Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler for wiring harness.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Feeler for wiring harness.

Ok this is just curiosity... I don't want anyone to take it too seriously yet.

After this semester I may have to wait until next fall before I can transfer to a 4 year college so I've been looking for something to do, if I do have to wait.

I was thinking about making up a few wiring harnesses and selling them. I was wondering if anyone thinks I'll be able to sell them.

I roughly added up all the receipts from my harness built and it came to <$300. And I looked up the cost for a new harness on pelican and they were between $670 and $800.

I was thinking of charging everyone at cost for the parts they request plus labor. Now since it takes me about a million years to make one of these I would definitely just charge a flat labor rate. I was thinking somewhere around $150. It took a few weeks to make mine, and I don't know how much faster I could do it.

I would be able to sleeve it in the color of your choice. Or anything at your request actually...

How it would differ from the original:
1) New sleeve
2) New style AMP connectors (so much better than the old ones)
3) I would remove the OBD connector but leave it wired into the DME
4) Same with the performance curve connector. But I guess I COULD hook that up...
5) I won't deal with your rubber snorkel. If you want it, you'll be able to slide it on after it is done.

I can use whatever gauge and grade wire you want, but the charge would change accordingly. I would send you the original receipts with the harness.

I would like to do this if I have to wait a whole year before I transfer to college, but there is a chance I won't have to wait.
I'm not looking to make a living off of this for a year just don't want to sit on my butt for 9 months. If there were any problems with the harness I would happily fix it for free. Yada yada...

Again though.... I'm just wondering if this would fly... Anyone think I could sell these? I don't want anyone to get too excited and jump in with "I'll take one!!!" because I don't want this to turn out to be one of those things that fell through.

Here is my old thread https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/426454-ok-i-m-makin-a-friggin-harness.html

There are pictures of mine, and I can almost guarantee that the next ones will look cleaner than mine.

One last time... just curious... don't hate me if I don't do this.

Thanks!
-Brett
Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just going to throw this out there.... even the most menial of jobs will keep you occupied and make $200 or more a week.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:55 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah... if you just want to make your time into money you're best bet is to get a job. But if you really enjoy making harnesses and/or can't find a job, I'm sure 1 or 2 people need a new harness. I need a new one but I've already started making it.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I was just looking for something to do, and help out the P-car guys.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 PM
ballysdad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep me posted Im in Westfield
Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

A new engine harness made with good wire and heat resistant sleeving would be great. I've got a spare harness that I want to rebuild, but if someone comes out with a complete harness, I'd be all over it.

I'm actually in the middle of a interior harness rebuild. What a nightmare. My original one was hacked to **** by the PO (as is the engine harness). I've got a replacement harness that is virtually untouched, but it has a slew of issues too (like no insulation on the radiator cooling fan wires through the entire loom). I've been steadily removing the old, dried out cloth wrap, inspecting, repairing/replacing and re-wrapping the whole thing. Between the repairs, incorporation of additional harnesses (like for the pillar gauges), relocation (stereo connectors, ballast resistors, etc) and the re-wrap, I don't know if I'll ever get it done!

Quick Reply: Feeler for wiring harness.