Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MaxTune users...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 AM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MaxTune users...

I was looking on their website and searching threads but couldn't find the answer.

In the software there is a tab labeled "auxiliary maps." Which maps are editable? The website mentions the intake air temperature compensation map but what else does it include?

Stephen
Old 12-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump.
I'm curious as well...

-Rogue
Old 12-31-2008, 05:27 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still haven't gotten the chip I ordered over a month ago
Old 12-31-2008, 11:18 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

You can edit the FQS scalars, rev limiter (fuel cut off), and temp correction.

I would love to be able to use my maxtronic, but I sent it back to russell as it was flaky and don't have it back yet... seems like an awesome program
Old 12-31-2008, 11:32 AM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Bump.
I'm curious as well...

-Rogue
I found out a bit more from someone who works closely with Russell. Apparently there's an IAT correction map of some type (2D, 3D?) and adjustment to the FQS scalers.

I *know* however that there must be an AFM translation table in there somewhere as the AFM outputs are drastically different (in linearity) between early and late cars. Maybe I should just get a BIN and start looking for everything other than the standard set of maps. I'm sure (and I doubt any tuner will admit) that they've run across data that they "don't know what it does."

Maybe a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Motronic Maps....lol

Stephen
Old 12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
MM951
Race Director

fwiw, everything in the aux. maps is 2D

what are you looking to do?

re: AFM outputs. On the "configuration" tab there are map/image offsets, and an "AFM transfer" that may have something to do with what you are looking at. I don't quite understand it. I don't think you can edit them, but maybe you can in file mode.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
fwiw, everything in the aux. maps is 2D

what are you looking to do?

re: AFM outputs. On the "configuration" tab there are map/image offsets, and an "AFM transfer" that may have something to do with what you are looking at. I don't quite understand it. I don't think you can edit them, but maybe you can in file mode.
Well, just some ideas playing around with MAFs and stuff. The internal AFM xfer functions makes life a lot cleaner.

I'm curious, if the IAT correction map is 2D, exactly what is it referenced by? Is it compensating for ignition or fuel and it just a simple RPM reference?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Im running maxtune and the maxtronic on my NA, LOVE IT, Im running it with a Huntley Racing MAF setup, Works fine
Old 12-31-2008, 09:32 PM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fast924S
Im running maxtune and the maxtronic on my NA, LOVE IT, Im running it with a Huntley Racing MAF setup, Works fine
You're using the Split Second ARC-2, right? I've heard they have a problem with drifting over time. Interestingly, Split Second is located less than 10 minutes from my house.

The German engineer in me wanted to develop something a bit cleaner / more elegant.

Stephen
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

FR wilk goes into pretty good detail about the inner workings of the DME/AFM...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 PM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
FR wilk goes into pretty good detail about the inner workings of the DME/AFM...
Not enough detail for me

I think I'm going to go ahead and actually go through the Probst book cover-to-cover.

Originally Posted by Fast924S
You finally get any dyno numbers?

Stephen
'86 944NA
Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
eman930
Banned

No dyno numbers yet, Gotta wait till spring, to much snow right now. Im using both the ARC2 and the Maxtronic, I havent figured out how to run the MAF just on maxtronic alone, Since Huntley Racing isnt around anymore its really hard to found out info on the MAF unit. But for now it works, I dont use the ARC2 to make adjustments anymore Just the Maxtronic, Only time the ARC2 needed to be retuned was when it got really cold or really hot, Like maybe a 30 degree difference from when the tune was done, But its easy to retune, Since I have installed the Maxtronic I havent had to touch the ARc2 at all, Soon I will have a wideband 02 installed so I can see how things are, But so far so good
Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM
MM951
Race Director

I had the ARC-2/Maxtronic combo until my maxtronic **** the bed. I've been dying to get a replacement so I can actually tune my car...the ARC-2 is way too crude and I can't get it 100% drivable. I was planning on using the maxtronic to tune but I still don't have one back Seriously considering going w/ the vitesse MAF kit
Old 01-03-2009, 03:25 PM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fast924S
No dyno numbers yet, Gotta wait till spring, to much snow right now. Im using both the ARC2 and the Maxtronic, I havent figured out how to run the MAF just on maxtronic alone, Since Huntley Racing isnt around anymore its really hard to found out info on the MAF unit. But for now it works, I dont use the ARC2 to make adjustments anymore Just the Maxtronic, Only time the ARC2 needed to be retuned was when it got really cold or really hot, Like maybe a 30 degree difference from when the tune was done, But its easy to retune, Since I have installed the Maxtronic I havent had to touch the ARc2 at all, Soon I will have a wideband 02 installed so I can see how things are, But so far so good
You need to move to CA.

It misted last night but everything's drying it; it's sunny and about 64 degrees. Later it will just kiss 70 and I'll be out driving with the roof out

This sort of confirms what I thought was going on with the ARC2 and the ECU. Nothing like experimental results. I'm really excited to see where you end up, power-wise.

I think you'll find the wideband indispensable for really seeing what's going on. One of the biggest problems with the stock ECU is it's lack of self-adjustment. The O2 sensor (if you don't have a Wilk chip) really has very limited effect on final mixture. With a Wilk chip there is no effect. I think this is a big reason why people bolt stuff on and it doesn't do much. These cars really need custom tunes when you start messing with them...even the NAs (turbos that's a given).

Stephen
============
86 944 NA
02 Subaru WRX modded
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
eman930
Banned

Yea i wish it was nice here, but ill have to wait, I noticed a huge difference when i loaded the 93 octane maps, I think your right about custom tuning, with the NA's its all about timing advance and compresion ratios, with the 1988 10.2cr pistons I installed and the 93 octane maps it really makes her pull. Cant wait to play with it some more. Still gotta get it threw emissions, lol

Quick Reply: MaxTune users...