Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof goes down but not up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Gerald Allgire
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by icat:
<strong>

Did it work either way before you replaced the relay (up or down)? It seems to me that if the relay was bad, then would it not work in both directions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, mine wouldn't move in either direction. My cables inside the guides were all bent up from someone forcing the roof closed manually. I found that after I fixed the burned artwork inside the relay. My relay was more than just anormal relay, it had a circiut board inside as well, so anything is possible. I would have to guess that one of your micro switches in the rear could be bad or your console switch could even be bad. This is just tough to trouble shoot over the web, what am I saying it was tough to trouble shoot in person!
Old 06-13-2002, 01:10 AM
jordanolder
Instructor

can someone actually post the locations of these relays? (more or less accurately)
Old 06-13-2002, 04:44 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

[quote] actually post the locations of these relays? <hr></blockquote>
Up-down relays are on the motor frame in the back(left side behind the carpet), brownish, cant miss them.
If you take out the relay, you can pry off the cover.(Mark the cover firts, it can be put back in a different position and that DOES matter).
Ree-insert without cover and operate maunally by pressing the contacts will show if the problem is in the control circuit.

Most probably the failing up-down action is caused by the switch in the roof (behind the triangle). This tend to re-locate itself quite easy. It can be jumped, you can live without.
Just be carefull when operating the roof.
The other relay that provides power in key pos 1 for retraction is in the fuse box.
TakeCare

Quick Reply: Sunroof goes down but not up?