Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** HELP with a STIFF Shifting Transmission**

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 03:02 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post ** HELP with a STIFF Shifting Transmission**

My son’s 85.5 NA 944 just developed a real stiff shift – in all gears up and down. Clutch seems to take up fine, and does not slip.

Double clutching on the downshift definitely helps. Car only has 50,000 miles on it and was parked for several years before we got it running again last year, 6.000 miles ago.

Before I take it in for service, any thoughts on what the cause is? Clutch slave? Master cylinder? Brakes are fine – new discs and pads last year. Changed all the hydraulic fluid and flushed / bled all the brake lines, but did not bleed the clutch slave.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-13-2003, 04:02 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

just for shifts and giggles , try some redline gear oil. helps shift a lot smoother. ya gotta get it at some performance shop. I think performance products carries it. give that a try. I bet it'll work. I don't think it's the clutch...but what do I know? I'm only 20, and I drive a 924S, and rebuilding it for the second time.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the shifter hard to move, or do you mean the response when you let out the clutch is stiff?
Old 06-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Robert D:
<strong>Is the shifter hard to move, or do you mean the response when you let out the clutch is stiff?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Shifter is now much harder to move - almost feels like it is stuck in gear as if the clutch does not disengage fully when depressed. No change in clutch pedal effort though.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Bret 944
Pro

Mine starting doing that right before my rubber centered clutch went out on me. Stiff in all gears, then I started getting some noise. Clutch pedal/effort never seemed to change though. With only 50,000 I'm assuming still the factory clutch. Could be the culprit.

Bret
Old 06-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Yes, the rubber center deteriorates over time. I would recommend having it checked, some clutches last only 30k...the original on my car went until 80k. I'd definetely replace with a spring-centered sachs unit, good luck! Oh and it is not an extremely difficult task to do this yourself, it just takes time and tools. I replaced mine once with my father, it was a fun time yelling at bolts .
Old 06-13-2003, 02:31 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Yup when my rubber center went the same deal happened. Literally had to ram it in gear to get it home.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I really can't think of anything else...other then the shifter being fastened to the torque tube too tightly. This seemed to make all movement of the stick difficult, not just putting it in gear.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Predator
Pro

could be a seized pilot bearing. if the heater valve leaks, the fluid will travel directly to the pilot bearing area and eventually cause the bearing to seize. when this happens the tranny is constantly be driven and the symptoms are as described. sad part, might as well change the whole thing to a sprung hud setup. same amount of work to change the pilot bearing as the clutch.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Predator
Pro

again, does the tranny grind going into reverse? dead giveaway that the pilot bearing in seized to the input shaft.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:57 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Predator:
<strong>again, does the tranny grind going into reverse? dead giveaway that the pilot bearing in seized to the input shaft.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Don't think it is the pilot bearing - symptoms only show up when the car is driven, the faster, the harder it is to shift in or out of gear. From a cold start, everything seems normal. Only after 1 block, the shift action gets really heavy. In fact, at rest when the engine is off, the tranny shifts in and out of gear like normal.

Skip gave me a few tips on what to check on for clutch problems so up on the blocks tomorrow after the early morning PCA-CWR run to Whistler! The 951S is running fine, so that's what we'll drive!
Old 06-14-2003, 01:11 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Is it possible to free up the pilot bearing without pulling the bellhousing apart?
Old 06-14-2003, 02:51 PM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same stiff shifting on my 89 951. Took it to my local garage and replaced the slave cylinder myself. When the problem didn't go away, I took it to the dealer and in about 30 seconds of examinations they told me it was the clutch. Replaced the entire thing along with the throw out bearing, needle bearings and what not. BTW, if you do this clutch job, make sure you get the bolts from the dealer for the bellhousing. There are about 12 of them, and you need an allen-key type tool to unsrew them. They strip simply by looking at them! So make sure you get the bolts ordered BEFORE you begin the job. The entire R&R took about 15 hours on my 951 (had to drop the exhaust, drive-shaft, tranny, and shifter to get to the clutch).
Old 06-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by George Boss:
<strong>I had the same stiff shifting on my 89 951. Took it to my local garage and replaced the slave cylinder myself. When the problem didn't go away, I took it to the dealer and in about 30 seconds of examinations they told me it was the clutch. Replaced the entire thing along with the throw out bearing, needle bearings and what not. BTW, if you do this clutch job, make sure you get the bolts from the dealer for the bellhousing. There are about 12 of them, and you need an allen-key type tool to unsrew them. They strip simply by looking at them! So make sure you get the bolts ordered BEFORE you begin the job. The entire R&R took about 15 hours on my 951 (had to drop the exhaust, drive-shaft, tranny, and shifter to get to the clutch).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Thanks George. I'm pretty sure it is the OEM rubber center clutch that is shot. Seems that quite a few local guys have lost a clutch in this past month! At our local PCA-CWR early morning run today 2 guys just installed new clutches and had a simiar experience.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:17 PM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not surprised that we have this problem. After all, isn't the old axiom "You only hurt the ones you love" true?

Quick Reply: ** HELP with a STIFF Shifting Transmission**