Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident Aftermath (or, cutting the front end off a totalled car)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Accident Aftermath (or, cutting the front end off a totalled car)

Some of you may remember my "Bought an S2!" thread from a few weeks ago. The S2 is fine. However, the reason for the S2 purchase was an accident I was in back in October in my '85/1 944. I bought the car from my insurance company (by the way, stay far, far away from AAA/Western United Insurance).

Today, schwank and I (okay, schwank) took a sawzall to the front of the car. Will make removing the engine (potentially looking for a straight chassis to turn into a DE/track car) very easy. First two photos are of the damage to the frame rail that totalled the car. My accident was in a 35 MPH zone, I probably bled about 10/15 MPH off my speed before I hit the person stopped in my lane trying to turn left. Yes, I was doing the speed limit. Based on the damage and the respray lines we found when taking stuff apart, I'm thinking there was a previous accident that was unreported and repaired that stressed the frame. Third photo is of the damage to the bumper shock area on the passenger side, and the fourth photo is the car with no front!

I don't want to do this again.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Accident Aftermath (or, cutting the front end off a totalled car)