Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Experts: Teach me all I need to know about the original Glasurit Alpine White

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
The definition of "looks good" is very subjective. Is it ****? i want my toy to look a certain way. You may be **** about your car, and your car may look good to you, but look like butt to me.
Are you saying you'd be able to tell the difference between Glasurit, BASF and PPG or are you saying it's just a mental thing - like you'd always know in the back of your head it wasn't Glasurit? I guess I could understand the mental thing - I'm about as **** as they come when it comes to my vehicles. I just got done installing my "new" wiring harness. I unwrapped, inspected, replaced wires, changed a few things and rewrapped the whole damn thing. I'll be doing the same for the engine harness soon too. Paint was important, but not once did it go through my mind that it had to be Glasurit.

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Oh the shame, how do you even see out of that mongrel US glass?
It's worse than you think - it's XYG Glass which is based out of Canada and probably made in China.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
Are you saying you'd be able to tell the difference between Glasurit, BASF and PPG or are you saying it's just a mental thing - like you'd always know in the back of your head it wasn't Glasurit? I guess I could understand the mental thing - I'm about as **** as they come when it comes to my vehicles. I just got done installing my "new" wiring harness. I unwrapped, inspected, replaced wires, changed a few things and rewrapped the whole damn thing. I'll be doing the same for the engine harness soon too. Paint was important, but not once did it go through my mind that it had to be Glasurit.

It's worse than you think - it's XYG Glass which is based out of Canada and probably made in China.
For me it is not the brand it is the type. My firebird was painted in 86 with laquer. in 98 i scratchedthe rear quarter. the local shop shot it in urethane and put clear on it. the color match was spot on, in most light it was fine, but at a few angles if you know what you were loooking for you saw the difference in the colors intensity, and saw the clear. that drove me nuts.

someone backed into the rear bumper of my miata in 01, they replaced the bumper skin and trunk lid. the quarters were not touched. i knew that when i bought the car. wax the car up real good, look and you can see a slight difference where they blended it. you had to look hard, and there were two dust spots in the paint. most people couldnt see it, but i did.

Quick Reply: Paint Experts: Teach me all I need to know about the original Glasurit Alpine White