Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was running fine then died...now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was running fine then died...now won't start

1989 944S2 that has been running great. In fact, just this week I was thinking that it had been a long time since it was out of commission. Dumb thought.

In the last two weeks I've had some hard starts. Had to crank it over for 10 seconds or so instead of the usual 3 seconds and start right up. Most of the time it has been starting properly. Last night it started hard and as we came to the stop sign at the end of the street it just died. No noises or anything it just stopped running.

Now no amount of cranking it over will get it to start. I've been thinking that I may need to replace the starter but the fact that it just died while running has me thinking that there's either another problem altogether or it isn't the starter.

Thoughts and help are much appreciated.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If there was a cranking issue followed by a no start...I'm guessing reference sensors?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wipeout
If there was a cranking issue followed by a no start...I'm guessing reference sensors?
Or DME (Fuel Pump) relay...
1) Do you have fuel pressure? If no replace DME relay (there is a jumper checkout procedure on here somewhere...use search) and enjoy...if yes proceed
2) Do your gauges bounce during the engine cranking? If no, check reference sensors...If yes proceed
3) Do you have spark? If no check coil, cap, wires, plugs...suspect coil, but could be any of the others...if yes proceed
4) How dirty is your air filter? change it if you dont know, it has been more than 6000 miles since change, or it has been more than 1yr since change...

Just my 2C, and I could be wrong in my troubleshooting procedures.... But try the above IN ORDER
Old 03-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to get out there and work on it but I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Miguel924
7th Gear

Maybe the DME relay is faulty as JohnKoaWood said. There is a jumper procedure that consists in bridge pin30 with both 87 and 87b with the key out. Once this bridge is done, the fuel pump should start working. Then you can insert the key and try to start the car. If it starts, the DME relay was faulty.

Anyway, check this procedure as it's a 911 DME relay procedure. I suposse it's the same in a 944 model. CHECK IT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

Quick Reply: Was running fine then died...now won't start