Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Bar/ Cage Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
+1

Don't use harnesses without a roll bar. And don't attach harnesses to a harness guide bar.

I couldn't believe my eyes in a recent GRM issue with the article about "Gutty" the $2000 turbo'd CRX that clearly showed they had used a harness guide bar (actually a rear strut tower brace) as a harness anchor point!

_
I realize it's been said over and over, and nobody has any stats or science to back it up, but, I have no doubt that (1) a roll cage and harnesses is safer than a roll bar and harnesses, (2) a roll bar and harness is safer than no roll bar and harness, and (3) no roll bar and harness is safer than no roll bar and 3 point belts.

Could a roll-over with a harness and no roll bar/cage possibly be riskier with a multipoint harness than it would with a 3 point belt? Maybe, if the roof collapses and the 3 point setup would let you crumple better than the multipoint. But how can you ignore all of the other circumstances where the multipoint harness would clearly improve your odds? What if the roof does not collapse in a rollover? I'd rather have a harness holding me than one loose shoulder belt. And any impact (front, rear, side), or any active roll is going to challenge the 3 point constraint and possibly overwhelm it. The 3 point belt is a compromise between safety and convenience.

Not to mention that a harness will keep your hands free and body in position to maintain control of the car.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I realize it's been said over and over, and nobody has any stats or science to back it up, but, I have no doubt that (1) a roll cage and harnesses is safer than a roll bar and harnesses, (2) a roll bar and harness is safer than no roll bar and harness, and (3) no roll bar and harness is safer than no roll bar and 3 point belts.

Could a roll-over with a harness and no roll bar/cage possibly be riskier with a multipoint harness than it would with a 3 point belt? Maybe, if the roof collapses and the 3 point setup would let you crumple better than the multipoint. But how can you ignore all of the other circumstances where the multipoint harness would clearly improve your odds? What if the roof does not collapse in a rollover? I'd rather have a harness holding me than one loose shoulder belt. And any impact (front, rear, side), or any active roll is going to challenge the 3 point constraint and possibly overwhelm it. The 3 point belt is a compromise between safety and convenience.

Not to mention that a harness will keep your hands free and body in position to maintain control of the car.

My head would rather get banged up (3pt belts and no roll bar) than crushed (harness and no roll bar). I'm sure it's a personal preference.

Seriously, I can see your point that there are circumstances where you're better off with harnesses, regardless of whether you have a roll bar. However, I think the worst case scenario is less bad when you use 3 pt belts without a roll bar vs. 5/6 pt. harness with no roll bar.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 AM
mextremem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a wieltmiester harness bar for sale. $70

Quick Reply: Harness Bar/ Cage Options