Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weltmeister Harness Bar - Not just a guide bar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weltmeister Harness Bar - Not just a guide bar?

I'm looking at the Weltmeister harness bar for my 88 944. The ad images show it with harnesses directly anchored to it, and not just passed over it and anchored elsewhere. Is that correct?

The Brey Kraus version is called a "guide bar" which I assume means it does not anchor the harnesses(?).
Old 11-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Answered my own question.
Treat all harness bars as guide bars when achieving any speed.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...m/harness2.htm
Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea unless it's part of roll cage or yer only doing autox, i wouldn't wrap a harness around it.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To reach the seat belt mounting points, make sure you have (or order) extended shoulder harness belts. The standard belts are not long enough to reach all the way down there when going over a bar.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:01 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once bought a Weltmeister bar. Once I received it, there was no way I was trusting it with my life.

So I bought a Redline rollbar. Better. But now I have a full cage. The Redline rollbar is the only one I have seen that appears to be to be burly enough to take a decent hit and still hold up.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

harnesses are made to stretch a certain amount. the longer the harness, the more it will stretch.

Hence, the harness should be as short as possible. At least that's what i read.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Years ago (1995 I think, I raised this question with Weltmeister who answered that the harness should be attached to the bar. Longer straps stretch more and in addition subject the bar to greater force, root 2 or 1.4 times if you use it as a guide bar and achor the straps to a lower point behind the bar.

If you are concerned about the integrity of the bar, wear your three point oem seatbelt over it and life is good.

Best,
Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
To reach the seat belt mounting points, make sure you have (or order) extended shoulder harness belts. The standard belts are not long enough to reach all the way down there when going over a bar.
Where does everyone mount the belts when using a harness bar? Do they just go to the rear seat belt mounting points? I'm probably going to do something like this over the winter, so now I'm starting to pay attention to these things.

Also where does the submarine belt(s) get mounted to?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Let's make it even more interesting. How about this bar? It has the weltmeister mounting points, but also runs "legs" down to the lower seatbelt mounts. Tougher than the weltie, but tough enough to anchor the harness?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110312446172

PS: Schwank - did you sell that Redline bar?

Last edited by Potomac-Greg; 11-20-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PCA will not let you pass inspection w/ a guide bar used as a harness bar. You must have a multi point attachment bar such as that last one shown or a redline bar if you are attaching harnesses to it. Most guys will run the harness over the guide bar and attach the harnesses in the rear either through the body or to the rear seatbelt bolts.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Also where does the submarine belt(s) get mounted to?
go to the racing forum and do a search. chose the answer you like best. there are a bunch of opinions there.

then go to the PCA site and read their rules for what you want to do. I think DE and club race may have different rules. I do know when i was talking to pete tremper in jan 07 he said the sub holes in the seat had to be factory holes. dont know if that changed.

dont forget, four point harnesses are illegal, three five and six are OK. if using a five or six point harness the belts have to pass through the seat, so factory 944 seats should be illegal although ive seen people here run factory seats with jury rigged contraptions, and the same top tech guy send me back because my the envelope that contained my insurance card, registration, DE log book total weight less than two ounces of soft paper, and potential projectile spare DME were in the glove. but the cigarette lighter in the dash was OK.

Now I remember why i had a redline bar and factory belts. Much easier to be legal. safety first?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Let's make it even more interesting. How about this bar? It has the weltmeister mounting points, but also runs "legs" down to the lower seatbelt mounts. Tougher than the weltie, but tough enough to anchor the harness?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110312446172

PS: Schwank - did you sell that Redline bar?
Nope, still chillin in my attic. It's available but Wipeout has first refusal. We haven't really been making any effort to get rid of it so... LMK if you are interested.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the weltmiester harness bar mount on the c pillars? I could have sworn that is where mine mounted... Of course after I bought mine the only thing I trusted it with was a mount for my video camera.

Quick Reply: Weltmeister Harness Bar - Not just a guide bar?