Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera - Actual photos

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dig the idea of the concept. Just not the execution. WTF were they thinking with that rear end? WTF?

C.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
I LOVE 993's. I never liked the 996 as much & often wondered if it was really a much better/faster car...? I mean, straight line tests have them pretty even.
993s are amongst my favorites. The 1-yr only 1994 3.6-liter 964 Turbo is my favorite.

But as regards performance differences between the 993 and 996... the 996 is quicker. Believe it or not, a 3.4-liter 996 is lighter than a 993. And with the bump in HP, you have quicker acceleration times. Not a huge increase, but its there:

993 results - http://www.weissach.net/964-993_RoadTestSummary.html
996 results - http://www.weissach.net/996-997_RoadTestSummary.html

Also, Sportauto (well known German car magazine) has timed the 993 and the 996 at the 'Ring and got the following results:

993 - 8.28 min
996 - 8.17 min

Karl.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
I dig the idea of the concept. Just not the execution. WTF were they thinking with that rear end? WTF?

C.
Agreed wholeheartedly. The front clip, not so bad, but the rear especially by the c-pillar is a total mess.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

i wonder why a water cooled 996 is lighter than a 993, especially with the 996 being a little more dressed up interiorwise?

the air cooling stuff isnt that heavy is it?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:51 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I think porsche is becoming more and more like other car companies like bmw and mercedes, vw etc.

Intstead of just building pure sports cars now they're building rich soccer mom status symbols.

I don't like it but whatever.

It's a business and they want to increase their sales. Fact is there are a lot of people who can afford a porsche but have families etc and instead buy other status symbols like a Benz or BMW now they can buy a 4 door porsche to drive their kids to school in.

I'm sure the panamera is a great performance car and it's also not bad looking, not what I'd want but you can't say it's an ugly car, it's just not what a porsche should be.

I think porsches are not the same as they used to be anymore. After the end of the 993 and the new 996 porsches just keep on looking more like cheap mass produced status cars.

the carrera GT is the only good thing to have come out lately.

and why does everything look like a 911????

in the 80s the 928, 944, 911 all looked different. now everything is just a morphed 911.

can't wait till the new porsche minivan comes out. twin turbo v8 minivan with 600hp and 4 wheel drive. the new porschavan.

and what's with all these new gay names? Cayenne? cayman, panerama?

they should have stuck to numbers.
So because Porsche is appealing to different markets, giving there current customers an opportunity to drive a Porsche everyday, instead of just a weekend car thats a bad thing? Porsche has done some amazing things with the Cayenne, it IS a Porsche from my perspective, they took an SUV- something that by definition is supposed to be slow and handle like a pig and made it quick, and made it handle like its on rails THAT is a Porsche. Porsche isnt the fastest car on the road, or the cheapest/ most expensive, they arent the BEST at any one thing, but they are the BEST compromise of everything. And the names? they all still have number designations, well all except the 09 997 which is now 9A1 so it isnt even a 911 anymore.

Originally Posted by Marcquito
993 was the last great Porsche. Period.
You obviously havent driven one of there cars since 98... 993 was a great car, but the new cars are still GREAT cars...

Originally Posted by roman944
in a way I think it would be smarter for them to have an off-brand that was priced cheaper to compete with Japanese companies - kind of what 914/944 were in the 80's

I don't see why they are doing the SUV thing and this Sedan thing; they have been making great sports cars, so keep on doing that, make them more competitive, make models that are cheaper and can compete with imports

ofcourse by now a Porsche is a status symbol, so people will buy it just for the name (just like Rolex, Panerai, Ferrari etc.), and Porsche has made a good name for itself, so these things will sell easy

I don't think it's a good idea; they should let VW/Audi make SUV's and sedans, and keep working on sports cars

in a way they are doing things that the American Domestic manufacturers were, instead of bettering what's already good, creating projects that they don't need at all
You do realize that Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world right??? Cayenne is something like %50 of there sales, yes Porche is going into other areas but they are doing it and making money at it, and turning out an amazing product.

Originally Posted by ktel
Just a mathematical / logical approach is enough:

SUVs and 4-door cars are NOT sport cars => Porsches are sport cars => Cayenne is NOT a Porsche, Panamera is NOT a Porsche.
like somone else stated, 20 years ago "Porsche's werent water cooled" Or "Porsche's werent front engine" Porsche makes an amazing vehicleno matter what vehicle it is.

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Porsche could make a lot of money right now with a new "poor man's Porsche". There are a lot of poor men out there that are in a position to buy a new car. I heard a rumor that they wanted to adapt the A3 chassis and make a Porsche version. While I think the A3/golf is not a sports car frame, I think hatchbacks are really popular these days and a simplified spartan version with Porsche suspension and a vw engine would be a hit. Time for a 4-cyl model.

ktel, your logic is impeccable; you must be a Vulcan.
A poor man's Porsche?? What do you think a Boxster is?? comparing apples to apples a 944 was more expensive 20 years ago than a Boxster is now. And besides, they are about to own VW/Audi there is there lesser brand to compete with the cheaper cars.

Originally Posted by ilikepinkcrayons
I think that we are being a little prejudicial (and hypocrital) about the definition of a "Porsche"...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is really ugly too, as many of you do (and for those that think it's nice, i didn't like the Cayenne at first, but it grew on me, so to each their own). I think the proportions are very strange, but that's not my point.

Regarding what Porsche "does" and "does not" do, or "should" and "should not" do, they are a forward thinking company that is not affraid to take risks, think outside the box, or develope something that is surprising. To say that its not a Porsche because its a sedan or an SUV is like saying its not a Porsche because its not air cooled or its not a rear engine. Not a single one of us would look poorly on a 924 or its owner and say, "Nope, sorry, your not allowed on the cool kid bus," and from a parts standpoint, its only 1/2 Porsche.

In the seventies, Porsche "didn't" make V8's and inline fours. They "didn't" make front mounted water cooled engines. They "didn't" make cars that anyone could afford. We are all still chastized for being only "sort-of" Porsches, even though our 931's, 951's, 944S2's, 968's, and 928S4's smoke some 911. And here we are deciding what is and isn't a Porsche.

If it's designed to push the edge of performance, for whatever class it might be in, its a Porsche. But if it doesn't beat all BMW M5's out there, then we have the right to get pissed off!!!

Thank you!!!!

When i was in school 2 years ago, i had the same mentality, "What the Hell is Porsche doing making an SUV" till i drove one, then it made MORE sense, then 2 weekends ago i got to drive the current cars on Rockingham motor speedway!!! That was amazing, what was the MOST fun car to drive??? CAYENNE!!! It was a freaking blast, you had to be careful how hard you hit the brakes cause it would out break the Boxster behind it... to each his own, my Sales manager has seen the Panamera(SP?) in person and said the interior is VERY VERY nice.

Mark
Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a great concept.

Many business people have the BMW 740 type of luxury in addition to their P-Cars,
This just lets them have a luxury Porsche thats not an SUV

Would I drive one ??, well maybe if it was free
Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually kinda like it...it looks distinctive and broadens the brand.

In terms of whether or not to build a sedan, I think that there's no doubt that the market exists for a high performance luxury sedan (see BMW M5, MB's AMG sedans, Audi RS4, even Cadillac STS-V) and Porsche clearly has the engineering know-how and facilities to build a highly competitive product for that field. I just hope that the global economic slowdown doesn't drag down a car that has potential to be great, if controversial

In terms of the specific aesthetics, I like how much it picks up on sports car aesthetic cues, even the hatchback-ish rear end. I think that it visually puts more emphasis on the "sports car" than the "4 door" in the 4-door sports car field. Can't wait to see more details and reviews
Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

yuck..
Old 11-24-2008, 03:47 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The boxster is entry level but there are so many cheaper cars that perform equally and in many cases have similar build quality and reliability.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:24 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I like it except of course the rear end. A bit off when it comes to elegant proportions. You guys saying that they haven't made a good car in a while need to drive a new 997 with pdk.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

I'm with Chad. A Porsche Sport Sedan is not a non-starter in concept, but the fugly factor is strong in this one, Master Yoda. From 3/4 rear it resembles many of the unfortunate British "estate" or "shooting brace" variants....almost like the design team got caught half way between an old three-box sedan layout and a hatch back. As I think about it, the hatch is what kills this design, it's really not that bad from the b-pillar foward.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by marky522

You obviously havent driven one of there cars since 98... 993 was a great car, but the new cars are still GREAT cars...

Mark
I have driven every blasted one. I prefer 993.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM
DMB14
Racer

I gotta say, I like it better than the Cayenne...

The rear end looks gross, but I think this car fits better into the Porsche line-up than an SUV.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I like it. If they can make a cool SUV then why not this. I think it will be a big hit! I can't wait to see it.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcquito
I have driven every blasted one. I prefer 993.
Ok then your "Preference" and "Last Great Car" are two different things... So which is it???

Mark

Quick Reply: Panamera - Actual photos