Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 944 Track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 PM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was filmed by a Scottish pal (Haggis) who was driving behind me. He knocked up a little clip of the tank slapper http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=Porka944.flv
yes, I know about the blue smoke... the car came with a good spare engine soon to be fitted

Jarko, I completely agree with the ethos of braking on track being worth it's weight in gold. I go to the Goodwood revival every year and watch the little lotus's, Hillman's and Cortina's battling with the big jag's, AC Cobras, and Mustangs. Its great to watch because on every straight the big metal overtakes with raw power, but on every corner the lighter cars outbrake the heavy boys.

The standard brakes on the 944 are pretty good. I boiled the fluid towards the end of the day the last time out, but a good flush and with some higher spec fluid and I'm hoping not to do that again.
I hadnt flushed the fluid since buying the car so it was probably pretty grotty.
Before I boiled the fluid and everything went spongy, the brakes were holding up really well. I could do a 20 lap stint (Knockhill racetrack, Scotland) and still be locking up the fronts if I stamped on it too hard into the corners. There wasn't any fade worth mentioning.

I'm guessing though (and hoping too), that as I sort improve the handling and gain more track experience myself, I'll become quicker, and that might mean the brakes may not be up to the increased pace, but for now I think so long as they are kept in tip top condition, I might be Ok. having said that, I was sipping an after work pint earlier and a pal phoned and said he was upgrading his Boxter S's brakes and therefore selling the originals (callipers and disks) and I've spent all evening wondering about sticking those on my 911 and sticking the 911 brakes on the 944 No idea what work is involved though... will look into that in my lunchbreak tomorrow probably just a pipe dream but you know what it's like with a drink in your hand and a head full of Porsche

Peter, I'm with you on the lightening, and the interior could be sold to fund more performance upgrades. However the car is actually in such great shape inside, I'm loath to do it... yet
Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
ilikepinkcrayons
Intermediate

Those back seats are useless though. If you are really attatched to it, you could put compartments back there (I don't remember which car had them, but they are really nice cubby holes)...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Peter Empson
Advanced

I used to use a 968 CS rear seat delete on my car, it kept it quiet and saved a fair amount of weight, don't forget to take out the spare and boot carpet too, there's an easy 30-40kg saving to be made there.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:55 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

yeah, the front seats weigh a ton too, in comparison to aftermarket buckets.

great website Peter!

are the standard ARB's 27mm front 18mm rear? or are they smaller than that?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 AM
joonas
Racer

Keep oil level at max mark and use good higher viscosity engine oil (20W50 20W60) for track othervise rod comes knockin soon. It would be good idea to start thinking about external oil cooler.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Peter Empson
Advanced

Originally Posted by nicklouse10
yeah, the front seats weigh a ton too, in comparison to aftermarket buckets.

great website Peter!

are the standard ARB's 27mm front 18mm rear? or are they smaller than that?
I can't remember the arb sizes I'm afraid, it was a long time ago when I was making changes but 18mm was the thickest standard rear bar (with the exception of the 968 M030 ones etc). From memory there were two sizes of front arb's on the turbos, the later ones had the thicker bars (not sure if this coincides with the 250T models introduction). I used this combination for ages and it worked really well and only cost about £50!

Glad you liked the website

Quick Reply: My 944 Track car