Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:46 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

I just replaced a burnt exhaust valve and had the head rebuilt. I am now loosing some coolant which seems to be collecting on the top of the bell housing. I shot some pics whcih aren't the greates. The coolant is collecting in the area where you see the washer. I dont kow how the washer got ther but i figured it is a good way to describe the area. The yellow is the oil cap.

Any idea where the coolant is leaking from?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the heater control valve. The only other thing that can be leaking back there is the coolant pipe that attaches on the back of the cylinder head for the heater core. Based on its location i would place my bet on either of the two hoses for the heater control valve or the valve itself leaking.

If you have the car down at the auto-x tomorrow ill take a look at it. Im not going to run my car but will stop by and hang out for a little.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

I would appreciate you taking a look. I tried and couldn't find it. I know we replaced one of the hoses back there but can't find it. Thanks and see you tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Sounds like the heater control valve or as Dan says the hose at the end of that hard pipe. You might want to put some duct tape over the TDC hole near the sensors until you fix the leak. There are several cases here where a coolant leak from the valve ran down to the pilot bearing and ruined the bearing.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:03 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Sounds like the heater control valve or as Dan says the hose at the end of that hard pipe. You might want to put some duct tape over the TDC hole near the sensors until you fix the leak. There are several cases here where a coolant leak from the valve ran down to the pilot bearing and ruined the bearing.
I took another look and it seems where the hose is connected to is dry. The coolant is furthur forward than the TDC hole and lower.

In the bottom pic above there is a puddle of coolant but it is hidden under the hose you see. The half-moon thing you see is a washer that fell there from I don't know where.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got done doing a headgasket job on Knfeprtys car and ran into a similar problem, where the coolant pipe attaches to the head wouldnt seal after i removed it to send the head out. I replaced that piece that bolts onto the head and no more problems. I would rent a coolant pressure tester pump it up to 15psi and see where its leaking from, my guess, since you just had the head off, either the hose attachment point or the pipe to head.

Mark
Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

This might be a better picture. I pressurized the system and the coolant seemed to be flowing slowly into the area from the front toward the back...Left to right on the picture. Againt he area is where the washer is resting. Coolant flow seems to be following the arrow.

[

Last edited by jeeper31; 03-31-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by marky522
I just got done doing a headgasket job on Knfeprtys car and ran into a similar problem, where the coolant pipe attaches to the head wouldnt seal after i removed it to send the head out. I replaced that piece that bolts onto the head and no more problems. I would rent a coolant pressure tester pump it up to 15psi and see where its leaking from, my guess, since you just had the head off, either the hose attachment point or the pipe to head.

Mark
It was where the pipe enters the head. I guess I didn't tighten it enough when I did the head. A few more turns and the leak stopped. Now project stalled as I am waiting for the new intake manifold gaskets to come.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak