Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S2 Cab Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 944 S2 Cab Thread

I'm trying to get a S2 Cab thread going in the 944 & 944S2 forum. Take a look
Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Isn't that supposed to be the 944S / 944S2 forum?

Never made sense to have a 944 / 944S2 forum on top of this one....
Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why it gets so little traffic, I guess.

My thoughts...

We need three 944 forums:

1st class -- For owners with cars in excellent mechanical and presentation condition. No major cosmetic issues, outstanding mechanical repairs or tacky mods.

2nd class -- Cars in an overall reputable state of repair, but not necessarilly in first class condition.

Steerage: Cars that leak oil like the Exxon-Valdez, make unsettling and largely uninvestigated non-factory approved noises, generally bring the marque into disrepute when seen by the general public, and generally unsafe at any speed (cars and drivers). The price of a new set of windscreen wiper blades is worthy of of three page thread in this specialty forum.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Originally Posted by wcfrog
I'm trying to get a S2 Cab thread going in the 944 & 944S2 forum. Take a look
It is in that forum. Wanted to post a thread here to try and re-direct cabriolet owners to it.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

Bump
Old 03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there should be one 924/944/968 forum. Last night I just found a thread about me in the 951 forum. It was posted FIVE years ago! I just stumbled across it during a search. I never went in the 951 forum even when I had a 951 for six years.
You're excluding a large knowledge base for your own issues, and probably not sharing your knowledge with someone who needs it by hanging out in a 951 or Cabriolet forum.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
That's why it gets so little traffic, I guess.

My thoughts...

We need three 944 forums:

1st class -- For owners with cars in excellent mechanical and presentation condition. No major cosmetic issues, outstanding mechanical repairs or tacky mods.

2nd class -- Cars in an overall reputable state of repair, but not necessarilly in first class condition.

Steerage: Cars that leak oil like the Exxon-Valdez, make unsettling and largely uninvestigated non-factory approved noises, generally bring the marque into disrepute when seen by the general public, and generally unsafe at any speed (cars and drivers). The price of a new set of windscreen wiper blades is worthy of of three page thread in this specialty forum.
I disagree respectfully. I think it's good to group all types of one car together - then the people with nice cars can help the ones with not-nice cars. And the people doing repairs can contribute technical knowledge to those who have never turned a wrench.

IMHO the 944/944S2 forum is redundant but I like the other forums the way they are... Remember, the more we separate models, the less cool cars and people we get to chat with in each forum!
Old 03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I disagree respectfully. I think it's good to group all types of one car together - then the people with nice cars can help the ones with not-nice cars. And the people doing repairs can contribute technical knowledge to those who have never turned a wrench.
I think he was joking.

But there's two variables here: adeptitude at wrench-turning, and access to funds. Either one can substitute for the other, but only to a degree.

I, for example, have a plentitude of the latter, and very little of the former(though I suspect it's mostly lack of confidence, since I can fix most anything else besides a car without so much as a manual).

And I benefited greatly from being introduced to Spencer (V2_Rocket), who has the first, but not the second.

This kind of ad-hoc local communism keeps all our cars running. Hopefully.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm there!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I could understand the seperation of 8 valve and 16 valve as the cars have many mechanical ,electrical and bodywork differences but the the S2 and S2 cab ? what is the difference between these cars that would warrant a seperate board ?
I think too many boards simply dilute too much. Lets face it who posts in the UK section or the 944-S2 section.

I think the strength of this section is down to all 944's being lumped together and the diversity and high number of posts here
Old 03-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peanut
I could understand the seperation of 8 valve and 16 valve as the cars have many mechanical ,electrical and bodywork differences but the the S2 and S2 cab ? what is the difference between these cars that would warrant a seperate board ?
Actually, there are many differences. Most relate to the fact that the cab chassis is built differently, and things like suspension cannot be modified as easily as with a coupe, or you may end up with terrible ride quality, not to mention excessive scuttle shake and body flexing.

While coupes have their mechanical differences, their chassis make up is essentially the same. This is not the case for cabs and it would help to have a board for fellow owners to share structural issues, repairs, etc. for these cars, that never come up in a coupe-oriented forum.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand you. I have a cab, and I'd like to have as much of a support group for cabs as possible, but I still think one larger forum is better. I had a 951 for six years, but not anymore, but I still have alot of 951 knowledge.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Well, it's one thing to have a bazillion forums and quite another to not have any cab-specific forums at all.

I agree that the 944/944S2 forum is quite useless, but the problem with having everyone resort to the 924/931/944/951/968 forum is that cab-specific threads tend to get lost in the shuffle, since threads seldom last long enough on the first few pages for other cab owners to spot them.

I've had some luck getting cab-specific advice in the 968 forum, but it's always down to a handful of owners, whereas if it were specifically for 944/968 cab owners, I'm sure there'd be a lot more of us and the threads would be easier to locate and follow.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:18 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Actually, there are many differences. Most relate to the fact that the cab chassis is built differently, and things like suspension cannot be modified as easily as with a coupe, or you may end up with terrible ride quality, not to mention excessive scuttle shake and body flexing.

While coupes have their mechanical differences, their chassis make up is essentially the same. This is not the case for cabs and it would help to have a board for fellow owners to share structural issues, repairs, etc. for these cars, that never come up in a coupe-oriented forum.
well I stand corrected on the differences although I would have said that the similarities far outweigh the differences but there ya go.
What i wouldn't agree with though is having a seperate board for Cab's would generate more help with cab specific problems.
Firstly there simply isn't sufficient cab owner members posting here and secondly if there isn't sufficient specfic help now in this section with the hundreds of posters we have how in heck are you going to get more help on your own with the other 20 or so cab owner/members
Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by peanut
well I stand corrected on the differences although I would have said that the similarities far outweigh the differences but there ya go.
What i wouldn't agree with though is having a seperate board for Cab's would generate more help with cab specific problems.
Firstly there simply isn't sufficient cab owner members posting here and secondly if there isn't sufficient specfic help now in this section with the hundreds of posters we have how in heck are you going to get more help on your own with the other 20 or so cab owner/members
There are a lot of 968 cab owners active in the 968 specific forum, and since there's a lot more in common than not between the cars you should visit us over there.

Quick Reply: 944 S2 Cab Thread