it. they are responsilbe for final colour match .
+1, it can be done, they have the technology, they can finish it better, faster, stronger, but damn it make them finish it correctly...

Quick Reply: Paint Question