Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Real car problem...bad bucking

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it sounds like a MAD vacc. leak
Old 05-24-2002, 08:52 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I just changed the fuel filter.

I thought the hose clamp going onto the turbo was missing, but after I got it all apart I saw it was there. All the clamps are tight, no obvious tears in the hoses.

Before I started messing with the fuel filter, I started it up and it idle very rough at 950rpm sometimes, othertimes smooth at 1000rpm. I could bring the revs up smoothly to 1500rpm, but if I tried to bring em up quickly it stumbled.

When I did the fuel filter, I clamped the line going IN to the fuel filter expecting that the weight of the fuel in the tank would push it down and out...I forgot about the pump. So when I removed the IN line to the filter, fuel dribbled out...no spraying. Same for the other side. The car had sat for an hour or so since it was started and idled...prior to that it sat for 15 hours. Shouldn't it be pressurized?

thanks,
Adrial, off to test the TPS with a voltmeter.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:56 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can easily test to see if it's a TPS problem by simply unplugging it. You can still drive the car with the TPS unplugged, the idle will fluctuate a lot (1000-1400) but if the bucking goes away then the TPS is your problem. Mine failed 100 miles from home, so I just unplugged it and drove it home.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Later,
Rob
Old 05-25-2002, 02:08 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

OK, I replaced the fuel filter as I said before...the directions for testing the TPS that I found were wrong I think. They said pin 12 was ground...there is no pin 12. They are numbered 1-6.

I found the directions for testing the TPS in the factory manuals...good stuff but a bit too involved right now.

Anyway, the fuel filter fixed the problem. Yes!

However, when I looked for missing hose clamps..I looked around and I thought I saw that the big hose going into the turbo was missing its clamp...So i took off the intercooler pipe and the CBV. However...when I went to put it all back together, when I put the little rubber adapter on the intake manif. side of the intercooler pipe onto the throttle body...it got snagged on the bottom...but I didn't know this. so I put the clamp on. So one spot of the rubber adapter thing was bent and rolled over...so it didn't fit right anymore. I fugged around with that a little, got it to stay..but when the car boosted it started leaking again.

The car doesn't idle now, but I know why so its ok I have vice grips on it trying to straighten out that rubber adapter.

Also, someone told me this "Back out the Throttle Stop until the throttle plate is fully closed. Next, turn the throttle stop in until it just touches the throttle stop, and then turn the screw an additional 1/2 turn. Tighten the lock nut."

The guy said to do that with the throttle body out...does it really matter? I adjusted it the way he described with the throttle body on the car, but if I did that I would've had to readjust the TPS. I didn't wanna get into all that because I have a new TPS coming anyway...but when the new one comes I need to know if the throttle body really needs to be off or not??

Hmm thats all I can think of right now...thanks for all the suggestions guys...

Adrial

P.S. rennlist web board rocks...none of the other places (which will remain un-named) gave me anywhere near this much help.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:15 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by Michael Adkins:
<strong>That's exactly what my car is doing. A new TPS didn't fix it </strong><hr></blockquote>

Is it bucking really bad?
Either way, I vote fuel filter for obvious reasons!
Old 05-25-2002, 02:16 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>
Anyway, the fuel filter fixed the problem. Yes!
</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's good news. I have had a new fuel filter sitting on a shelf for a month and haven't put it on yet. Maybe that will fix my problem too.
Old 05-25-2002, 01:01 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The throttle body doesn't have to be off to adjust the stop. Maybe adjust when the motor is cooled off.....but it shouldn't make a difference.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:05 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Michael Adkins, only tip I can give you for doing the fuel filter is to put a plastic bag over the CV's so that they don't die early because of getting soaked in gas.

I put an oil catch pan under that area to catch all the gas that dripped. It wasn't much.

Mine was last done 7 years ago and it wasn't too hard to get off...

Tom L, thanks...thats what I thought. I'll do that again when I replace the TPS with the new one I should be getting in a little over a week.

And finally...it turns out that the hose going into the throttle body wasn't the one that was leaking! There's 2 hoses coming off that intercooler pipe, one goes to the BOV and is plainly visible, the other one I'm not sure where it goes but it's hidden by the snorkel for the airbox. I pulled off the snorkel and walla, that hose was completely blown off.

I haven't taken her for a drive yet, but I'm pretty confident all will be well.

thanks again!
Old 05-25-2002, 04:08 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Fuel filters should at least be replaced as often as the belts, no?
Old 05-25-2002, 04:38 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>

Is it bucking really bad?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

It varies. Somedays it will not do it at all and others it will do it 3 or 4 times on the way to work. I think I will get around to changing it tommorow, My in-laws are in town so we have been draging them all over Germany, A serious lack of personal time!

Quick Reply: First Real car problem...bad bucking