Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what's the most economical brake upgrade for an NA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:31 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
My 15" phonies clear my turbo brakes ona 1985.5 just fine.

For what your going to spend on parts to do the swap the kit from Rennbay is probably cheaper, maybe equal. Heres what i spent on my swap (off the top of my head)

4 Calipers- $350
spindles and hubs- $250
New bearings, SS brake lines, pads- $200
I didnt have to pay for it, but you will need an alignment, we Charge $165, not sure what an indie charges for an alignment, Ill use $80
You can modify late struts, many have done it, some agree some disagree, that could be another $200- $400 (guesstimate) if you replaced them.

So you have $705 for the front for the turbo setup. And i shopped around for the parts for a while, just trying to point out if your going to do it right, it wont save over Rennbay's kit.

Mark
Nice to know. Thank you for clarifying. Also, FWIW, I agree with your final analysis. I even have the proper hubs and spindles put away and think the Rennbay kit is still a better deal given all that you said. Mostly, I feel NA brakes are more than adequate. So, keeping it as is is the most economical way to go.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
Rennbay kit is pretty awesome, but at $700 I can't justify spending the cash on it (that's virtually what I paid for the car).
Really? I paid 700 for pads and rotors on mine.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Default Depends.

If you're looking for better stopping, first try better pads. It's pretty hard to really improve stopping by just going bigger. If cooling is an issue, you can upgrade ducting (e.g. 968 scoops).

But if you want to look ballar, just do what Dimi did.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
If you're looking for better stopping, first try better pads. It's pretty hard to really improve stopping by just going bigger. If cooling is an issue, you can upgrade ducting (e.g. 968 scoops).

You just want to have my brake set up....admit it
Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944obscene
Really? I paid 700 for pads and rotors on mine.
Originally Posted by harrisonrick
And they just bolt on...plus they are brand new. And Wilwood brakes are very good quality...and since your car is an NA...more than enough braking too.
Naw I've seen the turbo parts for as low as $100+ ship w/o spindles. I can do the whole car front & back for under 500 bucks with ease.
No sense spending close to grand for front brake on a car that cost close to grand
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Naw I've seen the turbo parts for as low as $100+ ship w/o spindles. I can do the whole car front & back for under 500 bucks with ease.
No sense spending close to grand for front brake on a car that cost close to grand
Indeed! But as others mentioned even if you track the car you can leave the brakes stock. I upgraded mine because I found a good deal and I found a deal on front COs for the '86 951 spindles. Also, I will be upgrading to a more powerful engine in the next couple of years...but my car will be a dedicated track vehicle.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you clarify as "Turbo Parts"? I pieced my setup together over 6 months, and am cheap so all the prices i posted were cheaper than what i had seen as the norm. I normally see turbo calipers in good condtion, not needing rebuild go for $200 a pair, I got mine for $175 for the front and $150 for the rear. I got my hubs and spindles again for what i thought was a great price, $200 shipped, but didnt inspect them for a few months and found out I was shipped 2 left spindles, so I dropped another $65 on a Right spindle. I forgot in my inital post about rotors, I got good used rotors for the time being for $50 that somone replaced for cross drilled. Then you have pads $60 I think I spent on the front axle. Bearings, $50??? I think. SS brake lines, $80? I am not saying it cant be done for less than $500, but where are you cutting? Used rotors??? Pads??? Bearings??? Brake Lines??? You must have a different plan of attack than i do, I do things once, and replace any "Wear" items i can while i am in there, A brake system is not a good place to skip those kind of items.

Mark
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

What do you clarify as "Turbo Parts"? I pieced my setup together over 6 months, and am cheap so all the prices i posted were cheaper than what i had seen as the norm. I normally see turbo calipers in good condtion, not needing rebuild go for $200 a pair, I got mine for $175 for the front and $150 for the rear. I got my hubs and spindles again for what i thought was a great price, $200 shipped, but didnt inspect them for a few months and found out I was shipped 2 left spindles, so I dropped another $65 on a Right spindle. I forgot in my inital post about rotors, I got good used rotors for the time being for $50 that somone replaced for cross drilled. Then you have pads $60 I think I spent on the front axle. Bearings, $50??? I think. SS brake lines, $80? I am not saying it cant be done for less than $500, but where are you cutting? Used rotors??? Pads??? Bearings??? Brake Lines??? You must have a different plan of attack than i do, I do things once, and replace any "Wear" items i can while i am in there, A brake system is not a good place to skip those kind of items.

Mark
I agree. My set up as I mentioned above was $475, extra $10 for the new caliper bolts and washers, and $70 for the SS lines.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
You just want to have my brake set up....admit it
I do have some extra cash from selling the seats!

There are 944s on stock brakes that run long enduro races. It's mostly about the pads.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

I agree....it is about the pads and you could do some extra cooling like you did!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark
The best deal I've seen was 100 shipped for calipers with decent pads, rotors, hubs and lines. I should be able to score spindles for another 100 bucks shipped or so. I would ball park it at $300 for the front set and I'm not planning on using turbo struts. Maybe 50 more if the rotors need turning.

Then again though, I don't buy stuff unless I can get a fantastic deal on it. My latest find was 16" BBS RS rims with good tires for 175
Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 PM
944-LT1
Racer

If you dont mind using non-porsche brakes, look into the 01-06 Lexus LS430 4 pot monobloc calipers [42mm pistons]. These calipers are all alloy and cost 140 a pair after core [Oreillys autoparts]. Adapter blocks can be cheaply made or you may decide to start with big red adapters and try to modify them to work with the lexus brakes as they seem very close to what is needed. Along with an easily machined centering ring [for centering the rotor to the hub...if needed depending on which rotor you choose] and 318mm diameter Boxster S rotors [for late 944] you could have a big brake kit for cheap. For early 944's you would have to find a rotor that would fit or possibly 86T rotors [???] or have the adapter block machined accordingly. These are radial mounted calipers that will allow for the caliper body to be dropped or raised.

Specs on the Lexus LS430 calipers:
1) Total weight 8.2 pounds... w/o pads
2) Radial mount bolts 14mm Dia.
3) Radial mount bolt center to center 130mm = 5.118"
4) Radial mount holes 67mm depth with 7mm deep locating dowel
5) Radial mount bolt center to inner rotor face= 35mm
6) Radial mount bolt center to outter rotor face= 70mm........
7) Radial mount bolt center to outter CALIPER face= 125mm
8) 4x42mm pistons
9) Center to center of pistons= 55mm
10) 35mm between rotor opening (32mm rotors are easily fitted)
11) From end to end of the caliper is 268mm= 10.55"
All mic'd to the nearest +- .01 mm

Better than stock pads = EBC Redstuff, PN# DP31622C. The Greenstuff PN# DP21622

I dont have any adapters and dont know where to buy them. Youd have to measure everything out yourself and have them machined or make them youself. They should look like this...
Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost forgot about those LT.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg

Yup! 944 NA's already have way more brake than they need. Doing an "upgrade" to the rotors is nothing but show and will only serve to hurt performance because they'll just lock up on you faster and reduce your control. Save your money and just get decent pads... Axxis/PBR Ultimates are a good performance street pad, and on stock 944 NA rotors, they hold up pretty damn good on the race track too. We already have bigger rotors than most of the sport compacts that have more HP.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
My stock 15" phonedials on my '85.5 NA clear the turbo brakes.

Good to know, as I am tired of the rough ride from the 17's. May try these for a while on the early turbo.

Thanks

Quick Reply: So what's the most economical brake upgrade for an NA?