Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Bearing? (with Auto-X Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing? (with Auto-X Video)

Hi Everybody,

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything that fits my problem. The car is an 88 924S with 225/50/15 RA1s.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56048783331630

At around 1:01 and 1:08 in the video, while turning left around a left-hand sweeper, I got an odd noise coming from what sounded like the right-rear corner. It sounded like a tire rubbing, but a thorough inspection showed no rubbing marks on the tires or the fender/suspension/brake components.

The axles/CVs are rebuilt units with only around 3000 miles on them.

The issue only surfaced while lateraly loading the car while turning left. It only made that noise on that last corner, but did so two runs in a row.

The first time the noise happened, I pulled in and looked the car over. No obviously issues, so I went back out and it happened again. That was it for me for the day.

Any ideas? Can I check for a bad wheel bearing without removing the axles? It's hard to simulate that kind of load experieced at the track...

Last edited by genikz; 03-19-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

I was just looking under the car and thought of a couple other possible causes.

The front swaybar (26.8mm) has delrin bushings for the supports. The bar looked as though it shifted in the mount slightly. I guess it could have been the bar and delrin squeaking. Like I said though, it sounded like the noise was coming from the rear.

Also, I have poly spring plate bushings. They've never squeaked before, and the car didn't load and unload suddenly so I'm not sure about that really. While jumping up and down on the rear end, I can't recreate the noise.

Man this is frustrating. I really would like to track this down so I don't have to worry about coming down the hill at 90+ mph at Streets of Willow loading the right-rear corner the whole time next month
Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

The axle (gland) nuts have been known to come loose, that would be my first check. After that, you might try rotating while listening with a stethescope. Wub wub is the more common indication though....Bruce
Old 03-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Ecos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to me. It sounded like something rotating hitting something stationary...I would have guessed a tire rubbing. When you checked if your tire rubbed did you also check in the front?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the responses.

I did look at the front in detail when I swapped tires to put my rollers on for the trip home. No rub marks there either...

I think I'll just slap the RA1's back on and i'll find a parking lot. A few slow 360's with the front turned all the way should duplicate the problem, if it's just a tire rub.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F18Rep
The axle (gland) nuts have been known to come loose, that would be my first check. After that, you might try rotating while listening with a stethescope. Wub wub is the more common indication though....Bruce

+1 Check the torque of the axle nuts, something like 350 ft lbs. I had this problem and it only made the noise under load turning in one direction.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:10 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Cool, thanks Brian, Bruce. Time to break out the pipe that fits over my breaker bar

I'll report back
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genikz
Cool, thanks Brian, Bruce. Time to break out the pipe that fits over my breaker bar

I'll report back
I broke 2 breaker bars that way, 1/2 inch drive and 1 inch drive (shattered the head of the 1 inch drive, didn't budge the axle nut BTW... Still need to take the car to the dealership to have them change my rear wheel bearings...
Old 03-21-2009, 05:10 PM
TurboPropRob
5th Gear

I am no "expert" but from your description it sounds like what I had with my car 4 years ago. When I drove straight I would get a noise from back left of car when I was above 50 mph. In a right turn the noise was still there or louder. When I put it in a left turn the weight would come off the left side and the noise would go away. only to return if I let out of the turn. I had a horribly bad wheel bearing in the leaft rear axle. This was the day I bought the car that I noticed it. ( I only test drove it around the block so didnt notice it then.... silly me). you can check it by jackin the car up and trying to rock the tire on its axle (i.e. at the 12 and 6 o'clock position). If it has a lot of play you probably have a bad bearing.

As for the torpque i had no torque wrench that could accurately torque the nut that high so i put on a breaker bar and set it to parallel with the ground. With a little math, I figured out where on the bar to put all my weight. and torqued it that way.

-Rob *butt ugly 83 944, but I will never stop driving it"
Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Okay, I feel a little stupid, but I found the culprit. At about 49 seconds into the video I nail a large green apex cone. I believe that cone got spit up off the right rear and bent a panel in towards the tire. Enough for it to rub, but on the sidewall. I lay the tires on their sides so I just assumed all the marks on the sidewalls were from laying them on the ground.

Here are the pics. A large hammer and a few beers later, she's back in action.

Thanks for the replies though. I can now safely say my axles nuts are tight...which I've never checked before.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Ecos
Advanced

Glad to see you got the problem solved.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing? (with Auto-X Video)