Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Auto Shipping Company?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:59 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Auto Shipping Company?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 944 and am going to have to have it shipped to me.

I've used a company called DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) twice in the past for work relocation auto shipping and they damn near totalled the rear end of my wife's Volvo on one trip (looked like some kind of a garage door or something fell full force on the trunk lid).

Anyway, I obviously want to do closed and was curious to hear others opinions about companies they've used to ship these types of vehicles...people that know what they are doing, are very careful with these cars (ie; don't strap them down by the suspension) and have good records. I know accidents happen - but I'm looking to minimize as much risk as possible for this trip.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I'll be shipping from the Washington DC area to TX, if that matters...
Old 12-22-2008, 03:39 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want the best contact Intercity Lines, Inc.
It who PCNA used to deliver the Carerra GT's
www.intercitylines.com
800-221-3936
There are others that do a good job also but you asked for the best...
Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

i used DAS last year and they messed up the three cars i shipped.

i used them again this year, but paid the $112 for the zero deductible insurance from them and had comprehensive and collision on the car with my insurance co.

i paid for the 951 to go on the top, outside, and it came to me in perfect shape and early. guess they treat the cars with the insurance that makes them pay better!

so the minnesota car is off the list? what are you getting?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks - just requested a quote from Intercity...

Nope - I didn't buy the 951 in MN - I bought a red/black interior 87 951 from a guy in Maryland. He's taken meticulous care of the car (his brother is a Porsche mechanic) and has done quite a few upgrades (speedforce 3" exhaust, Spec 4H clutch with Fidanza flywheel, Koni shocks, Fiske rims ($800 each) with Toyo RA1 tires all around, in last 8k he's done a new fuel and water pump and replaced/retensioned all the belts/hoses, etc...). The interior is in fantastic shape - best stock seats/carpet I've ever seen in a 87.

I'm pretty stoked - can't wait to get it here...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

maryland to texas is an easy drive this time of year. I95 south to the carolinas, right on I10 and across. It can be done in two days. You are below the snow belt so it should be a clean drive.

i bet someone here would sell you a bra cheap. i have one from my S2 that will go on the turbo for the track. the clips are different so they wont work well on a long trip.

guards red for a first porsche is a great color. after three guards red 944s my wife said i could get a porsche in any color but red, or yellow, or something else i forgot.

she nixed my co workers 7k mile 95 M3 because it is yellow, but another co workers sisters silver beetle for her is ok. go figya.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We use to ship all the cars from the shop via Fedex (Passport sold out to them), or Concourse Transport. Both are enclosed, but neither are cheap (figure minimum $1200).
Old 12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

yeah, im considering driving it - would be a fun first experience with the car...but a little nervous about the weather (your route down the coast and over adds about 300 more miles than going across the mid-section through nashville, memphis, little rock, dallas to austin) and the remote possibility that if something goes wrong/breaks I'm in a world of hurt likely in the middle of nowhere... Even factoring in a one-way flight and with gas so cheap (probably would need about 70 gallons) it would be a fraction of the cost to drive it back compared to enclosed shipping (I'm looking at about $1500 w/insurance and such and I won't see the car for a week and a half after it gets on the truck).

I'm definitely going to buy a bra anyway - so if someone has one they are willing to part with, let me know.

Hmmm...decisions...decisions...
Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When i drove out to san diego from ny back in 1990 we had to go the southern route because we didnt have cell phones, wireless laptops, and the internet.

if you take the drive, I am pretty sure you can get a phone bank of rennlisters every few hundred miles in case something goes wrong, with a AAA gold card you get 100 miles of tow, and with the wireless, and a starbucks every few hundred feet you can get weather updates every few miles, shoot for the shorter drive, and if the weather haunts you, go south.

i had my car shipped from upstate NY to Denver this past september. DAS got about 1200 out of me for the 1800 mile drive, but i wasnt enclosed. i think i would have had to add about 400 for enclosed, so instead i took the insurance.

The belts on my turbo had 20k miles on them, the car has 49k, and they were changed at 29k, i wasnt going to risk the drive with the age, and to pay someone up there to do the job, fly out, lose two days pay, etc, it was the same as shipping it here and getting a few locals to do the job with me (make that show me how they did the job and hope i remember for next time).
Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

If you decide to drive it you should post your route and those of us along the way can give you our contact info in case you need help...
Old 12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

google map the route from baltimore to austin, then put atlanta in as a middle destination, and the mileage goes up 100. that keeps you out of tenessee etc. and should keep you south enough from lousy weather. plus it sends you through an area with a high concentration of rennlisters a third of the way home.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:48 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i ship everything using intercity when i have an option.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

rock on - damn this forum rules.

10-day outlook through TN looks good. I'll probably fly up on Saturday and start the drive back stopping for the night in Memphis (about half way) to stay with some family there which will save me a few bucks on the hotel.

So, my route will be from DC to Roanake to Knoxville to Nashville to Memphis to Little Rock to Dallas to Austin.

Is there a better place to post this - or start a new thread - to get a few contacts along the way?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by choinga
rock on - damn this forum rules.

10-day outlook through TN looks good. I'll probably fly up on Saturday and start the drive back stopping for the night in Memphis (about half way) to stay with some family there which will save me a few bucks on the hotel.

So, my route will be from DC to Roanake to Knoxville to Nashville to Memphis to Little Rock to Dallas to Austin.

Is there a better place to post this - or start a new thread - to get a few contacts along the way?
I live near Raonoke (not Roanake...-))
cell is 540-537-6655

I would not under ANY circumstances drive through Atlanta...
Old 12-22-2008, 05:59 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

thanks Eddie. I think I'm actually going to delay until the 2nd because I've got some family making the drive from Memphis back to Austin that I can hook up with and caravan with the last 900 miles or so...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Transilvania Good and cheap

Quick Reply: Best Auto Shipping Company?