Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Timing Belt Failure - But All is Well

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there must have been something wrong for it to fail that soon.

either you got unlucky and got a bad belt or something else failed or wasn't installed properly.

a timing belt should last much more than 18 months.

most people don't even change timing belts every 3 years. many cars timing belts are replaced every 90-100k and they don't fail.

I would think the teeth rip off usually if something seizes but mayb not.

I'd like to know the reason of the failure also.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
I don't think it's baloney, why would you say that, this guy has see a lot of 944 belt issues, do you have any experience?

The way I see it is if the belt breaks while you are stationary and at idle, the crank stops, the pistons stop, the valves stop, very little if any momentum so a possibility of no damage.
This is an incorrect assumption. The crank has a nice heavy flywheel attached to it. The crank will not just stop when the belt breaks. The cam may stop pretty quickly, but will still move a little.

It failed while at stop lights, the car was stationary and suddenly the engine cut out. Tried to start and it just whirred like the starter was faulty.
If you were lucky enough to avoid damage when the belt broke, the above will almost certainly do the damage. It's a natural reaction. When the motor dies, you think, oh it must have stalled and try to restart it. If any of the valves are open at that point, they will be bent when the piston comes up to meet it. The whirring is the classic sound it makes when there less compression than normal due to bent valves.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM
elf89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused too because if you tried to start the car after the belt broke, the starter is spinning the crank and moving the pistons, yes? As the piston contacts an extended valve I would also have thought it would bend that valve. Even turning the crank by hand could do it, couldn't it?

I hope all your valves are OK, but I can see why others are skeptical. Good luck with the fix. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The way I see it is if the belt breaks while you are stationary and at idle, the crank stops, the pistons stop, the valves stop, very little if any momentum so a possibility of no damage.
Sure, it's possible that there is no damage, but, in my opinion, and experience, highly unlikely.

I assume he checked with a compression test? What were the numbers?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
This is an incorrect assumption. The crank has a nice heavy flywheel attached to it. The crank will not just stop when the belt breaks. The cam may stop pretty quickly, but will still move a little.

If you were lucky enough to avoid damage when the belt broke, the above will almost certainly do the damage. It's a natural reaction. When the motor dies, you think, oh it must have stalled and try to restart it. If any of the valves are open at that point, they will be bent when the piston comes up to meet it. The whirring is the classic sound it makes when there less compression than normal due to bent valves.
Agreed.

I'm confused too because if you tried to start the car after the belt broke, the starter is spinning the crank and moving the pistons, yes? As the piston contacts an extended valve I would also have thought it would bend that valve. Even turning the crank by hand could do it, couldn't it?
Agreed.

If the motor is turning, even at idle, it will more than likely bend some valves. *Maybe* it will be less catastrophic than if you are on a hard 6000rpm charge.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, I am also convinced that a valve or two are bent, though he still says I might be lucky. He has the new belts etc and I am almost tempted to order a rebuilt head & gasket set from 944online on a sale or return basis, just in case.

I had a chance to look at it again today, the old belt doesn't look cracked or frayed, just some teeth in a six inch section are totally stripped. No oil leaks, completely dry and all the rollers and tensioners are moving freely - I am at a loss as to why this would fail so soon, it's a conti belt new from the dealer and with a Porsche part#. I will post the date mark when it's off.

He is doing the work next week, too busy this week getting the race car out for a shake down on Friday at the new Moroso track I shall post pics and follow-ups here.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the cam/cam gear is jammed somehow, it will cause the belt to strip. I have seen one head where the last person who removed the camtower left the dowel pin on the top of the head being kicked around by the cam lobes until it jammed against the camhousing stripping the belt and breaking the "P" out of the "Porsche" casting on top of the camtower. You may want to have the mechanic check the cam to see if spins freely just in case.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Order a replacement head?... Just take the existing head to a machine shop. I had mine fully rebuilt and milled both top and bottom for under $300. I'd expect the bill to be very similar if you are not milling it, but replacing a couple of valves instead. Pretty hard to find a rebuilt head in that price range, plus you'd have to deal with shipping and such.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

i'm getting worried now. my belt is almost 3 years old now and 15,000 kms with new rollers, water pump. I'm going to replace my tensioner stud also when doing the belt.

if my belt breaks even with proper maintenance then i'd be pissed...... Are porsches just engineered to break and cost you more and more money?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero10
Order a replacement head?... Just take the existing head to a machine shop. I had mine fully rebuilt and milled both top and bottom for under $300. I'd expect the bill to be very similar if you are not milling it, but replacing a couple of valves instead. Pretty hard to find a rebuilt head in that price range, plus you'd have to deal with shipping and such.
944online offer a rebuilt head for $600 with a 1 year warranty, depending on the number of valves that need replacing I think that is a good deal and you can just bolt it on and not have to wait for a machine shop.

+ they are close to me so I can pick-up.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
Are porsches just engineered to break and cost you more and more money?
Porsches are engineered to push the performance envelope.

That comes with a price. ANY car that's 20-25 years old will require a lot of maintenance. Any performance car will require more.

You should see what repair bills are on a 20 year old Ferrari Testarossa. It would be cheaper to just buy another 944 every month.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
i'm getting worried now. my belt is almost 3 years old now and 15,000 kms with new rollers, water pump. I'm going to replace my tensioner stud also when doing the belt.

if my belt breaks even with proper maintenance then i'd be pissed...... Are porsches just engineered to break and cost you more and more money?
Weren't you the same person that in another thread you were arguing with me when I said these aren't daily driver cars due to their old age and parts availability issues? Remember that conversation? You said something like washing and waxing and changing the oil were all that was needed or something like that?

Hmm.

They grow up so fast.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Wait, maybe it was V2 that said that. If so, I apologize. I get you two confused sometimes, I don't know why.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats interesting I got them 2 confused in the beginning too for whatever strange reason...
Old 11-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Zero10
Race Car

944online offer a rebuilt head for $600 with a 1 year warranty, depending on the number of valves that need replacing I think that is a good deal and you can just bolt it on and not have to wait for a machine shop.

+ they are close to me so I can pick-up.
A machine shop should take 1-2 days, and you may want to ask 944online about what happens to the core charge when they find bent valves. You may not get the full core charge back.

$600 is pretty steep for a head rebuild. Typically machine shops will charge $30-$50 per valve, and ~$150 for a full head rebuild (including guides and seals), so in my $300 estimate that is 3-5 bent valves (Depending on pricing).

It's your car and if you are in a rush then take the quick route, but I'd still suggest calling some machine shops. Maybe the pricing down there is totally different and my advice is irrelevant.

Quick Reply: Another Timing Belt Failure - But All is Well