Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut top nut cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003 | 12:22 PM
Jaap968
Advanced

Post Strut top nut cover

I just completed the conversion to koni yellows and noticed I can no longer use the plastic cap to cover the top of the strut to keep out dirt and moisture. The adjustment mechanism sticks out too far. Is there a different cover I should buy or just leave it open?

It is a good thing all the 'how to' information is available on this site and at paragon because if you follow koni's instructions which suggest cutting the old strut at 50mm from the top you will only have a fraction if any at all to install the insert into the strut.

Jaap
Old 06-16-2003 | 12:36 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

You COULD, drill a hold in the old cover to prevent most of the dirt to get inside. The only thing you're protecting is that bearing I believe...which I just gooped with Swepco grease.

Gotta love the Koni yellows! Great shocks.
Old 06-16-2003 | 05:59 PM
Jaap968
Advanced

Thanks Robert,

Good idea using the old cap. I don't want to leave it open because I heard the bearing is very expensive to replace so I don't want to take any risk. Some additional grease might help as well.

Jaap
Old 06-16-2003 | 07:04 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Grease would create a pretty good barrier, messy though - honestly, there's more dirt getting to the bearing from the underside than from the top. Most folks just leave them off.

Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2003 | 12:41 PM
Jaap968
Advanced

Thanks Skip,

Did you ever give/get feedback to/from koni about their instructions on how to install. I think that if you follow their instructions (cutting at 5 cm from top) you will end up with a strut at least 10mm but propably closer to 15mm shorter leaving very little strut to work with. However cutting at your suggested 329 I had to use a longer bolt then supplied by koni to pull the insert in the first few mm and then change to the original bolt.

Jaap
Old 06-17-2003 | 12:56 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought my M030 covers from Paragon Products. I think that they look nice when installed.
Old 06-17-2003 | 02:11 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Hmm. I followed the Paragon directions...the struts came out at the correct length. Basically cut off right where the cap-assembly ended inside the strut. I should have measured how far from that silver cap I cut from, because it came out working great for me!

I made a stencil, like paragon has done using cardboard. It somehow ended up in the bucket with the shock-oil. Shame, it took me some time to get it right too .
Old 06-17-2003 | 05:48 PM
Jaap968
Advanced

Michael, what do you mean by m030 covers? Is that to cover the top of the strut?

Robert,

Fortunately I also followed the Paragon directions and made a stencil so I think I did everything right. The only difference I see is there was a different bolt with my set than the ones shown in the direction. Mine came with a rounded head and need a hex key to tighten. But it was no problem using a longer bolt to get the first few mm in and then use the supplied bolt. At least I had enough strut to securely install the inserts and they work great.

Jaap
Old 06-17-2003 | 06:05 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Weird. I had the large bolts.
Old 06-18-2003 | 04:18 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Large bolts have been discontinued since about March of this year. The new rounded Allen bolt is ~7mm shorter - this requires that you cut the strut tube a little shorter. My recommendation is 325mm (vice the original 329mm, and the current 50mm from top - you do not want to do that!)

The problem with printed copies of online instructions is that they do not benefit from changes made through experience and customer feedback. I would ask all new installations of the Koni 8641-1414S struts follow the instructions we provide on the Tech-Session site.

<a href="http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=69&c=" target="_blank">http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=69&c=</a>

Basically, mark center, drill relief hole, cut to 325mm, drill to at least 1/2", slam the insert down, thread the bolt, torque to 55 ftlbs.

Jaap, sorry - forgot about the M030 covers... they are/were designed for use with the top-adjust Konis and are a suitable replacement for those who wish to retain them.

Good Luck!
Old 06-18-2003 | 06:26 AM
Jaap968
Advanced

Thanks again Skip,

The paragon site has been very helpfull in performing the conversion. Just one remark: if you follow the link provided on your product page for koni's you will find installation directions that still reference the 329mm, the ones I used.

(I feel a bit guilty though for asking all these questions because I didn't even buy the inserts from paragon but from a local koni supplier here in the netherlands)

I assume that although the new 325 mm guideline makes it easier to install the inserts using the new shorter bolt, there is no negatieve side effect from the way I did it (first using a slightly longer bolt)?

Jaap
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:17 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I would like to leave a tip...USE A VISE. I did the job without, but had a very sore wrist after the drill bit caught metal drilling the 14mm hole in the bottom. Basically spun my arm around before I could even let go. That was really the only painful part of the job, other then trying to get those old top-nuts off. Haha.

'All I want for christmas is an impact set.'

Quick Reply: Strut top nut cover