Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera - Actual photos

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
the 993 turbo is my dream car.
That makes two of us!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:27 AM
bluedevil
Instructor

Well I will say this; at least I have one more option on a four door car for the kids. BMW is crap and don't get me started on Jap cars so that leaves Audi or VW which are not bad but when you want a Porsche nothing else will do.
I hear you all and I agree but for some reason I thought this would look worse but it does not look to bad. I will agree that Porsche is getting away from what it is great at to make a buck but with the way car companies are going it is either going to be Porsche or Honda.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

It is very difficult to believe this thing could look better in the flesh. Not good looking to me.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:04 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks terrible to me too, and I agree with Yummybud924 about it being a status symbol.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:41 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

993s are nice but I'll take a 968ts.

Porsche once claimed to only make sports cars. Porsche also has always embodied change and evolution. Well the current car world is changing towards hybrids, bastards, crossovers, transsexuals, and other mutant creations. Porsche is just keeping up with the times as usual. That said, I do believe the cayenne and panamera are distasteful and disgusting.

Porsche, upsetting purists since 1976.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 AM
ktel
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a mathematical / logical approach is enough:

SUVs and 4-door cars are NOT sport cars => Porsches are sport cars => Cayenne is NOT a Porsche, Panamera is NOT a Porsche.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I think porsche is becoming more and more like other car companies like bmw and mercedes, vw etc.

Intstead of just building pure sports cars now they're building rich soccer mom status symbols.

I don't like it but whatever.

It's a business and they want to increase their sales. Fact is there are a lot of people who can afford a porsche but have families etc and instead buy other status symbols like a Benz or BMW now they can buy a 4 door porsche to drive their kids to school in.

I'm sure the panamera is a great performance car and it's also not bad looking, not what I'd want but you can't say it's an ugly car, it's just not what a porsche should be.

I think porsches are not the same as they used to be anymore. After the end of the 993 and the new 996 porsches just keep on looking more like cheap mass produced status cars.

the carrera GT is the only good thing to have come out lately.

and why does everything look like a 911????

in the 80s the 928, 944, 911 all looked different. now everything is just a morphed 911.

can't wait till the new porsche minivan comes out. twin turbo v8 minivan with 600hp and 4 wheel drive. the new porschavan.

and what's with all these new gay names? Cayenne? cayman, panerama?

they should have stuck to numbers.

I think I agree w/every single thing you said here. Everything they do now seems to be semi-911-ish & the names annoy the hell out of me. Also, why make a 4-dr car a hatchback? That just doesn't look right to me. Also, excuse me if I'm being gullible here, but are they REALLY going to make a mini-van? Please tell me you're kidding...

I LOVE 993's. I never liked the 996 as much & often wondered if it was really a much better/faster car...? I mean, straight line tests have them pretty even. I've been in a 997 Carrera S & I really liked it. But I just wish they would concentrate on making 911's & such, several hundred pounds lighter. And maybe a little more reasonably priced, so I can get a used one a few years sooner I've also always secretly wished they would revive the 944/968 line, but after seeing this, I'm not so sure- especially if it's going to be called a "Transatlantic" or "Habanero" or something- whenever I hear "Cayenne," I either think of peppers or of Krusty's "Canyonero" from The Simpsons...

Last edited by Robby; 11-23-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

The Ferrari 612 is much better looking in person so maybe.... nah its fugly
Old 11-23-2008, 10:54 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Uh...no. I can see how you can say that they pull a lot of styling and design elements from the 997 series, but saying that they just "took a 911 and made it four doors" is pretty stupid.
ok so it's a little more complicated then just taking a 911 and making it a 4dr, but basically, that's what they did
Old 11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it looks like a wagon........ 2 doors FTW
Old 11-23-2008, 12:59 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Porsche could make a lot of money right now with a new "poor man's Porsche". There are a lot of poor men out there that are in a position to buy a new car. I heard a rumor that they wanted to adapt the A3 chassis and make a Porsche version. While I think the A3/golf is not a sports car frame, I think hatchbacks are really popular these days and a simplified spartan version with Porsche suspension and a vw engine would be a hit. Time for a 4-cyl model.

ktel, your logic is impeccable; you must be a Vulcan.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Put me down as having a much different opinion than most here. I think the car looks very good. Quite "Porsche" but I wouldn't say particularly "911" either.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I am going to be a contrarian here. I like it. It looks very different from anything else in it's class and it will no doubt be a fine car. Anything that is new is going to make people uncomfortable. The 911 caused an uproar among the 356 crowd when it was introduced. Some of them still have not accepted it. Of course the rest of the world loved it. I think Porsche has come to the realization that sports cars are too much of a niche market and they want to capture some of the wider market. The Cayanne has been a great commercial success. As long as they reinvest the profits into Carrera GT's and GT3's (and maybe a 944/968 successor!) I wish them well.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

i dont think its that bad. the back looks a little tall (or not long enough) but as a package its growing on me.

cant wait to see the v10 version FSU.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:17 PM
ilikepinkcrayons
Intermediate

I think that we are being a little prejudicial (and hypocrital) about the definition of a "Porsche"...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is really ugly too, as many of you do (and for those that think it's nice, i didn't like the Cayenne at first, but it grew on me, so to each their own). I think the proportions are very strange, but that's not my point.

Regarding what Porsche "does" and "does not" do, or "should" and "should not" do, they are a forward thinking company that is not affraid to take risks, think outside the box, or develope something that is surprising. To say that its not a Porsche because its a sedan or an SUV is like saying its not a Porsche because its not air cooled or its not a rear engine. Not a single one of us would look poorly on a 924 or its owner and say, "Nope, sorry, your not allowed on the cool kid bus," and from a parts standpoint, its only 1/2 Porsche.

In the seventies, Porsche "didn't" make V8's and inline fours. They "didn't" make front mounted water cooled engines. They "didn't" make cars that anyone could afford. We are all still chastized for being only "sort-of" Porsches, even though our 931's, 951's, 944S2's, 968's, and 928S4's smoke some 911. And here we are deciding what is and isn't a Porsche.

If it's designed to push the edge of performance, for whatever class it might be in, its a Porsche. But if it doesn't beat all BMW M5's out there, then we have the right to get pissed off!!!

Quick Reply: Panamera - Actual photos