Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance clutch alternative

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002 | 08:25 PM
930 under Restoration
Racer

Post Performance clutch alternative

Sup guys

Well, i just got my first 951 last week after having owned Conquest's and Starions with a few 944's, 928's and 911's mixed in and the first thing I'm doing is of course the belts, mounts, water pump and clutch. As far as the clutch goes, I am going with a 6 button copper disk. I always used 4 button on the Conquest's but was a bit harsh for street driving. The first one I did in a Quest, I called ACT and the others and the clutch was way too expensive for my liking. I don't know if you guys know yet or not but you can have a clutch custom built. I just bought a disk from vertexauto.com for $140 and I'll take it to a clutch shop where they will remove the organic pads and install 6 copper buttons for a mere $100 smackers. I believe in doing all my own work and getting parts for what they are actually worth and not the artificially inflated price because of a name like Porsche or ACT, for example.

This same setup on a Conquest modified to 320 rwhp with a stock pressure plate, lasted virtually forever and would not slip even launch after launch and seemed to grab even harder the more I abused it.

Just food for thought if you're thinking about a performance clutch.

Dave

Old 05-20-2002 | 08:30 PM
IMB951
Drifting

ahh yes the infamous mitsubishi/chrysler-starion/conquest. Saw one the other day and I thought a 944 had been to hell and back They are modeled very similar to the porsches
Old 05-21-2002 | 12:20 AM
930 under Restoration
Racer

Yeah, both cars do look very similar mainly because of the flairs. I guess I just got tired of spending so much money on Hal-Tech's and Tec-II systems, 20g's and custom multi port manifolds to get more than 300 horse. The 951 already has the outstanding handling and braking with a good base fuel management system.

The only thing I am really concerned about with the 951 is the final drive ratio which seems a bit low, once it is modified. The 5spd Conquest had basically the same problem and would run out of rpm's at about 145mph whereas the auto Conquest could run up close to 160mph at redline. The last Quest I had was an 89 auto with 320 at the wheels and I ran a late model 6 speed Vette on the loop in Memphis above 155 for 6 miles, at 2am with very light traffic and he just could not hang. We stopped and talked afterward and he was amazed that he just got stomped by a 4cyl. The car was fast as hell but did not have the handling and brakes to feel comfortable at that speed. I would like to get that kind of speed out of this car but it doesn't seem attainable with the gear ratio. Are there different gears that can be put in this transaxle or another transaxle to lower the final drive? It would be nice if the tach read 3grand at 80mph rather than 70mph.

Other than this small problem, I love the car and can't wait to dump some money and a lot of time into making it a 350+hp car. I mean hey........It should have the power to back up it's name.

Dave

Quick Reply: Performance clutch alternative