Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear toe adjustment - special tool needed??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 03:00 PM
tt9714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rear toe adjustment - special tool needed??

I'm getting ready to take my car in for a 4 wheel alignment. I have decided to go to a reputable independent service shop that does work on Porsches (but not exclusively).

When reviewing the factory service manuals, the section on rear wheel alignment mentions that a "special tool" is needed to adjust rear toe. Can someone help me understand just how "special" this tool is? Can something similar be fabricated/substituted to accomplish the same results?

On a side note, the factory manual also specifies a "special tool" to center the steering rack. This could easily be fabricated from the proper diameter and length bolt.

I know that the shop is good, but I'm not sure if they will have this "special tool." The mechanic I spoke with originally claimed 25 years of experience with Porsche which gives me more confidence in their skills.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:27 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by tt9714:
<strong>When reviewing the factory service manuals, the section on rear wheel alignment mentions that a "special tool" is needed to adjust rear toe. Can someone help me understand just how "special" this tool is? Can something similar be fabricated/substituted to accomplish the same results?</strong><hr></blockquote>

P221 from SIR Tools is the tool you need - they really should have it, as it's used on the early/mid 911, 924, and 944. Otherwise, there's no point in making one as the original is ~$22.

[quote]<strong>On a side note, the factory manual also specifies a "special tool" to center the steering rack. This could easily be fabricated from the proper diameter and length bolt.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Easy to fabricate - either grind the end of a proper size/thread bolt to a point (not sharp, just a point), or use a small ball-bearing (~4mm) with a proper sized bolt backing it up. This *tool* is used to lock the rack into a centered position so you can have a properly aligned installation of the splined shaft, steering wheel, tie-rods, or alignment.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Rear toe adjustment - special tool needed??