Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay 951: looks fishy to me

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aribop
I have seen this car in person and looked over the paperwork. Although not as pristine as some, it is legit. Only 37K original miles. It is owned by a Porsche shop owner here in town. Darn nice guy and a darn nice car!
Seller is not a car dealer.
ok, sorry.....I just noticed he has a few cars for sale at the moment and has sold a few recently.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 PM
CPR
Race Director

The following is a part of the e-bay description for the PORSCHE for sale.

"....his mother had bought the car new and she absolutely loved it. Unfortunately several years after her purchase, she was injured on the job leaving her with a severely damaged leg. This forced her to buy an alternative vehicle with an automatic transmission but she could not let the Porsche go until now.

According to the Report, the car has had 4 owners...Dates of title transfer:

Just FYI...take it for what it is worth.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the mother story is obviously BS and the seller only knows what he has found out fron a little research on 944's but the engine bay looks to me like it the miles could be legit, and the rest of the condition could be from a lot of years in the sun. The dash was probably covered with a mat though, so it's not all cracked. The dirty interior doesn't look very well card for but the shift boot looks original and there isn't really any wear, so I can believe the miles. You're swapping in all your nice stuff anyway, right?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 AM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The carpets look pretty bad also. Too much wear on the seats. I saw that ad also, just doesn't seem right.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
The following is a part of the e-bay description for the PORSCHE for sale.

"....his mother had bought the car new and she absolutely loved it. Unfortunately several years after her purchase, she was injured on the job leaving her with a severely damaged leg. This forced her to buy an alternative vehicle with an automatic transmission but she could not let the Porsche go until now.

According to the Report, the car has had 4 owners...Dates of title transfer:

Just FYI...take it for what it is worth.
In 1991 I bought a RX7 convertible brand new. I was living at my parents house. when i bought my first house and changed my address carfax reported it as a new title. When i took it off the road for the winter and surrendered the plates, and then re registered it, carfax reported it as a new owner.

then i moved again. guess what carfax did.

oh, lets not forget the time the kid smogging the car put the enima in wrong. the car failed inspection. He immediately re did the test with the enema properly installed. carfax reported the car as failing inspection.

so the car i bought new, had records for every fill up in my handwriting, receipts for every oil change etc. had three or four owners. dont believe me? just say the word and i will find the VIN. The last five digits were 13305. I think it started with JM1FB go run it.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
37,000 miles, nice paint, but wear and tear suggests the odometer had been broken for a while...

Opinions?
So are you going to bid on it?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jstand22
either way that car is beautiful.
Exactly what I was thinking..
Originally Posted by tedwright
Pretty nice rack.
yeah, that one pic in the middle, looking through the windshield...
Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
also if its really dry the leather would crack easier.
or the woman could be enormous.
Ditto, the wear seems to be mostly the seats and the **** on the shift (couldn't see much on the steering wheel). I noticed the AC button looks new... would be nice to have better pics of the buttons in front of the shifter, but they looked pretty new, too.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling that car was tracked. Just a hunch but it has more wear then the mileage indicates and at 37K the shifter boot, seats, dash, hood liner, coolant tank, and rocker guards are just too worn. There are two 30K mile cars locally and they look entirely different from a care perspective. Between the boost enhancer, koni inserts, and 968 castor blocks, and other misc items, the car has more usage then the mileage indicates so track usage in always an option. The front seat was also removed at some point as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I appreciate all the input, guys.

I may just bid on it; I'm not too sure yet though. I haven't received the money from the insurance company yet, and I'm not sure when I'll get the cash. Fortunately, he only needs $1000 w/in 24 hours.

Kevin, yeah upon looking at the car's interior, I'd definitely be swapping. Chalk one up for PO's who cared about the car. Hell, mine had 130k on the clock. And Sean (azmi951) has over 230k!

What do yous guys think? Should I take the bait? I absolutely love the black-on-black/champagne color combo, not to mention those Fuchs really set it off nicely.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

i think you should take it. sure, the sob story is kind of lame but none-the-less, beautiful car. id go for it but have not enough cash for that =....(

but then again, its not what everyone here thinks, its WHAT YOU THINK. YOU are buying the car, not us. we can tell you so many things and it still wont be up to us. just do what you feel is right and hey u never know, maybe you will win it and u got urself one nice car =)
Old 11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Stefan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's going on with those stone chip guards on the rear quarter? I've never seen that before. Have they been painted?

Looks like a lot of Orange peel to me on that black paint as well. I think the factory paint from 1986 was much better than that. Could be a re-paint.

Driver's Floor mat is really worn out and where did the factory phone dials go? Don't think the Fuchs were an option on 951.

The hood pad on the left looks horrid. Mine wasn't that bad at 300,000km.

I wouldn't discount the car, but I'd have a VERY close look at a possible re-paint and stuck (repaired) odometer.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Ha good point. However, each person sees a different thing in the car. So, hopefully, you'll see something about it I don't.

Since I've currently got a (formerly) beautiful-yet-totaled 951 sitting in my driveway, I'm eager to get another. I just spoke with insurance, and I should be able to get my check by tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefan

Driver's Floor mat is really worn out and where did the factory phone dials go? Don't think the Fuchs were an option on 951.
Are you kidding me?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a legit car - I've seen it in person as well and do not doubt the mileage. I recommended to the seller(Bryan) that if i were selling the car I would get rid of the boost enhancer, swap out the hood insulation pads/coolant tank/brake fluid tan for new ones, have the rock guards replaced and have a touch up guy go over the rock chips. It is a beautiful example in person and everything from the condition of the paint to the carpet to the clearness of the glass to the quality of the original zincing and cadmium plating backs up the mileage.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Josh, this is what i needed to hear. How do you know the owner? Any chance you could impart some more info on it?

Is the reason for the wear due to the fact that it's sat out in the sun this whole time?

It's a great looking, solid-appearing car. I'm just a bit leery due to the seemingly abnormal wear. e.g., my '86 with 130k was in better condition. However, much on my car has been replaced, and I suppose it's entirely possible that everything on that car is original.

Quick Reply: Ebay 951: looks fishy to me