Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guidance for my winter projects, please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008 | 02:27 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Default Guidance for my winter projects, please.

My main "doable" project will be removing the intake manifold for the first time, removing and cleaning the ISV, and hoping I can put it all back together. As much as I don't like having the car apart (I love driving it too much), my other car needs to be driven some! So one of the obvious other "while you're in there jobs" is powdercoating the intake manifold. I was thinking white to match the paint. Comments?

Also, I replaced all the hard lines with lindsey lines but heard that there are some hoses or something that should be looked at under there?

I need to either delete the A/C (my preference) or get the A/C to work (significant other's preference). Now while I could care less if the A/C works (if I want some A/C I'll drive the other car!), we all know that girls turn into statues of salt or melt etc if they have to ride with the windows down. I think their hair catches on fire or something. So working A/C means I get to drive the car more often in the summer.

I could try to replace my front valence (huge crack) but I don't particularly care.

Been thinking about motor mounts, too.

I need some inspiration, here!
Old 12-13-2008 | 02:36 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I have seen a couple of white intake manifolds and painted ones in general and don't care for it too much. I would get it bead blasted which will really bring back the natural aluminun finish, or get it powder coated aluminum color.

I would definately check out the hoses running to your J-boot and brake booster etc. While I haven't really seen much of a problem with them on any of the NA's I have worked on its worth a look, but the vacuum lines are usually where any issues are.

Like you said A/C is a preference. I deleted mine a long time ago since I am going for a cup car clone, but once I did that my girlfriend started refering to the car as the "winter car" since she doesn't really like to ride in it during the hot summer months unless she is dressed appropriately in her swimming attire. But if it's something simple to fix on your current A/C then it usually works very well.

Fresh motor mounts are a wonderful thing especially if yours are really worn. The last set I put on made a night and day difference.

Are you looking to dress up the car a bit, or simply just fix issues?
Old 12-13-2008 | 03:36 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

There's only so much dressing up to a 170k mile car. The paint is original, yeah, but the front bumper is cracked. The sunroof has always leaked (I've got a seal in the mail...that was a painful $100 to hand over) and has absolutely destroyed the headliner vinyl. The whole thing rattles because of the motor mounts. I really want to do MM but $300 for a pair of porsche mounts is out of hand.
Old 12-13-2008 | 03:45 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

I've seen powdercoated aluminum-colored ones. There was one on here FS recently. Just doesn't do it for me. If it's gonna be PCd it needs to stand out a bit. My intake actually looks pretty "new," at least on the top, due to my wire brushing the crap out of it. I have a bead blaster I can use here at school (it is fun) so that's a thought. Well the only other color I'd considered was blue.

I should go out on a limb and just get it purple or something.
Old 12-13-2008 | 05:36 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

If you do blue or purple, make it dark. Dark colored powdercoat looks very very cool. Plus it wont be as flashy as a bright blue or bright purple.

But I think white would just get too dirty and/or start to turn yellow after a while from gas or oil vapor stains, or whatever it is that causes that to happen.

Does your J-boot have cracks in it? Mine was dry and cracked and was angled back more than usual causing it to be sort of pinched. Once I replaced that thing it actually made my car run a bit better.
Old 12-13-2008 | 09:31 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by knfeparty
..... The sunroof has always leaked (I've got a seal in the mail...that was a painful $100 to hand over) and has absolutely destroyed the headliner vinyl. .....
I've got a spare sunroof liner (in black) that's in fantastic shape.
PM me if interested.
Also, as far as OEM parts have you contacted Sunset Porsche in Oregon? They have some of the best prices around.
Old 12-13-2008 | 10:42 AM
marky522
Drifting

Hey Ash, if you want to do the Motor mounts, I have Randy holding a set for me, and it wil be a while before i need them, next time your in remind me and ill look up my price, you wont get it cheaper for OEM. And dont worry whatever you screw up, i can fix Hey, I did Mark's (MTCCL) camtower gasket in 2 hours!!! I was amazed...

Mark
Old 12-13-2008 | 11:24 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

mark, that sounds awesome.

sml, it actually isn't the sunroof panel, is the vinyl around the drains and the sunroof gears thats so bad off.

What do you do in Hatteras? We go by there all the time. We even have a namesake Hatteras boat!
Old 12-13-2008 | 11:34 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

I have some new drive gears on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1659&viewitem=

I you're interested PM me and I'll make you a better deal.

What do I do in Hatteras?? As little as possible... We have a house down there so, a little fishing, a little drinking etc. It's in the village of Hatteras.
Old 12-13-2008 | 11:43 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

I had my intake manifold sandblasted, not sure what media was used, but it cleaned up to like new. Make sure you plug all openings and cover the mounting surfaces before blasting.

Delete the AC
Old 12-13-2008 | 01:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

i dont have AC but i find that a fully open sunroof, windows closed and the fan blowing keeps temperatures pretty comfy. and girls' hair doesnt get messed up.,

Quick Reply: Guidance for my winter projects, please.