Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Timing Belt Failure - But All is Well

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Porsches are engineered to push the performance envelope.

That comes with a price. ANY car that's 20-25 years old will require a lot of maintenance. Any performance car will require more.

You should see what repair bills are on a 20 year old Ferrari Testarossa. It would be cheaper to just buy another 944 every month.

common now, a ferrari with a mid mounted v12 engine is a little different than a 944 na 4 banger. This car is not not much different in performance than a nissan 240sx except that everything costs 10 times more.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:02 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero10
A machine shop should take 1-2 days, and you may want to ask 944online about what happens to the core charge when they find bent valves. You may not get the full core charge back.

$600 is pretty steep for a head rebuild. Typically machine shops will charge $30-$50 per valve, and ~$150 for a full head rebuild (including guides and seals), so in my $300 estimate that is 3-5 bent valves (Depending on pricing).

It's your car and if you are in a rush then take the quick route, but I'd still suggest calling some machine shops. Maybe the pricing down there is totally different and my advice is irrelevant.
Thanks Zero, I have taken your advise. Luckily there is arguably the best Porsche cylinder head machine shop in the country where I live and they will look at the head and quote me. Xtreme Cylinder Heads, FL
Old 11-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Weren't you the same person that in another thread you were arguing with me when I said these aren't daily driver cars due to their old age and parts availability issues? Remember that conversation? You said something like washing and waxing and changing the oil were all that was needed or something like that?

Hmm.

They grow up so fast.

lol I never said washing and waxing it was all that was needed..

I've had my car for 3 years now so I know maintenance is expensive. The first thing I did when I bought my car 3 years ago was change all the belts, rollers, water pump and front engine oil seals before I even started driving it, and the pervious owner had told me the belts were already done.

and now I have to do the belts again soon.

but when I tell people i have to change my timing belt every 3 years they are shocked. No one else that I know of changes timing belts that often on their car.

with 944s I keep on hearing about timing belt failures and people are changing them more often than on other cars.

I do my preventative maintenance but all this timing belt disasters are making me paranoid. The next thing I'm going to do is buy a spare cylinder head just incase I break a belt.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:45 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
The next thing I'm going to do is buy a spare cylinder head just incase I break a belt.
Always keep a spare DME relay, DME, injector wiring harness, AFM, TPS, speed and ref sensors, head gasket, ring & pinion, and cylinder head in the glove box.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:55 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Always keep a spare DME relay, DME, injector wiring harness, AFM, TPS, speed and ref sensors, head gasket, ring & pinion, and cylinder head in the glove box.
lol. yeah and keep the tow truck guys number on speed dial.

I changed my dme relay in the summer and kept the old one in the glove compartment.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:59 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn, we lost another one.

Sorry Mike. I have no idea why your belt failed. My 968's timing and BS belts were only 2.5 years old with about 20k miles and the BS belt snapped, and jammed the timing belt. I lost 2 valves. I looked over the cam timing charts and it turns out the absolute best-case scenario with the 968 is 2 bent valves, could be much more. Whew I think.

I had retensioned the belts a few months before failure. I set the BS belt too tight, slightly. Maybe that caused it? I think it's mainly just the **** Conti belt quality. I will only buy and use Porsche belts from now on. A valve job on a 16v head has put a hole in my pocket the size of Neptune.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I use Gates belt whic is the "porsche" belt I think. conti is listed as aftermarket.

but my balance shaft belt is contitech I believe because the "porsche" balance shaft belt which might be gates is like 250 bucks or something crazy like that. I'm not paying 250 bucks for a belt. I'd rather replace it more often.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I forgot to mention, all this timing belt scare from the 944 crowd made me so paranoid that I even replaced my camshaft and crankshaft sprockets when I changed my belts because I heard that a old sprocket with the protective coating worn off will wear out the timing belt faster?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for all the comments and advise. Just to finish off with some pictures and the outcome of this problem.

To recap, belts changed 12,500 miles (18 months) ago. Front seals, rollers, water pump changed at the same time. Belts were retensioned after 2000 miles, everything to the book by a competant mechanic. Factory (conti) belt dated 10/06. Belt failed with car stationary at idle.

With the covers removed there were zero oil leaks.
With the belts removed all the rollers, tensioners and the water pump turned with no play or resistance.
The balance belt still looked like new.
The timing belt was not frayed anywhere along it's length.
There was a portion of the timing belt (6-8in long) where the teeth had completely come off.
On further inspection a lot of the other teeth close to that area were about to come off, covering about half the belt.
The rest of the belt had the teeth intact and even where the teeth had come off, the actual belt was fine.

My only conclusion is a faulty belt - Again this was a factory belt bought from a dealer - I am pissed.

Result: 2 bent valves

Here are the pics:

No damage to the pistons...

Two bent valves...

One only slightly bent...

One a little more bent...

Section of stripped teeth...

Transition from stripped to ok...

The new belt (same as the old - but date code 11/07)...

Should I take this further and inform the dealer or Conti?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes I think you should because you have nothing to lose. The belt looks new as the backside letters are still like new. I doubt they will cover your engine damage but maybe you can get a lifetime supply of belts.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm curious to how the rest of the belt looks at the portion where the teeth weren't stripped off. There was another thread very recently where someone suffered the same fate, but the whole belt looked worn down to the point where the teeth had nothing to hold on to.

Someone had a good point about looking in the valve train for something that might have jammed the cam. Did you find anything in there?

It is most disturbing to have a failure when you follow everything to the book. That's just not fair! I would check the valve guides on the two valves that got bent to make sure the head didn't crack in that area. Since the failure happened at idle, damage isn't likely, but I'd would make sure.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
marky522
Drifting

If you had a dealer do it, then parts warranty would cover it. But i know most people use indy's.

Mark
Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I'm curious to how the rest of the belt looks at the portion where the teeth weren't stripped off. There was another thread very recently where someone suffered the same fate, but the whole belt looked worn down to the point where the teeth had nothing to hold on to.

Someone had a good point about looking in the valve train for something that might have jammed the cam. Did you find anything in there?

It is most disturbing to have a failure when you follow everything to the book. That's just not fair! I would check the valve guides on the two valves that got bent to make sure the head didn't crack in that area. Since the failure happened at idle, damage isn't likely, but I'd would make sure.
The remaining teeth look ok, it was only just that portion that failed and maybe a few teeth either side look like they were about to fail. The failed belt looks almost as good as the new belt in the other areas, no frays, tears or visible wear marks. I also compared the length to the new belt and there was no stretch.

The head is being completely rebuilt and there is nothing loose inside the cam tower or under the belt covers. I am convinced that this was a manufacturing defect of the belt.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by marky522
If you had a dealer do it, then parts warranty would cover it. But i know most people use indy's.

Mark
I wouldn't let Braman in FL come within 50 miles of my p-cars, warranty or not.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:42 PM
robert944h
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the stud that the roller is on. It might be slightly bent. I have seen a car that had the same symptoms that you had and this was the problem. The slight tilt in the roller will cause the teeth to start tearing off the belt from rear to front.

Quick Reply: Another Timing Belt Failure - But All is Well