Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about my new '89 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM
jplyman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my new '89 944 NA

Okay - I just got my new '89 NA from a good friend of mine in Toronto on Friday and had a great bonding experience driving her home to Atlanta.

The good part is this was his daily driver for 13 years and had to have the engine completely rebuilt in 2001 and 50,000 miles with new everything. Here are my questions:

1. I'm planning on getting the timing belt changed in the next two weeks
2. Should I worry about the water pump?
3. The right motor mount is also broken - need to get that replaced and want to do that at the same time
4. Also, the radiator has a leak - would like to wait till the spring to fix that (have to replenish the funds)

Thank you all for your insight
Old 12-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the water pump while your at it!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get a radiator from paragon products. You can get nice new ones there at a good deal but good luck finding the correct model. You should probably just call them. The problem with using a leaky radiator is that you end up flashing all of your coolant and then the car overheats and causes bigger problems.
http://www.paragon-products.com

Go ahead and get the water pump knocked out while you do the belts and rollers too.
This is the best deal I've found on that:
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...ingsystem-9442

I would treat the motor mount as a separate job. You don't save any time doing it at the same time as the belts because to do the belts all you do is take the radiator fan and belt covers off. Also if it's the passenger's side motor mount, you're probably leaking some sort of fluid, which ruined it.

The motor mounts are pricey. Get the other stuff fixed first.

Welcome to the white 89 club. Is yours an 8 valve, a turbo, an s2?

www.paragon-products.com
Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 PM
jplyman
Intermediate

Thank you for your help - how long can I wait on the motor mount?

My baby is a 8 valve - very well maintained and only the 4th owner - already put 700 in to her to get her ready to bring into the US.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 PM
TheMirror
Instructor

Spot-on info from knfeparty, I'd only add one thing. These cars (like my 968) are very much "while you're in there" maintenence intensive, so consider doing both engine mounts at the same time...even if the other one appears to be good. This is budget-willing of course. Additionally, be sure to get the upgraded 944 Turbo style motor mount, although I think that's all they sell these days. Best to double check though.

-Mirror
Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM
TheMirror
Instructor

Originally Posted by jplyman
Thank you for your help - how long can I wait on the motor mount?
Its generally not a "right now" type of repair, but all-in-all its not an optimal thing for an engine and all its ancillaries to endure excessive vibration. Thus, plan it for soon, but you can still drive it in the meantime.....unless it shakes so bad that its scary.

Trust me, the shaking at idle will likely drive you crazy in short order, which will be extra incentive to get it done soon.

Congrats on the purchase, I've always had a soft spot for the '89 2.7s.

Cheers,
-Mirror
Old 12-08-2008, 11:54 PM
TheMirror
Instructor

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Also if it's the passenger's side motor mount, you're probably leaking some sort of fluid, which ruined it.
Indeed, with that in mind, be sure to have your mechanic to eyeball your power-steering rack and pump very closely for any leaks. That fluid will ruin everything it comes in contact with, for example the front passenger sway bar bushing.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

My car has shook me for 2 years now and I hardly notice it. If I ever get around to fixing it, it will probably be shocking when I sit in the car and the windows don't rattle below 1200 rpms. I feel that it adds to the "race car" aura of my vehicle. And, coupled with the warmth radiating from the clogged catalytic converter, it puts my girlfriend to sleep instantly.

Oh yeah and Porsche motor mounts are like $200.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 AM
jplyman
Intermediate

Thank you all for your input - want to keep her running.... It is the power steering pump I think that would be why I had to replace the ball joint before I drove her from Toronto.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Don't worry, the power steering pump rebuild/reseal is easy.

http://www.rennbay.com/pump-944-powe...-kit-p-88.html
Old 12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely agree. Put off the radiator and you risk much larger and more expensive problems, but depends on where and how bad the leak is versus the risk your willing to take and how much you need to drive the car. (Completely replaced the coolant system in mine after head gasket blew. I know)

Water pump and timing belt together now if you can afford. Otherwise, timing belt ASAP because another failure non of us can tolerate.

Motor mount whenever based on how bad. Both mine need replacing and I'm just now getting to it after 3 years. Other things may/will take priority. Things you don't even know about yet.
Congrats!
MM
Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 PM
jplyman
Intermediate

Ahh.. it is the old limited resource problem. I have about 1500 set aside for her but was not expecting the 700 bill I got in Canada before I brought her home. My thought was that after reading some other post at Clarks Garage I could do the radiator repair this spring (when it warms up). The mechanic in Toronto is the one that noted the leaky radiator. She is the third car at our house and would likely be driven a couple hundred miles a week.

Quick question ball park how much am I looking at to repair and replace Water Pump and Timing belt - and then how much on the radiator.

Thank you all for your help
Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jplyman
Ahh.. it is the old limited resource problem. I have about 1500 set aside for her but was not expecting the 700 bill I got in Canada before I brought her home. My thought was that after reading some other post at Clarks Garage I could do the radiator repair this spring (when it warms up). The mechanic in Toronto is the one that noted the leaky radiator. She is the third car at our house and would likely be driven a couple hundred miles a week.

Quick question ball park how much am I looking at to repair and replace Water Pump and Timing belt - and then how much on the radiator.

Thank you all for your help

$650 all parts included, but then there is

$139.95 for the tools necessary to do the job right,

I am also considering the oil pump, PS reseal, PS Rack reseal, cam tower reseal, and oil pn reseal while I am in there.... But that is just me... water pump is dead, so it takes priority ordering it this week if I get paid, or next week... whenever....
Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Consider another $1,000 in labor to have a shop do the job if you don't do it yourself.

I just had both my 944's have the timing belt, balance shaft belt, all the rollers, water pump ect. One was in the shop getting the job done and that was a its time to do this now. While the other had the timing belt break while driving and also cause bent valves, so that one also needed a new head.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:13 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Belts are top priority, make sure everything relating to it is in good shape. 2.7 valves are expensive compared to the 2.5s.

Quick Reply: Question about my new '89 944 NA