Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof center microswitch R+R

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003 | 08:43 PM
944Play
Pro

Question Sunroof center microswitch R+R

The switch in the roof between the visors is acting up. It's intermittent, and when it does close it's only when partially depressed, so I'm guessing I just need to clean it up or bend a contact or something.

According to Clark's Garage, there is a plastic cover that must be pried off to access the retaining screws. Does this mean the actual plate the roof panel tongue touches, or the piece surrounding it?
Old 01-13-2003 | 07:14 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

The piece surrounding it.
The switch is helt in place by some foam (not the best example of sound German engineering!!!)
Replace foam
TakeCare
Old 01-13-2003 | 09:50 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by 944Play:
<strong>
According to Clark's Garage, there is a plastic cover that must be pried off to access the retaining screws. Does this mean the actual plate the roof panel tongue touches, or the piece surrounding it?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The plate that activates the switch is plastic. Carefully pry it off. Underneath that is a screw that holds the whole assembly in.
Old 01-16-2003 | 07:49 PM
944Play
Pro

Thank you, Scott! I got the switch out and bent the lever arm just enough that it stays (electrically) closed when fully depressed. I FINALLY have a sunroof that works as PAG intended!

Hans, I see what you mean about the foam holding it in. Mine also has a little snap lug on one side.

This car has come a long way since I "took delivery" of it -- power locks, clock x2, hatch release, power seat, lots of light bulbs, rear wiper, cooling fan relay, fresh air blower, and now sunroof have all been fixed, and that's just the electrical stuff! Now everything works except the underhood light, unless I've overlooked something. Come to think of it, I haven't checked that the windshield washer nozzles heat up....
Old 02-03-2003 | 12:23 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

In case you haven't got an answer on this, the underhood light only works when the headlights are switched to the on possition.

Is the microswitch you refer to located in between the gear housings?? How big/small is it?
Old 02-03-2003 | 03:13 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

The switch is in between the visors.. under the black plastic tongue..
Old 02-03-2003 | 03:23 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah...so, if it's shot, where do I get a replacement? Is it a plug and play part?
I checked Paragon under Sunroof microswitch, but nothing comes up!?

Also, could it be in need of a cleaning (metal contacts, etc)?
Old 02-04-2003 | 08:25 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by AndyK:
<strong>Ah...so, if it's shot, where do I get a replacement? Is it a plug and play part?
I checked Paragon under Sunroof microswitch, but nothing comes up!?

Also, could it be in need of a cleaning (metal contacts, etc)?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">It is a very flimsy small switch with flying leads on them, contact cleaner wont help here.
There must be an OEM for this switch, but I havn't found it.
You can jump the switch without loosing functionality.
Just remember not to operate the "close" button in the console as long as the roof is out.
TakeCare
Old 02-04-2003 | 09:50 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Hans-
I sprayed contact cleaner on my switch, and now it's working again!?
Old 02-04-2003 | 12:28 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by AndyK:
<strong>Hey Hans-
I sprayed contact cleaner on my switch, and now it's working again!?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">You must have been lucky, mine was completely closed, no access to contacts. Mine is the old style, maybe that is the difference.
TakeCare

Quick Reply: Sunroof center microswitch R+R