Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One piece OPRV better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

looks like you have to remove the oil cooler to get it out?
Yep, that's what is shown in the picture. You likely have to go through Porsche for the part.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also worried I stuck my finger in the hole and I got a piece of thread broken off in there out and another piece fell in there..... looks like the threads in the housing had stripped off one part.

I checked 944online which usually lists any part you'd need and that sleev is not listed there so i'm not sure if the dealer would have it.

hmm that pic you posted looks like he is removing and installing the sleeve with teh oil cooler in the car installed, that's why it didn't look possible to me.

also will I need the special porsche tool to install the sleeve?

i'm not going to run my engine any longer and just park it till I can get the oil cooler out then figure out what to do.

you don't have to drain oil to do the oil cooler right? I just put in new oil crap.

also can the oil cooler be removed without removing the exhaust header...... I really don't want to try and remove the exhaust header with rusted on studs and nuts that are likely to snap.

and last question lol, how big of a job is an oil cooler replacement and how difficult is it to do and how many hours?

it looks easier than some of the other stuff I had to go through like trans removal and oil pan gasket replacement. The instructions are a little confusing though in clarks, with measuring how many spacers you need.

thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I just checked the sleeve on my 951 block. It does not move at all and with the housing on the end is over 1/2" away from the threaded section of the housing. If your sleeve can move as far as the threaded section then that has to be a big part of your problem with intermittent oil pressure. I hate to tell you but the oil cooler housing has to come off and the sleeve will need to be replaced, or at the very minimum, checked, sealed, and reseated. There is no way the OPRV piston can work properly if the sleeve slides with it during operation. Sorry for the bad news.

Post a request for a used sleeve if you can't find a new one through the dealer. There are a few trashed early 944 blocks around here that can't be used for anything but a coffee table base.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
I think you should just sell the car. It doesn't like you. As soon as you dump a bunch of money into this, it will come up with something else to make you wish you had sold after the last time you got it running.

You can't fight bad carma, especially bad p-carma.
lol well no I know what is causing my low oil pressure and now high oil pressure it's the oprv but from what I see (loose moving sleeve) I don't think the three piece relief valve has actually failed but the sleeve has.

my orv piston is smooth and not scored and spring is not broken so there can't be anything else wrong with it, however the sleeve in the oil cooler where the piston rides in is loose and moving up and down and that seems to be causing the problem.

so for now it looks like I need a new oil cooler seal kit and a new sleeve and figure out how to replace it.

will I also need the 83-86 allignment tool if i'm using the three piece oprv? I will have to first fix (replace) the what seems to be broken sleeve in the cooler housing before dumping 400 bucks on a new oprv which may not be the problem.

I work and go to school everyday though so this repair will probalby take me 3 weeks or so.......
Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Check ebay etc for a used 1 pc updated OPRV. I picked one up for ~65 about 2 years ago.

If you've done the belts,trans,oprv, etc you can handle the OPRV/oil cooler. You sound like my friend who owned a 944. he loved it and after learning how to do the work could do it no problem (belts, waterpump, head gasket, wiring, etc) ........but just got frustrated with having to work on it/put money in it and gave up. Every time I let him drive my 951 he is kicking himself in the ***.

stick with it!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks Kuhl 951. well I'm kind of relieved even though teh oil cooler has to come out...... at least the oil pan doesn't have to come out lol, or I didn't sin a bearing yet.....

oil cooler seal kit is cheap but I'm not looking forward to replacing teh oil cooler housing and seals it looks messy and a pain in the *** to do.

does my exhaust header have to come off.

what is shop time for this job? if it's like 3 hours I may consider paying to have it done as it'll take me 3-4 weeks most likely, working on it like once a week.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah gets frustrating when you want to go out or get to work or class and now you can't go out because the car decided to break again.

tom I have to bus to work......

my fault though I'm the one that decided it was a good idea to make a 23 year old porsche my daily driver.

everytime I do a repair I say " alright it should be reliable now" and then something else breaks lol.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
Check ebay etc for a used 1 pc updated OPRV. I picked one up for ~65 about 2 years ago.

If you've done the belts,trans,oprv, etc you can handle the OPRV/oil cooler. You sound like my friend who owned a 944. he loved it and after learning how to do the work could do it no problem (belts, waterpump, head gasket, wiring, etc) ........but just got frustrated with having to work on it/put money in it and gave up. Every time I let him drive my 951 he is kicking himself in the ***.

stick with it!

Mike you can't just stick a used oprv in the 85.5 or pre 86 cars. They use a shorter update version to replace the 3 piece units.

anyways I have a feeling that it's not the oprv itself causing my problem but the loose and moving sleeve. sticking a 400 dollar updated oprv in a moving sleeve will likely do no good.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

"used 1pc updated OPRV"

I had 2 early N/As with many of the same problems you've been having. I know the OPRVs are different (if you searched you probably saw my threads about this a few years ago) but the thread is updating so fast I was not aware of the sleeve issue. Take it apart!

It's not that bad, have you had your exhaust manifold off recently? Getting them off is really the hardest part.. although you can work "around them"
Old 01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

never had my exhaust manifold off. is it absolutely necessary to get it off?

if soo I'll soak it in pblaster.

i'm going to order the seal kit I need from paragon and drain the coolant and saok the bolts in pb blaster this week then I'll begin to take it apart next week when I have time.......

is it just me or does a 944 take all your spare time and money to keep running?

it's like a drug addiction, I know it's bad for me but I still want it and spend money on it.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I am now worrying that a small piece of metal fell into that oprv hole and could have been pumped into the oil system. when I stuck my finger in the hole I got a small piece of broken metal (one of the threads in the housing that the oprv botl end bolts onto had broken off. I felt another piece in there also put couldn't get it out. I did test run the engine aftewards to see if I go toil pressure then shut it off.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
everytime I do a repair I say " alright it should be reliable now" and then something else breaks lol.
Well, that's your problem right there. You've got to learn to stop saying that. The Porsche gods always punish p-car hubris. Always. It's, like, a cosmic law.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:58 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

does my exhaust header have to come off.
Not with the right combination of extensions, u-joints, etc. Here is a link to Tom's page. This is for a 951, but shows how to remove the top bolt without removing the header. Oil cooler seals are not that bad. Easier on a N/A than a 951 IMHO.

Also I would contact George Beuselinck at http://www.944ecology.com/ about the sleeve. He is a great source of used hard to find parts.

Last edited by 87944turbo; 01-23-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You should be able to get the housing off with the headers still on the car. It will be tight, but should happen. I did this job many years ago so I know it can be done.

Quick Reply: One piece OPRV better?