Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by theykallmekem
i want to start by saying thank you to everyone because only YOU THE PEOPLE OF RENNLIST CAN CONVINCE ME TO GO INSIDE THAT DREADFUL CRAMPED PLACE MY REAR HATCH
I was in mine just the other day. After that rear-end accident I had last week, the rear of my car was tweaked enough I couldn't get the hatch open. Now, my car has a full roll cage and racing seats. I had to take the passenger seat out to climb through the cage and back there with some tools to take the latches assemblies off.

While I was back there in the fetal position, I had a vision of not being able to get out, and having to wait for my wife to notice I was missing... then asking her to tap the hatch with a hammer while I covered my face.

Luckily, however, I was able to take the latches off and push from the inside to open it.

The point of all this is: I feel your pain!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:17 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you van, great to know im not the only one

i managed last night before falling asleep to take EVERYTHING out and put it back into place. although the switch in the front does not open one side thou, i still CAN FINALLY OPEN THE HATCH WITH THE KEY !!!!!!

............just ONCE and last time . i managed to open it once with the key and its still stuck on the drivers side =....(

the weather is raining cats and dogs outside and as a result my garage is quite humid so i decided to take a break
Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

the weather is raining cats and dogs outside and as a result my garage is quite humid so i decided to take a break
I was in Jersey City today. Boy was it raining! Windy, too.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

^^ yeaa it was very windy and chilly out and garbage cans everywhere and leaves !!

OK an update: re-adjusted the hatch pins, experimented between making them longer or shorter AND EVEN matched the left sides pin to the right sides pin and no good it still gets stuck (drivers side/left).

i took apart the "hatch pin assembly" the part where the hatch pin goes into and found nothing out of the ordinary. i even tightened it and lubed with WD40 and still nothing has changed
Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van

While I was back there in the fetal position, I had a vision of not being able to get out, and having to wait for my wife to notice I was missing... then asking her to tap the hatch with a hammer while I covered my face.

HAHAHAHAHA

Same weather over here in MA. But rumor has it its going to be 70 degrees tomorrow(today) afternoon.

Now should I cruise the 944, or the 78' Honda CX500.

Ahhh choices.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

^^^ dude take the roof off the 944 and cruise that is what i did today in this wacky weekend weather !!

UPDATE: HATCH OPENS !!!!!!!!!!!!

i took EVERYTHING APART and re-assmebled everything and now it closes yay !

my advice for future situations with the hatch is that to make sure both hatch pins are equal in length and not lop-sided. otherwise, it wont close all the way even when locked, and water can get in.

also, when assembling the black "box" where the hatch pins go to lock, make sure that cone shaped thing is intact, mine is about half worn out which is maybe why my hatch got stuck. and that black box thing make sure to adjust it accordingly from let to right to match the position of the hatch because that can also throw things off >_> very delicate, eh?? thanks to all
Old 10-26-2008, 03:20 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

i'd take the honda. take the car tonight, and go to a restraunt or something.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 PM
teamking
Pro

^^^ dude take the roof off the 944 and cruise that is what i did today in this wacky weekend weather !!

UPDATE: HATCH OPENS !!!!!!!!!!!!

i took EVERYTHING APART and re-assmebled everything and now it closes yay !

my advice for future situations with the hatch is that to make sure both hatch pins are equal in length and not lop-sided. otherwise, it wont close all the way even when locked, and water can get in.

also, when assembling the black "box" where the hatch pins go to lock, make sure that cone shaped thing is intact, mine is about half worn out which is maybe why my hatch got stuck. and that black box thing make sure to adjust it accordingly from let to right to match the position of the hatch because that can also throw things off >_> very delicate, eh?? thanks to all
I had the same issue. I took out the "cone shaped things", since they had completely deteriorated and were preventing the latch from operating. Works great now, except that without the "cone shaped things", there is quite a bit of rattling.

It doesn't seem that you can replace the "cone shaped things" without buying a whole new "black box thing".

I remember back at my first job as a file clerk (where I was promoted to honorary vice president for mass mailings), they gave me a little thimble/condom like thing that you put on your thumb and you could pull out a piece of paper from a stack without having to constantly lick your thumb to create friction. I wonder where you could get some of those... might be fashioned into a nice "cone shaped thing".
Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM
teamking
Pro

^^^Rubber thimble:

http://www.buynail.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=1375
and
http://reprodepot.stores.yahoo.net/jlyfgm.html
and
http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...P2188:CL141635

Well, at $1.95, I really have no choice do I?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 AM
teamking
Pro

Update: I got the medium size from Staples and it was a little too narrow, instead of cutting it into a thimble, I used the wider section that would fit around the latch pins. So, I've got sort of a tapered rubber cylinder. It works. Rattling was reduced, but not eliminated.

I'd recommend getting the largest size available.

Anyway, I'm turning my car into a track car. Any rattling from the rear hatch has now been drowned out by every other conceivable source of noise.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 AM
951jamie
Advanced

The hatch receiver can also come lose and get out of adjustment! The are two nut on the underside that you have to loosen to make this adjustment!

jamie@944online.com
The following users liked this post:
thesmithsUK (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 05:41 AM
thesmithsUK
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 951jamie
The hatch receiver can also come lose and get out of adjustment! The are two nut on the underside that you have to loosen to make this adjustment!

jamie@944online.com
Super helpful, Jamie - this was the very last thing I tried when I had the same issue (one side would pop out on opening, but not the other). There's just enough play in the receiver's adjustment range to make a difference. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch stuck