Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fire x'gsher

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 09:49 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I considered putting it on the other way, but it seemed to slide into place better this way.

If it rubs on the floor that makes it harder to slide the seat forward and back, No?

It may be "upside down", but I like it beter this way. :-D
Old 05-21-2002, 06:42 PM
Z-man
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>I considered putting it on the other way, but it seemed to slide into place better this way.
If it rubs on the floor that makes it harder to slide the seat forward and back, No?
It may be "upside down", but I like it beter this way. :-D</strong><hr></blockquote>
It may look nice now, but once you install a fire extinguisher on it, and hit some bumps, you will see it will be bouncing up and down alot, and the joint will probably not be able to handle the weight of the extinguisher for too long! In order to install it 'rightside up' you can bend the joint up a little: that way it will just rest on the floor, and you should be able to move your set a little. But once you get a harness setup installed, it will be even more difficult to move the seats, due to the subbelt (aka the crotch belt).

It's always better to have something mounted securely: believe me, you don't want that thing distracting you at an autox or on the track!

Just my $0.42
-Z.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:49 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Well, I guess we'll see after I get my extuinguisher all charged up eh?

Maybe I'll be able to reinforceit somehow...

Ah well...something for the future.

I figured the label should face up...but it didn't seem like it "shoulda" gone in that way...it slid in so much easier this way...oh well...I can do it without taking the seat out this time.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:37 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
What is the price of the stable energies mount?
Old 05-21-2002, 11:49 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

50 dollaz i believe. give or take a fiver.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Given the frequency of fire tragedy on this board, I too am looking into some sort of protection. If possible I would prefer to not hang an ugly bottle in the cab, so my thought would be to install a system like the racers use which only has a button inside the cab which activates nosels inside the engine bay. Along with being a more steath type install, it is faster and safer. You do not have to take the time to release your seat belt, unclamp the extinguisher, release the hood, open the door, lift the hood, jump back when the flames surge, then shoot the bottle. I am sure that they must be more expensive, but then so is loosing a car.

My question is who makes these system and where can they be purchased. Any of you racers out there know about these systems?
Old 05-25-2002, 08:28 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I just installed the extuinguisher (its only half charged, but I was happy to fix the bucking problem so I installed it anyway. I gotta get down to the fire department to figure out where to get it charged/repaired (O-ring around the neck is leaking) Its a halon extuinguisher)

Here are the pics:

Old 05-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>I just installed the extuinguisher</strong><hr></blockquote>I do not think one metal bracket is sufficient. I would certainly feel safer with two.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:13 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

You mean 2 straps?
This is the mount that the PO had the extuinguisher installed with...although it was mounted in the passanger foot..drilled into the wooden piece that covers the DME & KLR.

It seems pretty solid in there...but I'll stop by stable energies sometime and pick up a 2 strap mount before my first DE (July).
Old 05-25-2002, 09:22 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adrial
was it difficult mounting the fire x ?
did the mounting bracket from stable fit without any mods ?
i hear you have to bend the seat adjustment on the rt side to properly fit the mount. my seat is not electric.
any word ?
v-tac
1987 951
Old 05-25-2002, 09:25 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

V-tach, Yup you do have to bend the handle to slide the seat forward and back. I had the seat out of the car so I stuck the handle in my vice and hit it.

See pics towards the middle of the thread to see what it looks like w/o the extuinguisher installed.

Other than that, no mods required to install the bracket. I removed the seat to do it, but I think it was doable with the seat still in the car (however I don't have huge hands).
Old 05-27-2002, 02:31 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adrial what size extinguisher is that? When you sit in the seat does it touch you legs at all? In the pic it looks like it would but that might just be the angle the pic was taken from.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2002, 03:52 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

If you sit normally, with your legs at least partially extended...then no my legs don't hit the extuinguisher. It's a 2.5lbs halon.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:20 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Adrial:
Is the extinguisher resting on the floor, or is it in mid-air? If it's elevated, does it bounce alot?

Again: my suggestion is for you to flip the mount (the right way), so that at autox and the track, the extinguisher will be resting on the floor a little, to keep it more stable. Yeah, it makes moving the seat forwards a little more difficult, but it's not that bad.

Glad to hear the bucking stopped!

How'd you fare with autox with M-club this weekend?

-Z.

Quick Reply: fire x'gsher