Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progress on ol Yeller, throttle cam review, & SFR S2 sc sighting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 07:13 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Progress on ol Yeller, throttle cam review, & SFR S2 sc sighting.

Ok, some of you may know that I am freshening up the car for the good weather we've been having. I removed the stoneguards last week. The results were amazing. The car's lines are very uninterupted. It looks so good that I am having doubts about replacing the stickers. I'll prolly do this once bad weather strikes in autumn. However, I'll prolly have an e36 Bimmer 325is by then. I'm gonna clay bar the whole car tomorrow and wax it with 3 coats of caranuba, and polish with mothers showtime. Should make for some damn good shine, considering the car's paint looks amazing even w/o appreciable amounts of wax. I'll also be cleaning the wheels, wheel arches and interior. The motor is very clean. After all the waxing and cleaning is done with, I'm taking the car in to get the rocker panels resprayed. I was gonna do it myself, but I got an awesome deal through my shop. I'll also have my turbo valence painted at the same time. After all that, I'm gonna repair my tranny mount, and attempt to replace my motor mounts (we'll see).

Now, I just received my round throttle cam in the mail yesterday. Took me all of 5 minutes to install. All I have to say is DAMN!!! Why the hell wasnt this a stock piece????? The car is so much more responsive, and you can really take advantage of all the available torque. Remember how much of the peak torque is supposedly availabe at lower revs? Its actually there, and is waiting to be ABUSED. All you need is the right t-cam profile! I cant even begin to describe how pleased I am. The car actually feels faster. Now, here is where I get dissapointed. The piece I bought is machined from billet aluminum, and although its shiny and all "machiney" and what not, it actually performs the same mechanical operation as the stock cam with the little arm cut off. It is the same diameter etc and if you could hacksaw the arm off to preserve a round shape in the groove the cable goes into, you could save yourself a couple bucks. However, I'm gonna test this before I recommend it, cause I wouldnt want a bunch of fellow rennlisters running around with ****ty throttle cams.

I went down to Weissach ( <a href="http://www.weissach.com" target="_blank">www.weissach.com</a> ), my favorite p-car shop and was talkin to Stuart (former service manager, now I believe he is co-owner) about this black S2 with massive tires that always seems to be in various sorts of dissassembly in the shop. Turns out the guy is getting an SFR supercharger installed. I'm headed back to the shop in a couple days, and I'll make sure to post on the car's progress for all y'all interested in SFRs sc kit.

Oh yeah, Hood badge was stolen on the weekend, genuine new one cost an arm and a leg (looks beautiful though). Why the cost?? Uli the parts mgr says "It's handmade in the Black Forest" .
Old 05-15-2002, 07:17 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Forgot to add, I recomend an open air filter element with the t-cam for max. throttle responce. You can either get a cone filter, or a plain one and saw the top of your air box off (sounds amazing). If you opt for the sawing, please make an effort to make a clean, discreet cut. I went that way and am pleased with the results.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:23 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Lemon Yellow 87 n/a:
<strong>"It's handmade in the Black Forest" .</strong><hr></blockquote>

the only thing they make in the Black Forest are Cookoo Clocks. Are you sure you have a Porsche crest on your hood??
Old 05-16-2002, 01:54 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
any comments on the difficulty of the stonegaurd removal?

Jason
Old 05-16-2002, 03:27 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Mike, he was joking.

Jason: it wasnt that difficult, it was just time consuming. Its much easier if you have a proper heat gun, and a hard plastic blade. E-mail me with any specific questions.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:47 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Matt, can you put up a pic of your engine compartment - I'd like to see exactly what you did with your air box

Micah
Old 05-16-2002, 03:48 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

I'll be posting detailed pics of my car for the first time in a week or so. I'll make sure I include the motor and the airbox .
Old 05-16-2002, 04:38 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks! &lt;Digging for saw!&gt;

I actually thought about buying the "VTX Inhaler" advertised by Vertex (to be used with a Cone) but I've never actually seen someone with one. I'm also not a big fan of the "VTX" stamped on the brace...

Micah

Quick Reply: Progress on ol Yeller, throttle cam review, & SFR S2 sc sighting.