Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes oil to leak from bottom of belt covers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 09:33 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
Lightbulb What causes oil to leak from bottom of belt covers?

As posted a little while ago, I have a nice oil leak through the bottom of the belt covers. Some oil is noticeable between the rear belt cover and engine block as well, but most of it is leaking from between the belt covers.

This happened right after a timing belt retension, so my questions are:

1) Will a loose Camshaft Belt Tensioner Bolt allow oil to leak INSIDE of the belt covers?

2) If the oil pump sleeve leaks, will the oil leak Inside the belt covers or between the rear cover and engine block?

3) Does the oil pump need to be removed to R & R the sleeve and front crank seal?

If the answer to #1 is Yes, then I'm going to ask the Mechanic to repair everything for free, since he retensioned the belts and this happened right after it.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-24-2002, 09:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There are 6 places you can have an oil leak in the front of the engine. They are as follows

1) Oil Pump Seal (Between pump & block)
1a) Oil Pan Gasket
2) Oil Pump Sleeve Seal
3) Upper Balance Shaft Support O-Ring (This is the O-ring that seals the support housing to the block
4) Upper Blance Shaft Seal Ring
5) Lower Balance Shaft Support O-Ring (This is the O-ring that seals the support housing to the block
6) Lower Balance Shaft Seal Ring

Now I figure only 2,4 & 6 Can produce oil in between the belt covers. Leaks at 1,3,5 will cause oil between the block and the belt covers.

Seems to me like a balance shaft seal leak.

To answer your questions
1) = NO..... These tensioner pulley bolts are not near oil areas. The balance shaft pully bolts should not be related to oil leakage

2) Could be both!

3) No it does not. At least I don't think so, but the seals are tight and I don't know how to get them out with the pump still on the engine, but It may be possible for a good tech. The problem is that when I did mine last weekend on my engine rebuild I had the pump off. I had to pound the seal out to free it. I might be possible to do this with the oil pump still on.

Quick Reply: What causes oil to leak from bottom of belt covers?