Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't get the wheel bearing grease caps off????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I can't get the wheel bearing grease caps off????

Okay, I thought I'd tackle a relatively simple task on the new '84 944. I've already rebuilt the power steering pump, replaced the rear hatch, installed a new clock, refinished the wheels and added stripes to the car etc.

So I have been busy with a lot and figured that tightening up the front wheel bearings would be a quick task for today. Well the easy ones are never easy. I can't get the grease caps off. In all the posts I searched on wheel bearings this wasn't even mentioned as an issue. I spent an hour with a hammer and chisel, screwdrivers, tire irons the works and not so much as a budge. I sprayed PB on them too and no joy. Is there a trick? some special tool? Any possibility that heating the aluminum hub with a heat gun could give me some relief?

I need to reseal the front end and do a complete belt R&R but if I can't even get the grease caps off the front wheels I might just have to re-evaluate my capabilities.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kilodawg
Okay, I thought I'd tackle a relatively simple task on the new '84 944. I've already rebuilt the power steering pump, replaced the rear hatch, installed a new clock, refinished the wheels and added stripes to the car etc.

So I have been busy with a lot and figured that tightening up the front wheel bearings would be a quick task for today. Well the easy ones are never easy. I can't get the grease caps off. In all the posts I searched on wheel bearings this wasn't even mentioned as an issue. I spent an hour with a hammer and chisel, screwdrivers, tire irons the works and not so much as a budge. I sprayed PB on them too and no joy. Is there a trick? some special tool? Any possibility that heating the aluminum hub with a heat gun could give me some relief?

I need to reseal the front end and do a complete belt R&R but if I can't even get the grease caps off the front wheels I might just have to re-evaluate my capabilities.
Redneck rules apply, "IF IT AINT MOVIN YOU NEED A BIGGER HAMMER"

Mine took liberal application of a chisel and a 36oz Ball peen hammer, alternate sides and, no reading into the following statement, hit it until it moves like you want it to. Worst case scenario you might have to replace your spindles, best case the cup comes off and you can do your bearings, anything in between still has you getting your bearings repacked and maybe having to replace the grease cap.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Get two clawed hammers. Lay one flat against the hub (basiclly a spacer). Place the second hammer on the first and use the claw to pop open the cap. You need to do a little on one side, then the next and it will pop right out. Very effective and quick.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I've always used the hammer & chisel method without problems. You may not be hitting hard enough.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a claw hammer, worked well.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a bigger hammer.

Quick Reply: I can't get the wheel bearing grease caps off????