Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has installed a replacement dash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:50 PM
sandwood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has installed a replacement dash?

Just like the title says - I'm going to tackle this project in the next week or so and I'm wondering if anyone has any insights/tips other than the walk-through on Clark's Garage. TIA.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not offering any advise, but just wondering where in the DC area are ya? And are you coming to the meet on Sunday? Good luck on the install! I plan on doing my dash over Xmas.
Also is the car airbag equipped?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM
sandwood
Instructor

I'm in DC proper. The car is also about to get a suspension overhaul, so it's not on the road right now. I'd like to make a meet in the future though. The existing dash and replacement dash have the passenger side airbag (disconnected, I believe). The steering wheel has already been replaced. Thanks,
Alex
Old 10-29-2008, 05:12 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done it few times -- not that hard to do, except there are lots of screws to keep track of. I would get a roll of Scotch tape and tape the screws to the print-outs of Clark's Garage.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I have done it and if you follow the Clark's Garage instructions it will go very well. Be careful with the older plastic parts as they can be brittle. I used ziploc sandwich baggies for the fasteners and labelled each one with reference to the instructions and location.

While you are in there I recommend replacing all of the bulbs (with LEDs) and redoing the instrument cluster light tunnels. Makes a huge difference.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

double post

Last edited by fbgh2o; 10-29-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: delete double post
Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

No big deal as long as you keep track of the scews. Also, make sure you snug everything down and if there's any trim tape padding missing replace it. If you don't do those two things you can come up with some wicked rattles.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Agreed on the trim tape...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 PM
sandwood
Instructor

great, thanks for the tips. I'm excited about finally ditching the cracked dash!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
sandwood
Instructor

on an unrelated note, I do not recommend world upholstery's molded carpet replacement set. I did a fair amount of research before buying. The carpet itself is ok (I got the domestic pile carpet, not the "import"), but the fit is only so-so. It may be that it will settle down to properly conform to the car, but even if it does, the pattern is not the best fit. still, a major improvement over the old carpet....

it may be that the cut and bound set is much better, but I bought the molded set because they said it wd be easier to install.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you follow Clarks procedure, on step 4 it tells you to remove the control ***** from the climate control panel. DO NOT remove the round *****! It is not necessary and you will probably end up breaking one. Only remove the two slider ***** by pulling them off. Then remove the face panel trim and go from there.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this back in 2005 and my recollection is that the clark's directions were pretty complete. I would also suggest that you replace the clock light bulb while you have it apart. My clock bulb gave up right after I did this project and I've never had the energy to go back in to fix it.

It took me a full weekend, but I tend to go slowly and clean everything as I go. It was not hard, just time consuming and a bit nerve wracking. I've had no problems with creaks or rattles since.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT: are the "top" and "bottom" of the late dash connected, or different pieces?? my friends '86 has a dash with a black top, and tan bottom section. we were wondering if it was possible to swap just the bottom parts or not.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwood
on an unrelated note, I do not recommend world upholstery's molded carpet replacement set. I did a fair amount of research before buying. The carpet itself is ok (I got the domestic pile carpet, not the "import"), but the fit is only so-so. It may be that it will settle down to properly conform to the car, but even if it does, the pattern is not the best fit. still, a major improvement over the old carpet....

it may be that the cut and bound set is much better, but I bought the molded set because they said it wd be easier to install.
I have a cut and bound Feintuft carpet set waiting to go in. I can tell you the carpet itself is pure sex. I wasn't very happy with what I got for the money though - no backing, no instructions, not even a simple diagram to show where the individual pieces go. It looks like it will be a *lot* of fitting, cutting, refitting and gluing to get it in. My biggest worries are getting it to fit right around the emergency brake handle and the accelerator pedal. I honestly cannot see how this carpet would go in without having the entire interior gutted, including all the side trim pieces.

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
OT: are the "top" and "bottom" of the late dash connected, or different pieces?? my friends '86 has a dash with a black top, and tan bottom section. we were wondering if it was possible to swap just the bottom parts or not.
The late dashes are one piece. The top and bottom sections cannot be separated.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

You will probably discover that the foam on the center vents is shot/deteriorated. Now is the time to correct this. Get 1/4'' upholstery foam and some spray glue that wouldn't attack the foam. I replaced mine by myself but it would have been best to have two people when placing the dash inplace. For some reason I kept trying to install it and was constantly holding it too high as I shoved it forward. There's a clamp in the center that its got to mate. I suggest you place a mark/tape to windshield something to aim at for the correct height before you remove the dash. Not as scary as it looks. I would also suggest u put removed screws into the new dash for each piece u remove. That way when you're ready to install all the pieces the screws are right there.

Quick Reply: who has installed a replacement dash?