Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you want me to kill baby seals? If not please help me replace my hood struts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freezer trick conformed to work! however I guess I'm still to weak to keep my weltmeister struts compressed/
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
mbonner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now there is a brilliant suggestion! I just got hit on the nose by my RX7 convertible trunk lid falling down as no pressure much in the shocks due to low ambient temperature, -5 Oc. I seem to remember years ago making a jig out out a coathanger to keep one closed while I tried to fit it.
Mike
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Mr Porsche **** YOU, nice design.
+1, Today I removed, with my car on jack stands (front only), in the rain, with my neighbor asking me about BMWs, the heat shield around the starter on my Turbo...

What would posses them to stick a heat shield around the starter, and fasten said heat shield using one of the bolts in the torque tube?

But I did manage to get the water pump swapped, and re-filled with antifreeze before calling it a night.... It's supposed to freeze tonight....
Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are full of points where we all think there could have been a better design. Here is a little blurp from my hero UDPride on seat bolts

Originally Posted by UDPride
SEAT BOLTS!

I think everyone has seen that YouTube Hitler spoof where they lose his car and he goes into a screaming rage. I forgot most of the German I ever learned but thats exactly how I looked and sounded when I had to drill my bolts out. Spit and foam was flying from my mouth. Neighbors were coming out of their houses and peering into my friends garage as I took the DeWalt to them while breaking every knuckle in both hands drilling those ***** out with the DeWalt. Took me almost five hours to drill all four out with a drill bit made from cryptonite. Id do 20-30 minutes, get up walk out of the garage and screeam and tear branches off the trees, go back in and work another 20-30 minutes, throw old tire irons and hubcaps into the driveway like frisbees in disgust.

It was like a cartharsis! I can still remember myself saying at least A HUNDRED TIMES during all of this, "YOU GOTTA BE ****TING ME. THESE WORLD CLASS ENGINEERS HAD A BIG MEETING ON ATTACHING SEATS TO SEAT RAILS AND SOME SCHMUCK NAMED KLAUS OFFERED THESE BOLTS AS A SOLUTION AND EVERYBODY IN THE ROOM THOUGHT IT WAS A DESIGN THAT COULDNT BE TOPPED. AGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! <go outside, scream, tear tree limbs off, somersaults in the yard, come back in, rinse and repeat>

I have my new seat bolts on so loose now I could unscrew them with the breeze of a passing fart. This is why I think DIY is overrated.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rock
These cars are full of points where we all think there could have been a better design. Here is a little blurp from my hero UDPride on seat bolts
I still like the DIY part, but you should have heard me when the tent dumped rain water on my legs that were sticking out from under the car.....
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

I gave up and threw the struts in the trunk. I drop the car off tomorrow for the balance shaft belts and a motor mount. The mechanic will get his 100 dollars to put them on, **** it.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am laughing so hard, its difficult to type LMFAO!!

Not AT you of course, but because everyone has been there. Its funny to think how upset some stupid little pin or bolt can make you.

I've thrown **** out in the weeds I was so pissed, only to find myself searching for it with a flashlight and magnet about 15min later, because the wrench I threw was the wrench I needed....... good times.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I propped the hood up just to the point of it not hitting the glass.
I mounted the bottom part of the strut, grabbed it with both hands.
Pulled down on it - well, held myself up with it - picked up my feet basically.
That got it far enough down where I could line the thing up.

Wasn't on a cab. Also won't help if you threw the clips in the yard... lol.

Hopefully your mechanic can do it.

Only thing I threw in the yard was a new tie rod end. Damn thing was so stiff I couldn't get the pin to line up with the spindle. Old one went back on

Quick Reply: Do you want me to kill baby seals? If not please help me replace my hood struts.