Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Rattling" Exhaust? and "Crunchy" Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002 | 12:40 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Post "Rattling" Exhaust? and "Crunchy" Shifting

Okay, I've been living with this for a couple of weeks since I had my clutch replaced and it's bugging me.

I think my wrench was hurrying and left something slightly loose. There is a distinct rattling noise at idle that clears out us off idle. I haven't bothered to look because it's dark every night when I get home and the car is too hot to start touching the exhaust system. I'm hoping to fix this over the long weekend. Anyone experienced this on an NA? Advice please?

Second, also since the clutch job I don't think the shifting is quite correct. There is no way to describe it except "crunchy". Not too objectionable just not smooth -"snick-snick" like it was before. I asked the wrench, he looked it over but said there is little to adjust, nothing he could find. Advice on this? It is the stock shifter. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-23-2002 | 01:58 PM
Ferd
AutoX

One way to find exhaust system vibrations is to try tapping the exhaust in various places with a rubber mallet. If the pipes are too close to something (like the heat shielding), the vibration from the hammer hits will isolate them.

Ferd
'86 NA
Old 05-23-2002 | 02:25 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

It's possible your clutch isn't disengaging fully when you press the pedal. Your wrench may need to bleed the clutch system again, if there are air bubbles in there it could do that.

Thaddeus
Old 05-23-2002 | 02:33 PM
sm
Drifting

On the 951, do you have to remove the starter to bleed the clutch?

When bleeding brakes and clutches, should the car be off? I'm thinking yes, but just making sure.

TIA,
sm
Old 05-23-2002 | 03:17 PM
blackandtan944
Track Day

I have the same sort of exhaust rattling on my 944 NA and I had the same thing on an Acura Integra I had. On the Integra it turned out to be loose crap in the catalytic converter making noise when the car was cold. Once it warmed up, no more noise. I replaced the exhaust and it still made the noise. Replaced the cat and it was gone.

Everything on my 944 is securly fastened so I believe its probably a similar problem although sometimes the rattle sounds like its coming more from the muffler area rather than the cat.
Old 05-23-2002 | 06:02 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Since they did totally remove the exhaust system when the clutch was done they "could have" dropped the cat causing crap to break loose and rattle. Dammit! I was hoping it would just be a commonly known (by you guys!) heat shield or interference and five minutes with a socket would clear it up. What does a $%@#$ replacement cat cost?!!

Never thought of the idea of air in the clutch hydraulic system. It feels more mechancial to me, but that could still be true with the bleed problem. I'll look into it. Thanks agian.
Old 05-23-2002 | 08:06 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Check the heat shield attached to the starter with a rubber mallet. It can stress crack and rattle, even if it's tight. You can weld up the cracks, but I found they eventually will fail again, so I fabricated my own starter heat shield.

The rubber mallet is the best way to isolate a rattle. Hit everything under the car.

Cheers,
Old 05-23-2002 | 08:34 PM
THE Mike D.
Instructor

Talking

And if you get really frustrated just hit anything with the rubber mallet!!

Bang Bang Maxwells Silver hammer fell upon her head......

Mike D.
85.5 944NA LM6Y
Old 05-26-2002 | 01:30 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, look at it this way.

I changed my clutch and now have a rattle that I can't find and my wheel bearing is going out. Not sure yet how the two are related... still digging for answers!!!
Old 05-26-2002 | 12:47 PM
ram_one
Racer

Make sure all of the rubber donut hangars are in place on the exhaust. I had a rattling exhaust when I first got my car. Turned out there was one of these things missing.
Since the exhaust had to be dropped, there may be one that was missed.

Quick Reply: "Rattling" Exhaust? and "Crunchy" Shifting