Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Boost Kit - Couple Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing a Boost Kit - Couple Questions...

I'm scoping out the install of a new Lindsey Boost Kit:

http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...CKAGEDEALSIHPP

The new Bosch FPS has what looks like a hose receptacle on the top that the stock one doesn't. Any idea what I'm supposed to connect to that? Or is not a receptacle for anything and is supposed to remain unconnected? Also, the vacuum hose on the far end seems about half the size as the stock one. Is this by design? Do I need to buy a new hose kit with this to refit??

Any suggestions on how I mount the boost enhancer on my rail? I've studied the picture here:

...but I can't see any detail on what's securing it and the directions that ship with the boost line don't make any suggestions either. Certainly it just doesn't lay there?

Finally, how do you guys recommend getting vacuum lines off without totally destroying them?
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2009, 08:54 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

You have an aftermarket FPR installed. The black one needs to be rotated 180*. You will see where the port with the o-ring goes once you pull off the installed FPR
Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

ah, thanks - i can actually see it now in the picture - wasn't able to see it when i was looking under the hood for some reason.

Any suggestions on how to mount that boost line to the rail??
Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just left mine hanging there, no problems so far. Did you get the package deal with the chips too? I was going to run new vacuum lines but someone had already changed them.

Also do you have a boost guage yet? If so get one now.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:16 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

yah, i got the package deal with the chips. That will be the last thing I do. I have a Fuel Pressure gauge on my rail, if that's what you are referring to.

Also, can anyone tell me where the wastegate shims go??

This isn't my car (it's from Lindsey's site) - but do the shims go behind where the red arrow is?

What is the effect - postive or negative - of not shimming the wastegate once this mod is installed?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:34 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by choinga
yah, i got the package deal with the chips. That will be the last thing I do. I have a Fuel Pressure gauge on my rail, if that's what you are referring to.

Also, can anyone tell me where the wastegate shims go??

This isn't my car (it's from Lindsey's site) - but do the shims go behind where the red arrow is?

What is the effect - postive or negative - of not shimming the wastegate once this mod is installed?
The shims go in between the WG body and the manifold at the top (the part with the vacuum tube connected to it), The directions on LR site tell you to completely remove the WG, the hardware shone in red and green are the moutning hardware you need to remove to pull out the WG.

The effect of the shims is to prevent the waste gate from opening as early, or as far as stock (less opening distance traveled when it opens).

Keep us all up to date with your thoughts... Le tme know what you think of the chip set...

I am actualy thinking of going a different route, once the car is sorted, I am looking to do a boost controller, DP Wastegeate, and chip set...
Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

I'm considering just completely replacing the wastegate. I have the stock one in there but since I'm gutting and shimming might as well just put a new one in there. I don't need a dual port and think I'd like to go with a Tial. However, I have no clue which model they have that just simply replaces the stock WG.

Any ideas?

BTW, anyone know offhand what size bolts those are on the WG? I'm sure I'll shear at least one of them getting them off - they look nasty. I'll try some Kroil first - but who knows...
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would get a tial 38mm.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by choinga
I'm considering just completely replacing the wastegate. I have the stock one in there but since I'm gutting and shimming might as well just put a new one in there. I don't need a dual port and think I'd like to go with a Tial. However, I have no clue which model they have that just simply replaces the stock WG.

Any ideas?

BTW, anyone know offhand what size bolts those are on the WG? I'm sure I'll shear at least one of them getting them off - they look nasty. I'll try some Kroil first - but who knows...
I wouldnt attempt to loosen the bolts unless you have a good torch. Theyll need to be heated until they are red hot, or else you will more than likely break them... which will incur further costs. Take it to your local mechanic for this one, trust me.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I switched from the Autothority chips to the 951max chipset and LBE and it made a huge difference in the car IMO.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:10 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

This one?

http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg_38.htm

Do I need any of the other parts/springs?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:13 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://us.europartsetc.com/inventory...01&category=76
I think this is the cheapest place to get a bolt on Tial wastegate (includes the adapters). $349. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Same goes for vacuum lines, and oil pan gaskets (with retainers). I think MySwiss works at this place or something...

Last edited by porschefig; 01-31-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Yes, but you are going to need adapters to fit your exhaust system.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dougs951
I switched from the Autothority chips to the 951max chipset and LBE and it made a huge difference in the car IMO.
yeah, my research pointed me to the Lindsey 951Max chips over just about anything else - particularly the autoauthority ones.

I'm looking forward to getting started on it. My only question mark right now is the vacuum hose on the firewall side of the FPR. The Bosch in the kit's male end is about half the size of the existing tube that's connected. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that...I think I'm just going to have to remove it and see what's going on and determine what size tube I need.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go MAF, go Vitesse. Maybe AFM too..

Quick Reply: Installing a Boost Kit - Couple Questions...