Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need pic of OPRV

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

read my other thread, I got a sudden zero oil pressure problem yesterday.

anyways I took the oprv out cranked the motor with ignition wire removed and got no oil squirting out of the hole.

so the oil pump is not pumping the oil? or could it also be a oil pickup tube problem
Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

oil pan gasket was replaced a year and a half ago. back then I checked the oil pickup tube and it was on tight and not cracked.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
read my other thread, I got a sudden zero oil pressure problem yesterday.

anyways I took the oprv out cranked the motor with ignition wire removed and got no oil squirting out of the hole.

so the oil pump is not pumping the oil? or could it also be a oil pickup tube problem
You removed the crank pulley, and were not able to/refused to confirm with anyone that you had oil pressure after that. Which means that the highest probability is that you either put the thrust washer in backwards and/or did not torque the crank pulley enough.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

nope I just lost freakin oil pressure again. meaning after it sits overnight in the morning it won't build oil pressure again. however yesterady I drove it around and it was fine and when I parked it for 2 hours and restarted it again it was fine also

so obviously not crank bolt and no it wasn't on wrong. it's either the oprv sticks open when it is shut off and sitting overnight? dont' get how that would happen when teh oil pump is no longer running.

or the oil pump keeps on losing it's prime? why?

I'm going to drain the 20w50 now and put in 5w50 synethtic and see if it is the oil. if that doesn't work then I'll take the oprv out again and clean it and put it back then if that works then I'll know at least that it's the oprv sticking somehow.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

nope I just lost freakin oil pressure again. meaning after it sits overnight in the morning it won't build oil pressure again. however yesterady I drove it around and it was fine and when I parked it for 2 hours and restarted it again it was fine also

so obviously not crank bolt and no it wasn't on wrong.
Based on the information you've given, I completely disagree with your conclusion. Exactly why would you think that your observation means that it's not the thrust washer and/or crank bolt?

or the oil pump keeps on losing it's prime? why?
Prime? Well, I guess we can call it that. But a consistent dry start is often just a bad flapper in the oil filter. What you describe is worse than that situation.

Did you even bother to check if the thrust washer is on in the right direction? Did you use a torue wrench to verify that the crank bolt is up to the torque spec?

I know, you don't want to do either of these things. You'd rather shop for answers. And that's fine, but stop asking if you don't want to know what the most likely cause is unless you are willing to at least make a passing attempt at taking the advice and eliminating issues in a logical and sensible manner.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

dude I did check it yesterday. Which trust washer are you talking about? the one that goes over the power steering pulley and the big bolt goes through? if yes then yeah it is right.

and yes I used a torque wrench and torqued it to 155 ft-lbs.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude I did check it yesterday. Which trust washer are you talking about? the one that goes over the power steering pulley and the big bolt goes through? if yes then yeah it is right.

and yes I used a torque wrench and torqued it to 155 ft-lbs.
Did you install the new OPRV?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

what I said seems logical. as I have pretty much eliminated the crankshaft bolt. I checked it and took it out and reinstalled and torqued it yesterday and it wouln't have come loose today and I have done timing belt replacments a few times now so I know what i'm doing with that I would think.

anyways the car cannot build oil pressure after sitting overnight twice now so the oil pump seems to be losing it's prime maybe because of the oprv , I'm not really sure.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPR
Did you install the new OPRV?
didn't order one yet. today I'll check things one by one and if it is the oprv then I'll order one tom as I have no other choice.

first I'll put thinner oil in incases the 20w50 is too thick it's one degree out (celcius) so above freezing.

then if that doesn't solve it (not likely) I used to start the car in -10 with 15w50 and it was fine, built pressure right away.

then I'll take out and clean and replace my oprv then cran it again and if that does it then it must be the oprv.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

hmm my oil seems really thick it's taking 10 minutes for all of it to drain out of the drain valve I have installed. the new 5w50 should be better.

Quick Reply: Need pic of OPRV