Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant-Rave and a multitude of questions about the s3....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Cfiles0920
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant-Rave and a multitude of questions about the s3....

OK hello all, this post won't be a short one. It has come about from a mix of frustration, confusion, worry and just about anything else you can think of. I own an '89 944 with the "s3" swap. Many of you know it as "Argento". Since i purchased it a year ago from Matt O., I can honestly say that I haven't be absolutely perfect with maintenance, but i haven't neglected the car at all. But recently it has given me nothing but problems.
- High beams don't work don't have the slightest idea whats wrong with it.
- Driver side parking/running lights dont work, and blow relay when switched turned on. (cleaned ground contacts, don't really know where to go from there.) Pretty sure there is a short somewhere.
- Exhaust has a leak in it and the heat shield rattles, but that's the shops fault and is easily fixed.
- Car has a hard time starting (doesn't like to start first time. After 2 or 3 tries it fires right up.)
- Bad motor mount on pass. side (i think) causes wicked vibration at idle.
- Idle sometimes fluctuates between 1k and 1.2k

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but i know something will come up soon. Sorry about the post, but i have reached a point where it is almost not worth it anymore to keep it. I don't want to get rid of it, but i would like to move out of the folks house eventually...I'm friggin' 24 years old.... I cant seem to find a shop to help with diagnosis or even many Rennlisters that can give me some spare hands and knowledge here in the south Alabama area. Can someone help diagnose these problems and tell me if the fix(es) will be easy/hard, relatively cheap/expensive??? Or should i just take a huge loss and sell it to someone that has the time, money and patience to take care of it right? Do you even think anyone will buy it?? I am probably going to sell it at some point for a more reasonable daily driver anyway. But i don't really want to sell someone a steel box or problems. I dunno, better judgment tells me to sell it and use the thousands i will spend on it on buying a house or something. I feel like i am too young to take on a 20 year old European sports car. (but dammit I will have another one day) What do you guys think?? Please be honest. Sell or not i will remain on this forum because you guys are so helpful, and hopefully i will make some friends. TIA a ton.

-Chad
Old 10-29-2008, 12:46 AM
porcho heat
Pro

Nothing in that list sounds terrible or a reason to give up, especially on an 'S3'

The 968 engine really changes the 944, it's just a great feeling at almost any RPM, and you'll probably lose more money selling it with those problems than fixing them and selling... It's hard enough selling a frankencar when everything is working properly
Old 10-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Cfiles0920
Instructor

I know it can all probably be fixed in a few weekends, but it is a daily driver....i know it shouldn't be, but i cant afford to have it not running by Monday each week. It always comes at the same time, it just gets frustrating...oh yeah and i just got out of it and smelled coolant....never a good sign... haha
Old 10-29-2008, 12:51 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

I agree, none of those problems sound like an expensive fix. If that's all that's wrong with the car, you'll regret ever selling it.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Cfiles0920
Instructor

Ok, i am not very mechanically inclined......can you guys give me a starting point?? I take that back, if I knew what i was doing, I could do it. I just don't know what I'm doing...
Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Cfiles0920
Instructor

Ok admit, half of the desire to get rid of it came from everyone around me telling me i need to get rid of it.....still need the Porsche guys to tell me i should keep it. And i would like to keep it running like the day i bought it. Convince away!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:07 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Checking/replacing your vacuum lines might help your idle. Are you sure your highbeams aren't working, or are the bulbs just blown. Motor mounts are simple if you find someone to help you. Again, check all your grounds and wiring for shorts if you're blowing relays and fuses.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With an engine swap car, you have a long learning curve to climb. But rest assured that it's a rewarding climb. Start with small projects and build up your repertoire -- we've all been there.

+1 on checking the bulbs. It's probably that simple. On your starting issue, make sure you have a fresh battery (when was it last replaced?) If the battery is fresh, get a fresh starter. I think idle between 1k and 1.2k is perfectly fine...

I'd leave exhaust work to someone who can weld and leave motor mount to someone with a good lift.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

i'd buy it, but don't really wanna go to AL for it. the issues you have, a person really wouldn't have to be Porsche knowledgable, just a decent mechanic. for the starting thing, battery, but also check plugs and wires. if none of those, the starter, and really it's not something that has to be done right away, mine's been **** since i bought mine in july 07, i just gotta bump start it sometimes.

check the bulbs for the lights. or if you don't care just buy new lights.

the idling, it happens, especially if something is turned on, such as the a/c. but mine does it, mostly on start up or when the fans kick in at a stop light.

i have found, mechanics with a certification can work on any car, they just need either 1) a lil help or 2) a hanes repair manual. hell even i'm getting more audacious about my car, my dad has taken engines apart and put them back together when he was younger. and he helped with my 924. dont be afraid.if you need help, ask. if you want to do it yourself, go to a local mechanic and ask if they have any advice, or if you can use their lift and them help you. i did it in VA, and i do it here in NJ. i always use my mechanics lift. i used it last week to get my hood open, and in march to change the trans.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 AM
joonas
Racer

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

That url helps you get your headlights working, check motor mounts, if 968 engine has TPS (Throttle Position Switch) like 944 it might be the reason of high idel, test it.

Do you have factory wireing manuals to track down electrical problems?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to fix 95% in a weekend.
Do not give up.
Use the money you would have spent at the mechanic and but tools.

Learn to do it yourself.
The knowledge gained will save you lots of money over your life time, and perhaps
a new skill will be looked at as rewarding instead of just a chore.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I know this is obvious, but I'm just going to state it anyway.

A 20year old german sportscar, let alone one with a motor swapped in from another series of car, does not an optimal daily driver make. You really need another car that can function as a daily driver. At your age, not really being established yet, and not really knowing a whole lot about these cars, I really would suggest that you sell it for decent money and buy something more reliable.

I waited until after I turned 30, already had a house and most of my college paid off, before I bought a toy car to tinker with that I didn't need to depend on to get me to work every day. That's what these really are.

(I know I will be flamed for the above statement so bring it on.)
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 AM
tdz
Intermediate

I second this opinion.

These cars are cheap to buy, but expensive to maintain unless you do it yourself as a hobby. Not a good daily driver without a backup car.

Tom
Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
robert944h
Racer

If you need professional help take it to Harry Williams Imports in Pensacola. They are a Porsche only indepedent shop.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cfiles0920
- High beams don't work don't have the slightest idea whats wrong with it.
You need to determine if the high beams are recieving power. First check the fuse.. Then if you have a multimeter PM me and i can send you a link to the wiring diagrams and you can see if power is getting to the bulb... Then post your findings and we can help past that.

- Driver side parking/running lights dont work, and blow relay when switched turned on. (cleaned ground contacts, don't really know where to go from there.) Pretty sure there is a short somewhere.
You have a short somewhere, it may be related to your headlight issue somehow, I work on Porsche's every day and NORMALLY you dont get the coincedince of two similar problems from different causes... I would start by pulling all the bulbs on that side of the car replace the fuse activate the circuit and see if it blows again. If it does I would reccomend getting a test light. Again post your results and we can help after that.

- Exhaust has a leak in it and the heat shield rattles, but that's the shops fault and is easily fixed.
Let the shop fix that...

- Car has a hard time starting (doesn't like to start first time. After 2 or 3 tries it fires right up.)
You need to be more specific, what does it do, long crank? If so next time you try and start it when cold turn the ignition on, and let it sit, shut it off and repeat 3 times, you are priming the fuel system, it could be as simple as the check valve in the fuel pump.

- Bad motor mount on pass. side (i think) causes wicked vibration at idle.
The FSM has a measurement that you can take to see if the motormount has collapsed. Or just PM MATT and see if he replaced them, With all that work i would be surprised if he didnt

[/QUOTE]
- Idle sometimes fluctuates between 1k and 1.2k
[QUOTE]

This is my weakness as a tech, i can tell you i would smoke the intake, and find my leaks that way, some people spray carb clean, or similar till they hear the idle change, you could do a good visual inspection with a bright light, inspec every hose on top of the motor flor cracks etc.

Post your findings up,

Mark

Quick Reply: Rant-Rave and a multitude of questions about the s3....