Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Timing Belt Failure - But All is Well

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by robert944h
Check the stud that the roller is on. It might be slightly bent. I have seen a car that had the same symptoms that you had and this was the problem. The slight tilt in the roller will cause the teeth to start tearing off the belt from rear to front.
Good point, replaced all the rollers again and didn't notice anything wrong with the old studs, but I will take a closer look.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

robert has a very good point. However, that would suck if you already complained about the faulty belt, and it really wasnt the belt...lol
Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 PM
robert944h
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stud doesn't have to be much to cause this problem. That stud can be bought from Porsche and be replaced, but they are ususally a pain to come out.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
Good point, replaced all the rollers again and didn't notice anything wrong with the old studs, but I will take a closer look.
Now this is the kind of info you'll only find where a lot of owners are involved like here on rennlist.

It make sense and the chance of finding it by oneself is just about zero.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by robert944h
Check the stud that the roller is on. It might be slightly bent. I have seen a car that had the same symptoms that you had and this was the problem. The slight tilt in the roller will cause the teeth to start tearing off the belt from rear to front.
I checked the old stud against a new one and it looks ok, so that wasn't the problem here. However I can see that if the stud was even slightly bent it would cause issues, but with that type of missalignment I would expect some wear or fraying at the edges of the belt too. I have no wear whatsoever on the edges and the actual belt looks good, it was just the teeth in that small section that stripped.

I tried to see if I could dislodge other teeth in a different part of the belt, I used an old balance shaft roller and tried to strip the teeth on a bench using a lot of force, but they were firm. So I am still convinced it was a bad belt.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

To recap, belts changed 12,500 miles (18 months) ago. Front seals, rollers, water pump changed at the same time. Belts were retensioned after 2000 miles, everything to the book by a competant mechanic.

I might have missed this, but did your mechanic pick up the parts to do the work or did he or she use parts that you brought them?

I knew of a similiar parts-failure situation years ago and posted on it to the forum (just search for Micah 944S). The one thing that saved my buddy was that a recognized mechanic (Bob Farmer, who also by sheer luck happens to not take $hit from anyone) had done the work with parts from his supplier (of umpteen years). It turned into a gigantic mess for Bob. He wound up giving Matt a full rebuild because it was the second catastrophic failure the vehicle had suffered (the first was on the way back from the POs house after my buddy had purchased it). He then went back to his parts supplier (SSF) with the faulty chain... and they wouldn't do anything about it. Farmer ate the cost of the rebuild. My buddy drove the car for another 30 or 40k and then sold 'er.

Although it might be more expensive, that is one benefit of having a mechanic work on your car with his or her parts - there's a better chance of you being covered if the worst happens. Good luck with getting something back from Porsche - as Lego said, it never hurts to try.

Micah

Quick Reply: Another Timing Belt Failure - But All is Well