Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take this car away from me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c5's are probably the best deal in the performance market right now, and that's saying allot. I saw a few nice ones around 10k recently.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:39 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quality vs. quantity. I think if you really know how to drive you will miss the flexibility of the Porsche. The c5 has little drivability. Don't get me wrong but you will have to flog the crap out of a vette to get the numbers you are talking about and I think you will find that it is more fragile than a turbo. I have seen stage 3 951s with 200k and never a problem with years of track use. I know the numbers are attractive, but you'll find that drivability will be an issue if you really know how to get the most out of the car.
Have you done any track events?
If not, I strongly reccomend this. After many years in the biz, I can tell you that the biggest mod you can make to any car is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
And I know you have heard this before but KEEP IT ON THE TRACK. Don't be the guy that smokes 'um at every stop light.

I would hesitate to put 500 horses in the hands of someone who thinks they can smoke the tires at 120mph. You won't be able to in the car you want anyway - and I am afraid you would try.
Look for a 911sc and take your time developing a 3.2 ltr CIS injected air cooler. Tune the suspension and by all means start your track career right now doing driver-eds with PCA. You will have the time of your life and the girls you pick up will be of much higher quality.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

I think you hit a key word whalebird. "Women!!" I have driven two autocross events, but never a track event. For now I use my dad's 928, seeing as he uses his lotus elise. I do plan to run the corvette at the race track, but I kind of want a quarter mile car. I do not race stoplight to stoplight, that is a good way to get in trouble. I am not opposed to street racing, but you must be very careful where you do it. Ill take your thoughts into consideration, you made some good points.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's got his heart set on a Corvette and has a good plan to get one. He wants to go straight line and has a good plan on how to do it in a short ET. Good for you, Catfood. I think we're all just a little bummed that a guy who clearly knows his 944s and knows how to care for them is getting rid of his.

This thread has got me looking at C5s and C6s on the road. I like them both, as well as the pre-73s. Have fun!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:11 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for not taking offence to my post. I highly encourage you to do some track time - whatever you get. I have had so many z06s blow by me on the track its not even funny. Its where you learn how to drive. I think the more you learn on the track the more opposed to street racing you will become.
A 944 n/a is a great track car. its not all motor, you will be a lot faster if you learn how to drive a chassis car. You learn to be smooth and carry momentum. Put that into 500hp on the track and you will be wicked fast. Just don't do it on the street. Please God don't do it on the street.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

23 hours and 17 minutes left. Somebody buy my car and donate to the Catfood corvette fund!!! Ill even fill up the dang gas tank for you!!!

I still have my brothers 8V 944 to drive. So Im not completely 944less.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Equilibria
Advanced

I might be interested in this, I understand there's less than a day remaining but figured I'd ask some questions. Any other "upgrades" aside from the Autothority chip?

I've been a rennlist reader for quite some time, but first post. Owned a 87 944S for a little over a year before it got banged up 3 months ago and was just not worth saving (all parts are in good shape, but the body is shot (mainly the hood, which sits 2" to the left of normal, and dragged the fenders and bumper with it) so I'd have an entire car of spare parts. I have upgraded shocks/springs and some other parts and would be interested in knowing whats on the car in more detail.

I'm located in Vancouver BC Canada, so would have to take a trip (10 hours) down but its reasonable.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:54 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

thats a major step from 944 to c5, but if you ever feel nostalgic, the 944 forum is here and you have your brothers 944 to get your quick fix.

i just hope that your 944 is going to a good owner who will take care of her, change her oil, bathe her, and to gently shift thru all the gears and to not hold the clutch too hard and ...... (i can go on and on and on lol)
Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

The car is bone stock besides the autothority chip. I have the original chip if the buyer is interested. I have replaced the clutch with a sachs and boge. Pressure plate, pilot bearing and throwout bearing were all replaced. The tranny fluid was replaced and the CV joints still look great.

I rebuilt the head of the car about 6K miles ago, it has run perfect since then. The pistons had no scoring, I believe the car has had mobil 1 oil most of its life. The valves in the head were still in great shape, I replaced the cam tensioner which is a common failure item on these cars. I replaed the timing belt and all other supporting belts, as well as the rollers. In the pictures its hard to see, but I have put high temperature paint on the cam cover, intake manifold, and the piece that the distributor cap sits on.

I replaced the tires 6K miles ago, with Yokohama AVS ES100s. They are excellent tires. I replaced the pads and rotors all around when I bought the car. I have replaced the brake system with super blue racing fluid, which is pretty much the best you can buy for these cars.

The interior alone is worth the price. I have a perfect dash with no cracks, sports seats all around. With the porsche script. The door handles are porsche script as well.

The floor mats are in good shape, I have all 4 with the porsche insignia on them. I replaced the shifter boot with a leather one from Rennbay.

The CD player is an expensive Blaupunkt that the previous owner purchased. Both CDs and radio work perfect.

I change the oil every 3K miles, I always warm it up properly and I get 25 mpg in the city or on the highway. I consistently get over 400 miles on a full tank of gas. 20 gallon tank.

The car is set up to drive and drive and drive. The next step for me would be to change my bushings on it and the shocks, seeing as they are old. Other than that I have no issues with the car.

The reserve is $2500 on the car, I would like $3000. But I want my winter beater in the garage before winter sets in because I hate scrapping windows in the morning.

Parting the car out would net at least 4K. I just dont have the heart to take everything apart that I put together. Any other questions just ask. If you want to see some more pictures or message me my email is dean.reid@oit.edu
Old 11-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

1 hour left people, get busy.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GloriaRedStang
Enjoy all the plastic and shoddy build quality. Enjoy all the guys with handlebar mustaches and male pattern baldness at the Corvette Rallys, wearing shiny nylon checkered flag jackets. Enjoy getting your car mixed up with any other C5 in (take your pick) yellow/red/black/silver, and even if you don't you'll see your car coming and going on either side of the interstate. The guy with the plaid rally cap inside will wave at you! Finally, enjoy dragracing with all the mulletts. I've been down that quarter-mile road in a 427, and it's fun for about 13 seconds. In a C5 pulling 550, you're top of the heap amongst the Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs. Congratulations.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm not trying to insult you or your future car. Corvettes are nice with lots of hp but be sure you know what you're getting into. Bookmark this thread and visit it in a year.
LOL, I've met sketchy Porsche owners in my half decade of having one, and I've certainly seen enough other 944s and 911s on the road.

There are good and less-than-good people in Porsche, BMW, Corvette, you-name-it circles. Welcome to life.

I agree that you don't see many Corvettes with 200k on the odometer, but it's a great sports car in every other way.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

i looked at C5s and Zs when i bought my 951S a few months ago.

There is a lot of car for the money out there. I had a 04 GTO and loved the motor. Talk about build quality - the interior of that GTO put many a porsche, including the almighty 944 to shame.

i find amusing the mullet stereotype of vette drivers, the snob stereotype of new porsche owners, the poseur stereotype of bmw owners, and the lack of stereotype of 944 owners.

how bout defining the 944 owner stereotype? I say a real porsche owner wannabe with less than a real nissan budget.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

The car sold!!!! Bidding ended at $2930. I had been talking to the guy who placed the highest bid, and right when it ended he called me and offered me 3K. Hes coming to get it next week. Paying in cash and trailering it back in an enclosed trailer. Hes an older guy and he said he was gonna rebuild the motor and get it repainted. I wish I had that much money. So don't worry, my car is off to another enthusiast. And probably a better place. thanks everyone.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:29 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Catfood
The car sold!!!! Bidding ended at $2930. I had been talking to the guy who placed the highest bid, and right when it ended he called me and offered me 3K. Hes coming to get it next week. Paying in cash and trailering it back in an enclosed trailer. Hes an older guy and he said he was gonna rebuild the motor and get it repainted. I wish I had that much money. So don't worry, my car is off to another enthusiast. And probably a better place. thanks everyone.

thats really good, that is really something that you want to hear that the owner is another enthusiast and will be in a better place
Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom R.
i looked at C5s and Zs when i bought my 951S a few months ago.

There is a lot of car for the money out there. I had a 04 GTO and loved the motor. Talk about build quality - the interior of that GTO put many a porsche, including the almighty 944 to shame.

i find amusing the mullet stereotype of vette drivers, the snob stereotype of new porsche owners, the poseur stereotype of bmw owners, and the lack of stereotype of 944 owners.

how bout defining the 944 owner stereotype? I say a real porsche owner wannabe with less than a real nissan budget.
Congratulations on the sale, Catfood! Corvette here you come! Make sure you let the new owner know about Rennlist so we can follow the restoration process of your old car.

Actually, stereotyping owners is fun but fraught with error. My favorite is that all Volvo owners have beards.

Last edited by GloriaRedStang; 11-29-2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added text

Quick Reply: Take this car away from me!