Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding noise when i manual crank......

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the starter would make noise? when i crank the engine?

and i just went through a fiasco with my starter supposedly not working
Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Let's start with this: why are you manually cranking the engine? Does the car not start and run now?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:21 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow you get the prize.

We are midway on page two and I still have no idea what so ever what you're talking about!

Give those fingers a bit of an exercise (you are on post 226 surely you have seen the other guys explaining a problem, tell us whats going on.
Why do you crank it manually?
Is the starter not working?
Is the battery dead?
When was the last time you had the car running?
How was it running?
What did you do to it since or shortly before.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

1. balance shaft belt is broken and no it doesnt run
2.its supposed to work according to the previous owner
3.yes it sat for a weak and it drained the battery
4.last november
5.in high gear and low rpm it would vibrate so bad the glove box would fall open. and when i try to start it it would shake and vibrate like hell but after it was running it was fine. when i hit the gas my power dies out at 5500 to 6500 rpm

mechanically nothing other then trying to get a working starter and diagnose the problem

now that your questions are answered let me explain. see i put up a thread about my car breaking down last november when it happened. i explained everything and got no answers and if i did they were not useful by any means.

i bought a new timing belt and balance shaft belt and plan on checking out the clutch master and slave cylinder.

ok to explain again what happened.......driving it down the street. shifted to 5th gear. the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. i forcefully pulled it back up with my foot. started to grind in high RPM. slowed down and down shifted to 2nd gear and began to climb through the gears again to see if it would continue to grind in high rpm and it did. i stopped. when i put it in first my clutch pedal stuck again. alot of grinding occured and i attempted to put it in neutral and it wouldn't move. it stalls with alot of racket. i pull it out of first and push it to a parking spot. now towed to my house it sits waiting for me to get enough money and answers to questions so that it may get fixed.

i have help from costas and have got it cranking again but it sounds bad. so we are slowly moving through the engine trying to diagnose where this noise and grinding is originating from. can i get thoughts or educated guess's of why i would have grinding in the clutch area when i manually crank the engine
Old 03-27-2009, 07:42 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

so i guess after i explain it all and answer everyones questions the post gets abandoned? now that all the info is on the table it should be easy to diagnose or at least give a good guess? where did everyone go? the thread was moving along
Old 03-28-2009, 04:44 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

It seem to me your first problem might be your attitude but I might be wrong so for now, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

If you give the details and ask specific questions you will get helpful replies.
Its like saying my car broke down last night please tell me whats wrong and do it now!

The problem on your car can be just about anything. You don't know anything about this car or its history, the PO told you some stuff but is it true?

What you bought yourself is not a Porsche its not even a car, its a project that might one day become a Porsche again, if you are willing to through a lot of time and money into it. If it was mine I would get rid of it asap.

If you want to keep it:
If you're sure the noise come from the clutch start by removing the clutch and do a visual inspection, report on what you find and we'll take it from there.

Your balance shaft belt was broken ............. when that happens it normally brake or cause the timing belt to slip with very well known consequences. The car not running well with noise at higher revs with l think you have some bent valves in there.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2009, 09:43 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ah come on, I was at work, I just reread this

hahah I should also say that my car broke a balance shaft and timing belts last November as well (or around there)

my car was idling in the driveway and I was in the car, it slowly shut off and that was it, wouldn't start again

so my first suggestion is to double check your timing belt; mine was ripped @ the bottom and it was hard to see at first; but could definetly see the balance shaft belt was done;

now, manually cranking the engine:

my understanding is that if it turns over easily - then you should be fine; probably a good idea is to put the new belts/rollers on and do a leakdown test?

if it doesn't turn or turns over and its tough, then your vavlves are bent - take the head off and look at it - then decide whether to fix it or get a new one

atleast this is all the help I can be

the weather for us is supposed to be close to 60* so today is the first day I get to touch my car since last November; first thing to do is to try to turn t he engine over and see what happens, and I'm going to go from there

second is I have to figure out my wheel problem

good luck dude!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 AM
pwnmastap
Racer

thanks and i understand i was a lil rude and i apologize. just been stressed recently and over reacted thanks for the insight.

yea i was hoping no valves were bent and yea as soon as its not raining and 50 degrees here ill lift her up and get those belts on.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pwnmastap
thanks and i understand i was a lil rude and i apologize. just been stressed recently and over reacted thanks for the insight.
No harm done, I said to myself either this guy is going to apologize or come out fighting and proof me right. It takes character to admit you were wrong.

I really hope its nothing big but I'm afraid the odds are not good.
What did you pay for the car and what made you decide to buy it in this condition?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:20 PM
roman944
Drifting

well, if you are interested, or maybe someone else will chime in on this as well:

opened my car about half hour ago

tried to turn the engine over and it turns over easy without any noises

so next up: I'm ordering that Gates timing belt kit from Rennbay and going to put that on and see/hear how the car runs, then do a leakdown test to make sure everything is OK to go
Old 03-28-2009, 01:31 PM
pwnmastap
Racer

i was looking for a project car when i bought it. i knew there was gonna be alot of time and money invested. but i was not as informed and intelligent about what i was getting into when i bought it. i was expecting paint tires and interior work. not clutch and possibly bent valves. my parts car went the same way. belts broke and totaled the engine.

it was a stupid move on my part and i paid 2500 for white one and 500 for the parts car.

and im stuck with the car, so i need to fix it. i have a complete 944 i can use for spares as to why i was more inclined on buying it but my resources as in equipment are not in my favor so it is difficult to actually take it off without help
Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roman, are you turning your engine over without a timing belt?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
roman944
Drifting

see if you have some local Listers who could lend a hand?

there are a couple people on here - MPD47(Mike) and dmoffitt (Dave) and shiners870 (Jim) but they all have 951s

Im sure if I need help they would
Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Roman, are you turning your engine over without a timing belt?
bad idea? its in neutral and my balance shaft belt is done

doing something wrong?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. It is an interference engine. You will be bending valves.

Quick Reply: grinding noise when i manual crank......