Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Short

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Window Short

I don't know how many of you remember me, I used to hang out here before I got a job... I don't get much time to check the board now but I need a little help.

I took my interior door panel off the driver's door yesterday to grease the window regulator mechanisms (the power windows had been going REALLY slow) and to fix the driver's door lock (someone finally broke into my car, I haven't been able to lock it for a year). Fixed the lock in about 20 minutes, greased the window stuff, put the door back together. Windows wouldn't close. Took the switches out, cleaned em, still no good. Check the fuses, and I've burned out #8 (counting from the left to right, 84 944). Throw a new fuse in and it blows again. Now I'm thinking I'll just jumper the fuse to get the windows closed and worry about fixing it later, since it was like 11:30 and I had to be at work early in the morning. I throw a short length of 12 gauge copper wire across, turn the key and it starts smoking and melting. So I have a serious short somewhere.

My question is, where do I start looking? All I did was take the door apart and put it back together. What should I unplug? Any continuity tests I should do? Please help, I don't have a covered parking spot and am living in fear of rain!
Old 06-03-2002, 12:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a break inside that rubber accordian tube the connects the door and the door jam but I would start looking inside the door because that is where you were messing around.

Pull the leads to the motor and see if you get 12 volts to them without shorting out a new fuse. Then check if you have jammed up the regulator & motor - that would blow your fuses with the motor trying to work but is stuck.

You also better look to see if you melted your wires with that 12 gauge jumper trick. I think all that wiring is lighter than 12 gauge so there is a fair chance that the OEM insulation got a good cooking.

Quick Reply: Window Short