Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sewer Lids vs D90

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Bake cooling shouldn't be much of an issue during an autocross right? I'd think that's more for a higher speed track.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Sewer lids are forged wheels. The club sport wheels are the sewer lids with larger cutouts. I have heard of people cutting out the extra material from sewer lids to get them like club sports.

The D90's are a cast wheel.

IMHO the downside to sewer lids on the track is two fold.
1) limited cooling due to so much wheel? I am guessing here...

2) limited hand hold and vision to line up the studs. My race car sees wheel changes 2-3 times were weekend so it is really nice to be able to qucikly see the studs and be able to grab the center of the wheel to hold it.
For #2, the first time I put my wheels on in a dim area it was a bitch and a half to do, but you find the trick is to just remember where one stud is, loop the wheel on that stud and rotate it to find the others, then they go on in a couple seconds, even in pitch black.

As for holding the wheel it is super simple since the sections between the vents are so narrow.

The back side of the wheels are sort of radially ribbed, so I would imagine it acts like a giant fan forcing air out the slots, and the wheels should vent very well. (I'm no engineer so don't hold me to this, that is just how it works in my head)
Old 11-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Guys, reality check. A 928 is a Porsche and Dr. Porsche said many a time that any car with his name on it is a race car. Hence, i would venture to guess the 928 sewer lids offer enough cooling for a much heavier 928 so they should be more than sufficient for the uber light uber agile 944 that has a motor with only half weight of the much heavier 928 motor to slow down before a turn.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:08 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Guys, reality check. A 928 is a Porsche and Dr. Porsche said many a time that any car with his name on it is a race car.
I agree! Until the Cayenne and Panamera.

The manhole wheels are forged and lightweight. If you're skilled with an angle grinder you can even cut open the slots to make them like club sports - a lister did that once.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The thing about cooling is hot air extraction.

I have cooling ducts that bring the air into the rotor and that gets extracted at the wheel. No/limited extraction point and the air does not flow.

Still I don't know the numbers involved so they might be fine.

Also I set of BBS style basket weave wheels that came on my 944. Back in the autocross days I ran these and still do for storing the car. It is MUCH harder to get the wheel on and fine a stud with them as compared to the cookie cutters. The reason? I can't look through the wheel to find the stud as easily. Try taking tires on/off the car 3 times in one day and you will get tired of trying to line them up and missing. Heck that happens even in the dark with my cookies and I hate it.

When you race and have lots of minor work to do that is repetitive you want to find easier ways to do it. I have an electric drill I used to spin the nuts off the studs since doing it by hand takes for ever. That was a time saver that is well worth it. I also have marks on the side of the car to tell me where the jack point is. That is handy so I don't need to look for it each time I pull the jack out. I also have a dedicated 19mm socket and extentsion just for wheels. This again makes it faster loosen and torque the wheels. BTW... my torque wrench is never set (always loose) since leaving them set can slowly wear them down.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

i have a piece of red tape on my four way lug at the 3/4.

I hear ya Joe about saving time.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:48 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sewer lids are indeed forged wheels and are pretty much identical to the 944 club sports, but with a smaller vent hole. I can't speak to cooling, but I can tell you that my club sport wheels are noticeably lighter than my phone dials. When I switch wheel sets, the difference is obvious. For my money, I'd go for the sewer lids and polish them.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:21 AM
LI Steve
Rennlist Member

I have a set of the 'sewer lids' (I thought they were called "Flatdish") in my garage - they are 16x8 and weigh 24lbs. each without tires.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LI Steve
I have a set of the 'sewer lids' (I thought they were called "Flatdish") in my garage - they are 16x8 and weigh 24lbs. each without tires.

Are they for sale?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
LI Steve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsaindc
Are they for sale?
Sorry - just sold them a couple days ago. They were posted last week in the rennlist member for sale section...

I think there was someone else there who had a set as well, but I would just be careful of the offsets on these if you're using them on the 944 - they're a high-offset and I have no idea if they will bolt up to the S2 without spacers.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

Hello! I think I met you briefly at the tech inspection for the PCA Potomac Autocross #7. My 944S had a loose screw on the spark plug wire holder... I came in dead last for the times that day but I can't wait till they start again Spring 09!!!

Anyway, here's some 944 wheel weights. Go to

http://www.944racing.de/

then click

Felgengewichte (under "Informationen")

and then you can convert it to English if you want.

The 8x16 Fuchs sewer lids ("Gullydeckel") weigh the same as the 8x16 Phone Dials, which is 20 lbs or so, which in my opinion is pretty lightweight for a "stock" wheel in that size.

Sewer lid aesthetics... well, that's up to you
Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LI Steve
I think there was someone else there who had a set as well, but I would just be careful of the offsets on these if you're using them on the 944 - they're a high-offset and I have no idea if they will bolt up to the S2 without spacers.
Steve, the set I was looking at seemed to have a 52.3 offset all around. Did they make different offsets for these wheels?

Originally Posted by rmconner80
Hello! I think I met you briefly at the tech inspection for the PCA Potomac Autocross #7. My 944S had a loose screw on the spark plug wire holder... I came in dead last for the times that day but I can't wait till they start again Spring 09!!!

Anyway, here's some 944 wheel weights. Go to

http://www.944racing.de/

then click

Felgengewichte (under "Informationen")

and then you can convert it to English if you want.

The 8x16 Fuchs sewer lids ("Gullydeckel") weigh the same as the 8x16 Phone Dials, which is 20 lbs or so, which in my opinion is pretty lightweight for a "stock" wheel in that size.

Sewer lid aesthetics... well, that's up to you

Thanks for the info, I will have to check it out. That was me at Tech. Glad you had a good time. I started off the year doing well, I then updated my suspension and have been getting faster; however, so has everyone else and the seem to be doing it a little faster than me. I am going to pick up a spare set of wheels to run some R compounds. Most of the 944 guys are already running them since we have no stock class. At least that is what I am blaming the difference in time on. I don't care for the looks of the sewer lids but if they are light and the right offset then they will be fine for me for autocrossing. Hope to see you at some events.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
LI Steve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsaindc
Steve, the set I was looking at seemed to have a 52.3 offset all around. Did they make different offsets for these wheels?
I believe the stock 7" version off of the 928s are ET 65 and the 8" version are ET 52.3.

http://www.928registry.org/928-wheels-S4-flat-disc.htm
Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
which sewer lids? if they are the ones that look like D90s but have the indentation around the cutouts they are 951S rims and are forged and worth more than some running 944s.

if they are the 928 rims i cant help you.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

Comparing Club Sports to sewer lids should be a crime in all 57 states!

Quick Reply: Sewer Lids vs D90