Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant-Rave and a multitude of questions about the s3....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008 | 08:33 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

From: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I know this is obvious, but I'm just going to state it anyway.

A 20year old german sportscar, let alone one with a motor swapped in from another series of car, does not an optimal daily driver make. You really need another car that can function as a daily driver. At your age, not really being established yet, and not really knowing a whole lot about these cars, I really would suggest that you sell it for decent money and buy something more reliable.

I waited until after I turned 30, already had a house and most of my college paid off, before I bought a toy car to tinker with that I didn't need to depend on to get me to work every day. That's what these really are.

(I know I will be flamed for the above statement so bring it on.)
+951

I agree completely. My 944 and 928 both are great cars but I would never take them seriously enough as daily driven vehicles. These cars are just way too touchy and require special care. I'm not saying you shouldn't daily drive them- I am just saying a certain percentage (a high number) shouldn't be. I don't plan on ever driving mine daily or relying on them. They're weekend only. I'll use my **** Mitsubishi for the work-week stuff.
Old 10-29-2008 | 09:06 PM
robert944h
Racer

I agree to disagree. Stock 944s can make great daily drivers if just general maintenace is kept up with. One that is neglected can be a daily drivers nightmare, but so can any car that is mistreated. I have an 1989 944 that I put over 500 miles a week on and rarely have a problem. I also don't expect my 83 callaway 944, 71 911, or 62 t-bird to handle that, but those are for the weekends and trackdays. Porsches are like girlfriends if you don't pay them enough attention they can get expensive.
Old 10-29-2008 | 09:39 PM
Jared944
Racer

Congrats on your purchase of Argento. I remember Matt and I were attempting to diagnose major electrical gremlins together while we were doing the S3 conversions on our respective cars.

None of the problems sound that difficult to fix. The one major problem with these cars are time and money. I really don't have either right now, so the car spends a lot of time in the garage (its not my daily driver).

My first recommendation to you would be to fully utilize this forum. It has proven invaluable to me throughout my Porsche experience. I would have probably sold the car long ago (not to mention even attempting the S3 swap) if it wasn't for rennlist. I don't really post that much, but I read quite a bit here. If you have any maintenance questions, they have most likely been addressed here.

My second recommendation would be to fully understand your vehicle. the S3 swap is a major upgrade, and there isn't many resources available out there. I suggest getting a hold of a factory service manual (for both the 944 and 968) and attempt to understand how the new engine integrates to the existing electrical system. Follow a wire schematic around. Draw a diagram of the current vacuum line setup. Ask questions about components that you don't know about. A thorough awareness of the function and integration of your car will alleviate a lot of the stress you have right now. Hell, I more or less built my car, and I still get stressed over small things.

Next, take everything one step at a time. Your really going to stress yourself out if you compile a huge list of broken things. What's the most important thing that you want to fix right now? Will the car still drive if you leave everything until next week (or later)? Since it is your daily driver, KNOW THE MATERIALS YOU NEED BEFORE YOU START A PROJECT. I cant stress this enough. I always seem to make a billion trips to the hardware store during a project (I should take my own advice). Get zip lock bags for hardware. Label anything you think may puzzle you later. have access to a descent metric set of tools.

Ill let you know if I can think of anything else. Once you get over the learning curve for this car, you should feel much better about these smaller projects.

Jared

Quick Reply: Rant-Rave and a multitude of questions about the s3....