Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler: 1 pair of Momo RS-GT seats and brackets potentially FS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Feeler: 1 pair of Momo RS-GT seats and brackets potentially FS

I've had my Momo RS-GT seats for almost 2 years now, and while I've been very happy with them and kept them in great shape, I've lately been starting to think about replacing them. For a while I was thinking about replacing them with GT3 seats or maybe pole positions, but I recently found an opportunity to pick up a pair of Recaro Speed 5-pt compatible seats for a good price, that I'm very tempted to take, largely so I can get 5pt harnesses once I've saved up enough for a rollbar (my goal is getting the car out to DE's and auto-x events properly). If I bought the Recaros, I wouldn't really have a need for the Momo seats (and I'd like to offset the cost of the Recaros), so....would anybody be interested in a pair of mint condition Momo seats, brackets and sliders (and probably all hardware too) for $700 + shipping. I'll even deliver anywhere in the tri-state/New England area. Pictures are below, please feel free to PM or email me if you're interested. Just to reiterate, this is still a bit tentative as I won't be able to sell the seats if I don't replace them and I haven't done that yet.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:05 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

by the way, the seats alone were $600 new (and that was on sale!) Brackets and sliders were $400, plus installation, which involved some adjustments to get the seat lower for extra headroom. All told, I think I have around $1400 in these seats. I would just be looking for enough to cover the cost of new seats, $700 + shipping (or I can deliver). Thanks for reading!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
vro944om
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would love some momo seats if i had some cash to throw around, dang.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

yeah...they are great seats. If you can't tell, I'm still a bit conflicted about switching to the Recaros. I like that the Recaros have 5pt capability, but the Momo's are really nice seats, so its tough to part iwth them...
Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, you can run 6-pts with those seats. I have basically the same seats (but they recline) and run the 6-pt harness parachute style. I asked for the general consensus on the Racer's forum and everyone basically said it was an acceptable way to setup the harnesses. It has passed tech this way from a few different independent shops also.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

hmm...interesting, I thought I had read somewhere saying that 6pts weren't ok to run like that. Thanks

Also, these seats actually recline, but don't have the "pop forward" feature so I can't get into the back seats (big loss, I know)
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

six points are not supposed to go through the bottom of the seat.

six points are supposed to come around from the back and cradle the legs. the noise is where the six points mount. each club has different rules. i saw totally illegal harnesses run with some clubs this summer and pass tech.

Jon, I think i saw at least one of the five point sub belts in my garage. if i find them i will put them aside where i will remember where they are in case you want them.

Ive driven in the Momos in Jons car and also driven in Recaro SRDs. The big thing is the height of the seat. The Momos in Jons car were too low for my legs, as were the Recaros until i got different brackets.

if you have the wedge bases and height adustable brackets, the setup is basically the same as my recaros, i dont think you will know the difference. i think the recaro is a little tighter as in made for a skinnier guy than the momo.

just a little first butt experience to help you.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My region just instituted a rule on seats/harnesses that rules out seats like this. Basically, four point harnesses are not acceptable. So I would either need a sub-belt or the six-point setup Tom references. It's really not clear what is a kosher 6 point setup, though.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
My region just instituted a rule on seats/harnesses that rules out seats like this. Basically, four point harnesses are not acceptable. So I would either need a sub-belt or the six-point setup Tom references. It's really not clear what is a kosher 6 point setup, though.
four points have been illegal in NY since 05 or 06. the big question is where the fith or sixth points - or anti submarine belt mount to.

from what ive read, the belts are supposed to anchor to the car, so the point where the factory belt mounts on the outside is OK for the sub and hip, and where the belt receptacle was on pre 85.5 cars on the transmission hump would bo OK too.

then the seat is mounted to the floor with no tension from the belts on it.

ive seen some people run a sub through the seat on a five point and the sub was mounted to the wedge adapter instead of being drilled through the floor.

that may be legal or should i say not cited for DE but probably not a good idea for a club race where i bet the scrutiny is much stiffer.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Check this thread about for 6-pt mounting.

Tom, if you find the 5-pt sub belts let me know. I eventually may put a fixed back seat (probably a Pole Position) and it would be nice to have them so i dont need to buy new ones.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Check this thread about for 6-pt mounting.

Tom, if you find the 5-pt sub belts let me know. I eventually may put a fixed back seat (probably a Pole Position) and it would be nice to have them so i dont need to buy new ones.
im almost positive i know where one is. when i find it i will pm you fo ryour address. of course you will be at sea.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Tom - thanks for the insight into the seat comparison. THat's interesting that you say that the Momo's were too low for you - I have Wedge brackets and Momo slidersand actually find the seats if anything a tad high for my preference (but then again, I like sitting low).

Jon - could you post that link again please? I couldn't find it in your post. Thanks
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Whoops, forgot to add the link..

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/458714-opinions-on-my-harness-setup.html

I actually find also the Momo seats put me up a bit higher in the car. Lower than factory seats, but still higher than all of the Recaro SRD and Speed seats i have sat in mounted in 951's. I also like sitting low, but its sometimes a pain in the *** when going into NYC or the Bronx where the roads are pretty crappy, im usually hovering over the wheel looking for stuff to avoid with the front end 3-inches off the ground. I used to have a Sparco Pro2000 and i was literally sitting on the floor.. loved it on the track, but a little excessive for a street car. I could barely see the top of the headlights in the up position.

I think most Recaro seats do not need the base adapters, which make you sit a little lower.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by white924s
Tom - thanks for the insight into the seat comparison. THat's interesting that you say that the Momo's were too low for you - I have Wedge brackets and Momo slidersand actually find the seats if anything a tad high for my preference (but then again, I like sitting low).

Jon - could you post that link again please? I couldn't find it in your post. Thanks
on a long drive i felt it in the back of my thigh. whats that the hamstring?

if i stretched me legs straight i couldnt reach the wheel. because the seat was lower than the factory which i kept on the lower setting there was a gap between teh seat and the back of my leg. after a while it got to me.

one morning i drove Jon's turbo to pocono, when filling up i swapped cars with Dan and the recaros in his turbo were higher and i felt the support on my hamstring. i thought it was the seats. when i sold jon the car i included the seats thinking the recaros would be better.

well, two weeks later Jon finds a set of recaros for me and i buy them. i install them in the S2 and head off to watkins. about two hours into the trip same cramp in teh leg. at the track i sat in Zoltan's S2 that had the same recaro with the height adjustable track on the passenger side. thats when i learned it wasnt the seat but the tracks/sliders. $400 later i got the wedge brackets and height adjustable sliders.

the recaros have the wedge bracket and the height adjustable sliders which lift it up an inch and a half or so.

the momos are probably the same quality as the recaros. how much you wanna bet they came from the same factory.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

hmm...Tom if you don't mind, do you have any pictures of how you had the seats mounted? I'd be curious to see just to compare because my experience with the Momo's has been very different. I have taken my car on a few long trips (4 hours or more driving) and I don't think I've ever really felt cramps in that part of my leg. If anything, I wouldn't mind sitting a little lower in the car, and it sounds like the Recaros might offer that (bc they don't need a bracket, which is about 3/4-1" on the Momo's)

Quick Reply: Feeler: 1 pair of Momo RS-GT seats and brackets potentially FS