Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine leaks :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003 | 06:26 PM
Tim Cullison
Advanced

Post Engine leaks :(

I found out why I am losing coolant in my system on my 84 944. The water pump is bad now. One of my friends is a mechanic and so we pulled the belt cover off to inspect the pump and water was trickling out of the side of the pump(pulley) and there was some play when my friend grabbed it to see if it would move. I called around to get prices and they were all rediculous so I looked at PelicanParts website and saw that they mentioned some about a new style pump?? What I don't get is that on the water pump page they state this...

"The older style water pump is one of the most troublesome parts on the early 944s. A very common upgrade is to replace it with a later style one, as the earlier ones often leak. In fact, the early ones are no longer available, and if you have an early 944 (pre 1987 models), you need to upgrade to the later style pump. The adapter kit for the early 944s contains:"

But then in the list it says:

"Water Pump (Rebuilt, 1983-86 with Original pump, w/o cam belt guard), 944 Turbo (1986-89), 924S (10/86-1987

And then one of these:

Adapter Kit for 944s (pre 1987)

So my question is, is that the old pump they are selling or is it an old pump that has been rebuilt to function like a new style pump? I don't get it. I put some Bar's Stop Leak in the coolant system and that seems to have really slowed the leak down while I wait for the money to get a pump. I also found a small oil leak coming from the front main seal... I also got an estimate from Porsche to tension the belts after I get some new ones on and I was quoted $125. Another question- My instructor told me that if he was doing the job, he would get the factory timing mark specifications to line up the crank and cam pulleys as if I were putting a new belt on. How would I go about doing that? Thanks.

Tim C.
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:30 PM
GMS
Pro

All of the pumps for sale are rebuilt, no-one buys new ones. The difference between a later style and earlier one is the later one had some changes because it also fits the Turbo.

Before you do anything on this car buy and read the Haynes manual and the Porsche Parts and Technical Information book (both are easliy available.

You will need to replace all the front end seals if the crank one is leaking.

Parts required.
Water pump, rebuilt later (turbo) style.
Water pump gasket; only use Porsche one.
Thermostat and kit for later pump.
Block off adaptor for later pump.
Belt guide plate and roller for later pump.
Timing belt
Balance shaft belt
Timing belt tensioner roller
Balance shaft tensioner roller
Balance shaft tensioner roller (small)
Front engine seal kit
Oil pump drive and o-ring
Balance shaft seal sleeve
Coolant
Oil filter and oil.
Alternator belt
Power steering belt

You should also have the Porsche timing belt
tension tool.

By the way, if the pump is leaking DON"T DRIVE THE CAR, the coolant usually destroys the pump bearings, which collapse or seize and that snaps the timing belt, after which your 944 is worth $300-$500.
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:49 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by GMS:
<strong>All of the pumps for sale are rebuilt, no-one buys new ones. book (both are easliy available.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Wrongo...New water pumps are readily available...I went with a new punp for my '86 951 from Ian @ 944.online.com...I think it was about $50 more...The water pump was a new unit built in Germany.
Old 01-09-2003 | 11:54 PM
GMS
Pro

Mike, you bought a $50 aluminum casting;
that's the only difference between new and rebuilt.

You are right they are available, but few people buy them. Actually, for 968 we have not been able to get rebuilt ones recently.
Old 01-10-2003 | 01:57 AM
Tim Cullison
Advanced

I have a haynes manual and my friend and I looked through it so we could get an idea of what was involved in doing this. I bought a thermostat and the little seal that goes in there with it from Porsche about a week ago, will this Thermostat likely work with the new style pumps, or does it make a difference? I mean I guess that is a stupid question but I figured I would ask and make sure. I really appreciate you making up that list for me so now I will have an idea of what all I need The automotive school I go to has AllData computers that I can go to and type the VIN # of my car into and it will provide me with information about my car. I haven't used them so I don't know what kind of info they provide. Do you guys know? At any rate I will check it out tomorrow. Do you guys know of a place online that has prices for parts cheaper than PelicanParts? If so, great. If not, then that's ok because I will just go ahead and order them all from Pelican Parts. I really appreciate all of your help

Tim C.

Quick Reply: Engine leaks :(