Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound dampening

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would say you need about 120sq ft. to do one layer (plus lots of overlapping) on everything. I put in 60sq ft. and that got me the door panels and the entire front of the car. but i put the original sound deadening back in too. I used some stuff called EDead which was very inexpensive on ebay, and came with a wooden roller which is necessary for installation.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:01 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I have no use for the heavy brown bread and asphaltic based stuff and they stink.
If you're talking about B-Quiet Brown Bread, which is NLA, it was butyl - as is the Ultimate. I've used both and neither of them outgassed.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
noise barrier as in the 1/2" thick rubbery type stuff or acoustic foam?
I prefer the composite that has a layer of foam (decoupler) and a heavy vinyl layer (barrier). I also like closed cell foam because it provides a little more dampening too. It really is heavy stuff though.

If you were to cover everything with barrier, the 10 sheet from Second Skin Audio would probably be the best deal. You will need a considerable amount of adhesive too, but I really don't know how much. You car would be incredibly heavy though.

My goal was to keep some of the interior noise down so I could have normal conversation driving down the highway, but not weigh the car down too much. I did not put any additional sound deadener inside the doors (factory deadener is still in place), all the factory deadener/jute has been removed from the floors and tunnel. New deadener went on about 1/2 of the firewall (and is covered with the factory isolator), the entire tunnel and about 3/4 of the passenger compartment floor. I will put some additional deadener behind and around the rear speakers and maybe a little under the rear seats. I haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do in the hatch area or the roof. For the roof, I may just use foam-backed felt for the headliner (like what you'd find on a domestic vehicle). I never expected this car to be exceptionally quiet - I just don't want it to buzz and rattle.

Between the new materials and removal of the factory stuff, along with a new lightweight carpet, I'm confident that I actually saved a few pounds off the car. Probably nothing of significance, but some.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
yummybud, did you do the floor pans and rear deck as well? im curious as to how much sound deadener ill need...i want to cover EVERYTHING...floor pans, rear seat buckets, rear deck, rear wheel wells, rear cubbies/tire bin (maybe?), lots on the tunnel, inner door skins, door interior skin...

no I did not cover the entire floor or the entire rear hatch. I think that's unnecessary. This is not a cadillac or mercedes so I'm not overly worried about noise.

areas I'd cover is above the torque tube area which I put two layers and over the rear seat area because the transmission noise.

rear wheel area also I'd cover.

now that I think about it I think I used 60 to 80 square feet.

my interior is pretty quiet I think. I just hear engine noise.

Again I wasn't trying to make my car like a lexus so I didn't bother trying to cover the entire interior with sound deadner.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 AM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

If you do a search on "sound deadening" you'll find some additional links.

Phil

Quick Reply: sound dampening